Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #21
Guru

City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I'm quite fond of Guinness, but I'm very fond of Back Hand of God organic stout.

I usually buy Cutthroat "Full-Flavoured West Coast Ale" and it comes in a 500 ml tin making it very economical boat brew too.

US doesn't make all the best beer, Nya nya!

Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #22

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
The best beer is what you like, and what you can get! Kind of like the best boat... And the best anchor :-)

AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:52 AM   #23
FF
Guru

The "best beer" is the one you have aboard , or a visitor brings in a cold ice chest!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Some very, very fine beer in the US. I'll grant you that! But, then there's Westvleteren Abt 12. It's in a league of its own. I don't have a favourite brewing country. Just favourite beers--and there are many of them.

Here I brew the first commercial example of an IPA in BC (1995). Jewel in the Crown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim IPA.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	46865  
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: I saw the words "Best Beer" in the title and only one word came to mind, "Oxymoron." I don't get it. Neither does my hubby. All you beer drinkers. Did you like the taste when you started or was it an acquired taste? I understand we all have different tastes, but this is one that I only tried a couple of times because I found it to taste so bad. I'm sure many of you feel the same about Champagne, which is my drink of choice.

Just curious. In your quest for the "best beer" what are you looking for?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I saw the words "Best Beer" in the title and only one word came to mind, "Oxymoron." I don't get it. Neither does my hubby. All you beer drinkers. Did you like the taste when you started or was it an acquired taste? I understand we all have different tastes, but this is one that I only tried a couple of times because I found it to taste so bad. I'm sure many of you feel the same about Champagne, which is my drink of choice.

Just curious. In your quest for the "best beer" what are you looking for?
Guess the simple answer to your question is, it depends on how you were raised.

Personally, I refer to champagne as Emperor's Drink. Like the story about the emperor's clothing that was spun out of gold, I can't appreciate $100+ bottles of fizzy water, so I lack sophistication and have an uneducated palate.

Back to my original point. My parents raised me to try everything when it came to food. I was forced (later to much appreciate) to experience different cuisines, meats, fruits, and vegetables. Get out of my comfort zone and try stuff. To this day, there's almost nothing I won't try, and most things I can appreciate whether I choose to have them again or not.

While my number one beverage is water, drinking almost anything else that lacks a complex flavor is pointless to me. If you want to compare beer with champagne, they both are an alcoholic beverage with some amount of carbonation. Complex micro brews have flavor and charicter. Champagne is basically Colorado Koolaid (Coors Light) in an expensive bottle.

Hope you don't take this too seriously.........Empress.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Guess the simple answer to your question is, it depends on how you were raised.

Personally, I refer to champagne as Emperor's Drink. Like the story about the emperor's clothing that was spun out of gold, I can't appreciate $100+ bottles of fizzy water, so I lack sophistication and have an uneducated palate.

Back to my original point. My parents raised me to try everything when it came to food. I was forced (later to much appreciate) to experience different cuisines, meats, fruits, and vegetables. Get out of my comfort zone and try stuff. To this day, there's almost nothing I won't try, and most things I can appreciate whether I choose to have them again or not.

While my number one beverage is water, drinking almost anything else that lacks a complex flavor is pointless to me. If you want to compare beer with champagne, they both are an alcoholic beverage with some amount of carbonation. Complex micro brews have flavor and charicter. Champagne is basically Colorado Koolaid (Coors Light) in an expensive bottle.

Hope you don't take this too seriously.........Empress.

Ted
Wifey B: My parents didn't even know the word, "Cuisine." I ate what was put on the table and it wasn't generally very good. I don't even want to know what some of those meats really were. I don't recall ever seeing my father once he got home without a beer in his hand. We had the grocery store brands of soft drinks occasionally but mostly tea. And actually hubby and I drink 99% water as we don't do sodas or tea or coffee (or beer).

And don't you roll your eyes at me like that? (Said in teacher's voice)
Old 11-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: My parents didn't even know the word, "Cuisine." I ate what was put on the table and it wasn't generally very good. I don't even want to know what some of those meats really were. I don't recall ever seeing my father once he got home without a beer in his hand. We had the grocery store brands of soft drinks occasionally but mostly tea. And actually hubby and I drink 99% water as we don't do sodas or tea or coffee (or beer).

And don't you roll your eyes at me like that? (Said in teacher's voice)
I would guess water is 90% of what I drink. Seldom have more than one beer as the first is always the best. I'm also a cheap drunk. One beer, two beer, three beer, floor.

While I'm not a shrink nor ever played one on TV, you probably associate beer with your father, an unpleasant memory. Considering your childhood, I can excuse your distaste for beer. Knew you were deeply concerned about that.

Hope you are more open minded about food.

Ted
Old 11-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I would guess water is 90% of what I drink. Seldom have more than one beer as the first is always the best. I'm also a cheap drunk. One beer, two beer, three beer, floor.

While I'm not a shrink nor ever played one on TV, you probably associate beer with your father, an unpleasant memory. Considering your childhood, I can excuse your distaste for beer. Knew you were deeply concerned about that.

Hope you are more open minded about food.

Ted
Wifey B: Definitely some association. My hubby and I both are impacted by fathers who were alcoholics. Still we do drink occasionally, just not beer. Fancy drinks with umbrellas, champagne. Wine other than champagne only with the occasional multi-course meal. Wine coolers do nothing for me either.

As to food, I'm moderately adventurous, but still like the basic stuff most. Still some things it only takes one very small quantity to make me sure I don't like it. Caviar is something I can't grasp how people eat and yet one of our best friends just loves it. She grew up with it even eating it as a kid. Then we have a friend who is culinary trained and she tries anything she has a chance to try. My favorite foods I never saw as a kid. Steak to me was country style or hamburger, no rib eyes and definitely no prime rib. I was squeamish the first time I tried lobster or crab legs. Fish was what was caught in ponds and small lakes. Shrimp was fishing bait. I thought roast beef always had to be tough.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:09 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: Definitely some association. My hubby and I both are impacted by fathers who were alcoholics. Still we do drink occasionally, just not beer. Fancy drinks with umbrellas, champagne. Wine other than champagne only with the occasional multi-course meal. Wine coolers do nothing for me either.

As to food, I'm moderately adventurous, but still like the basic stuff most. Still some things it only takes one very small quantity to make me sure I don't like it. Caviar is something I can't grasp how people eat and yet one of our best friends just loves it. She grew up with it even eating it as a kid. Then we have a friend who is culinary trained and she tries anything she has a chance to try. My favorite foods I never saw as a kid. Steak to me was country style or hamburger, no rib eyes and definitely no prime rib. I was squeamish the first time I tried lobster or crab legs. Fish was what was caught in ponds and small lakes. Shrimp was fishing bait. I thought roast beef always had to be tough.
Glad you try different foods; sign of an open mind. Nothing wrong with selecting what you like.

Ted
Old 11-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #31

City: Tampa, FL
I happen to have varied tastes in beers, and like different beers at different times. But in general, if I could have only one beer for the rest of my life (thank God I don't have to make that choice!), it would be Flying Dog, Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale. MMMM!

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #32

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Had this beer out of Utah, it is good, not great, but the name and the label, I think, are a big seller.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1448898322.554895.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	46974
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #33

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Had this beer out of Utah, it is good, not great, but the name and the label, I think, are a big seller.Attachment 46974
Now THATs funny, don't care who ya are..... I would try that one. I have come to love Porters and Stouts, especially during the winter. During the summer i still like Porters but generally prefer Pale Ales and reds (or browns). I do not care for "hoppy" beers so have no love for IPAs even tho they seem to be preferred by most others. Deschutes Black Butte Porter seems to be my "go to" Porter. Brewed in Oregon and available most places around the Pacific North West.

Marty.....................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
While there are many great beers in various regions, I gotta believe the highest concentration of great beers is in Bend, OR (which is where Marty's favorite Deschutes is home-based). If you see it's made in Bend, give it a try and you won't be disappointed. Noticeably, women in Seattle primarily drink wine and women in Bend primarily drink beer. Its that good that my wife will even pass up a glass of wine for a beer from Bend.
Patemey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #35

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patemey View Post
While there are many great beers in various regions, I gotta believe the highest concentration of great beers is in Bend, OR (which is where Marty's favorite Deschutes is home-based). If you see it's made in Bend, give it a try and you won't be disappointed. Noticeably, women in Seattle primarily drink wine and women in Bend primarily drink beer. Its that good that my wife will even pass up a glass of wine for a beer from Bend.

Bend is a great little town and definitely worth a visit. And they love their beer. See the link for more info:

http://beermebend.com/bend-craft-beer-festivals/
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #36

City: Vancouver BC
Came across this blast from the past (about 40 years in my case). 8.5% alc/vol ... yeah

Looks like a road trip to Oregon is in order. Although I did go to a micro beer fair in Portland back in 1997
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer porter.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	47067  
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:37 AM   #37
FF
Guru

Sadly one question every boater should ask,

How does it taste not very cold?
Old 12-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #38

City: Vancouver BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Sadly one question every boater should ask,

How does it taste not very cold?
= ice is cheap, or keep them overboard in your crab trap
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #39
FF
Guru

"or keep them overboard in your crab trap"

Just my point about cool not cold taste.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #40

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"or keep them overboard in your crab trap"

Just my point about cool not cold taste.
Actually I can say that most porters I have tried are fine at room temp (as long as room temp is below about 60). I never tried one "warm" but have had them as warm as mid- to high-sixties. Specifically I prefer Deschutes Black Butte Porter in the 45-55 range. It is fine out of the fridge as well but I usually keep mine on the aft deck during the winter (except when below freezing). Tastiest is right around 45.

Marty.........................

MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote