Old 07-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
Guru

City: West Coast
Best Barbeque

This is for my house. I have several BBQ's, including a BGE, gas grill, smoker and my general favorite -- a Webber Kettle.

I am looking for a charcoal BBQ with the following features, all of which are available individually, but I cannot find this combination anywhere:

1. Adjustable grill height -- I want to be able to control the heat hitting the food by raising / lowering it relative to the charcoal. So, either the grill must move or the charcoal must move, I don't care which.

2. Ability to add Charcoal -- One of the problems with charcoal is is that it burns down and needs to be replenished. That isn't easily done with my Webber. I am looking for a grill that I can easily add charcoal to. Typically, this is done with a door in the front, which would be fine.

3. Ability to rotisserie. I don't care if it is aftermarket, but there must be a way to adapt the rotiss brackets.

4. Gas Lighter. I saw a webber with a propane lighting system. This isn't a deal killer, but it would be great to have.

Does anyone know where I can find a BBQ with all of these features?

Thanks, Rick
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Have you set a price range?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
A Weber Performer will do all that you ask, but you'll need to buy some aftermarket parts.

You'll find all the aftermarket parts you need here:

Reviews, Ratings, And Buying Guides To Hundreds Of Grills, Smokers, Thermometers, Accessories, Tools, Meats, Sauces, And Other Products Review & Rating

This is my go-to website for all things grilling. These guys really know their stuff.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Have you set a price range?
No price range, in fact I am toying with the idea of having something fabricated to my specs, and suspect that will be quite expensive. I don't want a very large BBQ, as I will use it only when cooking for myself and family (my Weber is a little larger than I need), so I don't think price will be an issue.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
A Weber Performer will do all that you ask, but you'll need to buy some aftermarket parts.

You'll find all the aftermarket parts you need here:

Reviews, Ratings, And Buying Guides To Hundreds Of Grills, Smokers, Thermometers, Accessories, Tools, Meats, Sauces, And Other Products Review & Rating

This is my go-to website for all things grilling. These guys really know their stuff.
I don't see how that satisfies my desire to be able to raise or lower the grill relative to the charcoal height? Also, I don't think it allows one to add charcoal easily (I have a front door in mind). I looked through the site you linked and could not find any aftermarket part could help. I have the grate with flip up sides, but it isn't easy to get the coal to the middle, and the flip up grate often interferes with the cooking.

Otherwise, I do like that grill. The site you linked looks like it has lots of great stuff. I will enjoy pouring over it. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I don't see how that satisfies my desire to be able to raise or lower the grill relative to the charcoal height? Also, I don't think it allows one to add charcoal easily (I have a front door in mind). I looked through the site you linked and could not find any aftermarket part could help. I have the grate with flip up sides, but it isn't easy to get the coal to the middle, and the flip up grate often interferes with the cooking.

Otherwise, I do like that grill. The site you linked looks like it has lots of great stuff. I will enjoy pouring over it. Thank you!

I use the flip up grate to add charcoal. Yeah, not the best but workable for what I do.

To control your temps, you'll want to install the PartyQ. It works great. It will hold a set temp for hours. OTOH, if you want to change temps quickly, that may not be the answer. You may need a Santa Maria type grill: http://www.santamariagrills.com/

If you're cooking indirect, I recently was turned on to the snake method of laying down the charcoal to get long running, consistent temps. I now use a Slow & Sear insert and just light one corner and allow the fire to slowly crawl to the rest of the charcoal. That way I can get low & slow, and when ready, move food right over the coals.

I think I've become a foodie. I also recently was introduced to sous vide. That and the Slow & Sear produces steaks as good as, if not better than, any I've ever gotten from a steakhouse.

I have too many hobbies!
Old 07-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

City: Green Country
Try a big green egg. I can fill mine and get a solid 20 hours on one load of good lump charcoal at 225-250 or push it up to 700 for a quick sear (Watch the hairs on your arms when you choose that route).

Using the after market stuff, fans and temp probes, I think it will do pretty much anything you'd care to be doing.
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
No price range, in fact I am toying with the idea of having something fabricated to my specs, and suspect that will be quite expensive. I don't want a very large BBQ, as I will use it only when cooking for myself and family (my Weber is a little larger than I need), so I don't think price will be an issue.
Well, there are some that meet the specs you've outlined but are pricey. Bull Bison, then Blaze, and Fire Magic.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:

To control your temps, you'll want to install the PartyQ. It works great. It will hold a set temp for hours.
I have something similar -- a BBQGuru on my Big Green Egg and for some applications (in my case, turkeys and pork butts), it can't be beat. But for a weeknight dinner steak, my charcoal Weber (in which I burn mesquite lump, not regular kingsford) is the tool of choice. I am just trying to improve on that.

Quote:
OTOH, if you want to change temps quickly, that may not be the answer. You may need a Santa Maria type grill: Santa Maria BBQ Grill Outfitters
I think you found exactly what I am looking for. I will study it more carefully later, but thank you now.

Quote:
I think I've become a foodie. I also recently was introduced to sous vide. That and the Slow & Sear produces steaks as good as, if not better than, any I've ever gotten from a steakhouse.

I have too many hobbies!
Sounds like you and I have a lot in common -- I sous vide almost every meal I cook. I like it so much, I got a second unit for the boat.

