Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I don't fly, but if I did, it'd be a Grumman Goose.
You'd need that because somewhere between here and there you'll run out of fuel and have to land in the ocean.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #22
FF
Guru

"On the flybridge!"

Usually the oxygen tent has far too much motion to be useful on an ocean passage.

Perhaps on a really large boat with stabeliziation, but I measure boats in Feet not Meters .

One big problem is builders create roomarans that max interior volume at the expense of low motion space at or near water level.

Being outside at water level is kind of nice , instead of perched on a roof top .

Of course the price is high , our 50 ft boat minus 15 ft of aft cockpit makes for a smaller interior.

FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #23

Good luck with your 707! I flew professionally and also for recreation for 18yrs. After owning several planes, I can assure you that annual or 100hr mandatory inspections dwarf the cost of owning a small cruising boat. Also, remember that you have to be very careful allowing anyone to "pitch in" on flying expenses such as fuel and ramp fees, or the FAA can ground you for not being within FAR part 91. Accepting any money.for expenses can easily put you into FAR Part 135 which you have to be certified to fly. Both plane and pilot. Besides all that, sounds like a blast!
jmwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
707? Good God, who would want one of those (other than John Travolta). Gas-guzzling ineffeicient, noisy, rattletrap, the 707.

The 777 is where it's at.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #25

Haha. Yes, how true. Sorry, I mis-read your post to meaning 707...From what I've read in the past, John Travolta apparently loves his. Beauty in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Heck, many years ago, the first plane I ever owned was a Stinson. I thought it was the greatest at the time......

jmwatch is offline   Reply With Quote