Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 826
Best Barbeque

This is for my house. I have several BBQ's, including a BGE, gas grill, smoker and my general favorite -- a Webber Kettle.

I am looking for a charcoal BBQ with the following features, all of which are available individually, but I cannot find this combination anywhere:

1. Adjustable grill height -- I want to be able to control the heat hitting the food by raising / lowering it relative to the charcoal. So, either the grill must move or the charcoal must move, I don't care which.

2. Ability to add Charcoal -- One of the problems with charcoal is is that it burns down and needs to be replenished. That isn't easily done with my Webber. I am looking for a grill that I can easily add charcoal to. Typically, this is done with a door in the front, which would be fine.

3. Ability to rotisserie. I don't care if it is aftermarket, but there must be a way to adapt the rotiss brackets.

4. Gas Lighter. I saw a webber with a propane lighting system. This isn't a deal killer, but it would be great to have.

Does anyone know where I can find a BBQ with all of these features?

Thanks, Rick
__________________
Advertisement

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,200
Have you set a price range?
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,607
A Weber Performer will do all that you ask, but you'll need to buy some aftermarket parts.

You'll find all the aftermarket parts you need here:

Reviews, Ratings, And Buying Guides To Hundreds Of Grills, Smokers, Thermometers, Accessories, Tools, Meats, Sauces, And Other Products Review & Rating

This is my go-to website for all things grilling. These guys really know their stuff.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Have you set a price range?
No price range, in fact I am toying with the idea of having something fabricated to my specs, and suspect that will be quite expensive. I don't want a very large BBQ, as I will use it only when cooking for myself and family (my Weber is a little larger than I need), so I don't think price will be an issue.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
A Weber Performer will do all that you ask, but you'll need to buy some aftermarket parts.

You'll find all the aftermarket parts you need here:

Reviews, Ratings, And Buying Guides To Hundreds Of Grills, Smokers, Thermometers, Accessories, Tools, Meats, Sauces, And Other Products Review & Rating

This is my go-to website for all things grilling. These guys really know their stuff.
I don't see how that satisfies my desire to be able to raise or lower the grill relative to the charcoal height? Also, I don't think it allows one to add charcoal easily (I have a front door in mind). I looked through the site you linked and could not find any aftermarket part could help. I have the grate with flip up sides, but it isn't easy to get the coal to the middle, and the flip up grate often interferes with the cooking.

Otherwise, I do like that grill. The site you linked looks like it has lots of great stuff. I will enjoy pouring over it. Thank you!
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I don't see how that satisfies my desire to be able to raise or lower the grill relative to the charcoal height? Also, I don't think it allows one to add charcoal easily (I have a front door in mind). I looked through the site you linked and could not find any aftermarket part could help. I have the grate with flip up sides, but it isn't easy to get the coal to the middle, and the flip up grate often interferes with the cooking.

Otherwise, I do like that grill. The site you linked looks like it has lots of great stuff. I will enjoy pouring over it. Thank you!

I use the flip up grate to add charcoal. Yeah, not the best but workable for what I do.

To control your temps, you'll want to install the PartyQ. It works great. It will hold a set temp for hours. OTOH, if you want to change temps quickly, that may not be the answer. You may need a Santa Maria type grill: http://www.santamariagrills.com/

If you're cooking indirect, I recently was turned on to the snake method of laying down the charcoal to get long running, consistent temps. I now use a Slow & Sear insert and just light one corner and allow the fire to slowly crawl to the rest of the charcoal. That way I can get low & slow, and when ready, move food right over the coals.

I think I've become a foodie. I also recently was introduced to sous vide. That and the Slow & Sear produces steaks as good as, if not better than, any I've ever gotten from a steakhouse.

I have too many hobbies!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
City: Green Country
Country: US
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 99
Try a big green egg. I can fill mine and get a solid 20 hours on one load of good lump charcoal at 225-250 or push it up to 700 for a quick sear (Watch the hairs on your arms when you choose that route).