Thanks for your advice. _Rick
Old 07-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post
Try a big green egg. I can fill mine and get a solid 20 hours on one load of good lump charcoal at 225-250 or push it up to 700 for a quick sear (Watch the hairs on your arms when you choose that route).

Using the after market stuff, fans and temp probes, I think it will do pretty much anything you'd care to be doing.
I love the big green egg, particularly with the BBQGuru attachment. It is my go-to BBQ for turkeys and pork butts. I have not had good success searing, since I have burned the felt seal by pushing the temp too high (and a good seal is necessary for long cook temperature control.

For a weeknight steak, my focus is on being able to just sear. I have a gas BBQ with an infra red burner that sears nicely, but it cannot impart the smokey flavor that charcoal can. As a result, I use it primarily when I don't have time for charcoal or when I am cooking for a ton of people.

Thanks for your advice. -Rick
Old 07-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Well, there are some that meet the specs you've outlined but are pricey. Bull Bison, then Blaze, and Fire Magic.
I was unaware of Bull Bison and Blaze. I took a quick look, and maybe I am missing something, but I don't believe the Bull Bison offers any facility for adjusting the charcoal height and the Blaze doesn't offer easy charcoal adding. Any neither have a gas lighter. But I will study both more carefully. I have looked at Fire Magic in the past (that is what I have on my boat), and will double check their line up.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I like the convenience of gas pits, I do have one of those small metal smoke boxes, you place wet wood chips in it, place it over the flames, when the chips smolder they create a good bit of smoke which flavors whatever is being cooked.
A handful of wet chips in a double wrap packet of Al. foil with some holes poked in it and placed over the flames works well too.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
I was unaware of Bull Bison and Blaze. I took a quick look, and maybe I am missing something, but I don't believe the Bull Bison offers any facility for adjusting the charcoal height and the Blaze doesn't offer easy charcoal adding. Any neither have a gas lighter. But I will study both more carefully. I have looked at Fire Magic in the past (that is what I have on my boat), and will double check their line up.

I only use gas so this isn't something I have much knowledge of, just what I recall seeing then designing our outdoor kitchen.

Add the Coyote to your list.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #14

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Quote:
I love the big green egg, particularly with the BBQGuru attachment. It is my go-to BBQ for turkeys and pork butts. I have not had good success searing, since I have burned the felt seal by pushing the temp too high (and a good seal is necessary for long cook temperature control.

For a weeknight steak, my focus is on being able to just sear. I have a gas BBQ with an infra red burner that sears nicely, but it cannot impart the smokey flavor that charcoal can. As a result, I use it primarily when I don't have time for charcoal or when I am cooking for a ton of people.

Slightly off topic -
I have 2 BGE's and installed Rutland gaskets on both. Work great sealing things and a breeze to install. Only about $10 for each gasket plus about $7 for adhesive.
Pm me if you want the guys email I bought from
Joe
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
You may need a Santa Maria type grill: Santa Maria BBQ Grill Outfitters
Mr. Baltimore -- the Santa Maria is exactly what I am looking for. (The website doesn't show it, but there is an exact-fit rotisserie, that can be raised and lowered, separately available.) I have the 20" x 30" being delivered later today. If I like it as much as I expect to, I may replace the 54" gas Lynx in my outdoor kitchen with the Santa Maria of that size. Thanks for the recommendation! -Rick
Old 07-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
If I like it as much as I expect to, I may replace the 54" gas Lynx in my outdoor kitchen with the Santa Maria of that size. -Rick
Wifey B: That is heresy!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #17
Curmudgeon

Rick:

You're very welcome. I'm glad that worked out for you. I first saw these on one of Steve Raichlen's BBQ shows. That guys seems to use, at one time or another, every sort of grill & smoker.
Attached Thumbnails
maxresdefault.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunajoe View Post
Slightly off topic -
I have 2 BGE's and installed Rutland gaskets on both. Work great sealing things and a breeze to install. Only about $10 for each gasket plus about $7 for adhesive.
Pm me if you want the guys email I bought from
Joe
Thanks for the tip, Joe. When I burn the ones I recently installed, I will replace with those. -Rick
Old 07-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: That is heresy!
It is hard to beat gas for convenience, but in my opinion, it is harder to beat wood/charcoal for flavor. I wouldn't get rid of the Lynx, I would just move it to a patio closer to the kitchen, so that it is readily available for conveniently BBQing a lot of food.

Either way, I am going to have a hard time persuading my wife as she already thinks the small one doesn't go with the architecture of our house, and it isn't even build in. I can only imagine her reaction to a much larger builtin replacing our sleek stainless steel unit that matches the surrounding appliances with what she will regard as an iron monstrosity.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #20

City: Exumas
Vessel Name: Bad Monkey
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
It is hard to beat gas for convenience, but in my opinion, it is harder to beat wood/charcoal for flavor. I wouldn't get rid of the Lynx, I would just move it to a patio closer to the kitchen, so that it is readily available for conveniently BBQing a lot of food.

Either way, I am going to have a hard time persuading my wife as she already thinks the small one doesn't go with the architecture of our house, and it isn't even build in. I can only imagine her reaction to a much larger builtin replacing our sleek stainless steel unit that matches the surrounding appliances with what she will regard as an iron monstrosity.
Well I don't even have a BBQ on the boat yet but I think we all should "meat" up for a cook off! You all seem to be real serious about your steaks. I like that.

"Eagles may soar, but monkeys don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote