best rewards credit card for boaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bligh

Guru
Vessel Name
Concerto
Vessel Make
1980 Cheoy Lee
For the last decade or so, I have used a Citibank American Advantage card. The 'value' of the rewards for this card has dwindled quite a bit over the years. Miles are not as valuable anymore and reward flights are harder and harder to book. I am wondering what card you guys use for rewards. I'm looking to close the acount and get a different card. Any recommendations?
Thanks
Scott

I use Cabellas. The rewards are more useful to me than the restricted air miles.

If your typical flights are more than $600 round trip then the Capital One program has value, especially the Venture card which provides two "miles" for every dollar spent. Cost is approximately $95 per year.

When last I checked the rewards below $600 were based on a flat 60,000 "miles" (30,000 below $300) so that if you have a $301 ticket its 60,000 miles. Above $600 it is a 100 miles per dollar of ticket.

With my Aadvantage card I have always assumed each mile was worth 2 cents, which is the same as the Capital One card if you count in the fact that under Capital One you get two miles for each dollar spent.

Last edited:
We use the Alaska Air visa for the mileage- it's worked well for us.

Show me the money. First National Bank of Omaha "Bucks back platinum addition" has a 1.5% cash rebate card. There is an annual fee ( $70 I think), but it's 1.5% on everything! My business charges >$l00K on it annually.

Ted

Capital One Platinum has no foreign transaction fees but have reduced the cash rewards to 1% across the board. No annual fee.

Bank America has a Bank Americard Cash Rewards card. No annual fee and you get 1-3% depending on gas, groceries or etc.

Capital One Platinum has no foreign transaction fees but have reduced the cash rewards to 1% across the board. No annual fee.

Bank America has a Bank Americard Cash Rewards card. No annual fee and you get 1-3% depending on gas, groceries or etc.

I like the BOA reward because it's simple and straight forward. People like Chase have moving targets of where you must spend to get higher rewards. Plus I have bank accounts with BOA and it makes it easy to view all at once and make payments, etc.

The American Express Blue Cash Preferred offers 6% on groceries and 3% on gas and department stores. The groceries is limited to $6000 expenditure. But still $360 a year back isn't bad. On the other hand it has a $75 fee and I don't like fees. Amex does have some good business cards with rewards too.

Back
Top Bottom