Using the after market stuff, fans and temp probes, I think it will do pretty much anything you'd care to be doing.
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
No price range, in fact I am toying with the idea of having something fabricated to my specs, and suspect that will be quite expensive. I don't want a very large BBQ, as I will use it only when cooking for myself and family (my Weber is a little larger than I need), so I don't think price will be an issue.
Well, there are some that meet the specs you've outlined but are pricey. Bull Bison, then Blaze, and Fire Magic.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post

To control your temps, you'll want to install the PartyQ. It works great. It will hold a set temp for hours.
I have something similar -- a BBQGuru on my Big Green Egg and for some applications (in my case, turkeys and pork butts), it can't be beat. But for a weeknight dinner steak, my charcoal Weber (in which I burn mesquite lump, not regular kingsford) is the tool of choice. I am just trying to improve on that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
OTOH, if you want to change temps quickly, that may not be the answer. You may need a Santa Maria type grill: Santa Maria BBQ Grill Outfitters
I think you found exactly what I am looking for. I will study it more carefully later, but thank you now.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
I think I've become a foodie. I also recently was introduced to sous vide. That and the Slow & Sear produces steaks as good as, if not better than, any I've ever gotten from a steakhouse.

I have too many hobbies!
Sounds like you and I have a lot in common -- I sous vide almost every meal I cook. I like it so much, I got a second unit for the boat.

Thanks for your advice. _Rick
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post
Try a big green egg. I can fill mine and get a solid 20 hours on one load of good lump charcoal at 225-250 or push it up to 700 for a quick sear (Watch the hairs on your arms when you choose that route).

Using the after market stuff, fans and temp probes, I think it will do pretty much anything you'd care to be doing.
I love the big green egg, particularly with the BBQGuru attachment. It is my go-to BBQ for turkeys and pork butts. I have not had good success searing, since I have burned the felt seal by pushing the temp too high (and a good seal is necessary for long cook temperature control.

For a weeknight steak, my focus is on being able to just sear. I have a gas BBQ with an infra red burner that sears nicely, but it cannot impart the smokey flavor that charcoal can. As a result, I use it primarily when I don't have time for charcoal or when I am cooking for a ton of people.

Thanks for your advice. -Rick
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, there are some that meet the specs you've outlined but are pricey. Bull Bison, then Blaze, and Fire Magic.
I was unaware of Bull Bison and Blaze. I took a quick look, and maybe I am missing something, but I don't believe the Bull Bison offers any facility for adjusting the charcoal height and the Blaze doesn't offer easy charcoal adding. Any neither have a gas lighter. But I will study both more carefully. I have looked at Fire Magic in the past (that is what I have on my boat), and will double check their line up.

Thanks for your advice. -Rick
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Guru
 
Steve's Avatar
 
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,546
I like the convenience of gas pits, I do have one of those small metal smoke boxes, you place wet wood chips in it, place it over the flames, when the chips smolder they create a good bit of smoke which flavors whatever is being cooked.
A handful of wet chips in a double wrap packet of Al. foil with some holes poked in it and placed over the flames works well too.
__________________
Steve W.
http://mvgumbo.blogspot.com/
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I was unaware of Bull Bison and Blaze. I took a quick look, and maybe I am missing something, but I don't believe the Bull Bison offers any facility for adjusting the charcoal height and the Blaze doesn't offer easy charcoal adding. Any neither have a gas lighter. But I will study both more carefully. I have looked at Fire Magic in the past (that is what I have on my boat), and will double check their line up.

Thanks for your advice. -Rick
I only use gas so this isn't something I have much knowledge of, just what I recall seeing then designing our outdoor kitchen.

Add the Coyote to your list.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Tunajoe's Avatar
 
City: Ventura
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I love the big green egg, particularly with the BBQGuru attachment. It is my go-to BBQ for turkeys and pork butts. I have not had good success searing, since I have burned the felt seal by pushing the temp too high (and a good seal is necessary for long cook temperature control.



For a weeknight steak, my focus is on being able to just sear. I have a gas BBQ with an infra red burner that sears nicely, but it cannot impart the smokey flavor that charcoal can. As a result, I use it primarily when I don't have time for charcoal or when I am cooking for a ton of people.



Thanks for your advice. -Rick


Slightly off topic -
I have 2 BGE's and installed Rutland gaskets on both. Work great sealing things and a breeze to install. Only about $10 for each gasket plus about $7 for adhesive.
Pm me if you want the guys email I bought from
Joe
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #15
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
You may need a Santa Maria type grill: Santa Maria BBQ Grill Outfitters
Mr. Baltimore -- the Santa Maria is exactly what I am looking for. (The website doesn't show it, but there is an exact-fit rotisserie, that can be raised and lowered, separately available.) I have the 20" x 30" being delivered later today. If I like it as much as I expect to, I may replace the 54" gas Lynx in my outdoor kitchen with the Santa Maria of that size. Thanks for the recommendation! -Rick
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #16
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
If I like it as much as I expect to, I may replace the 54" gas Lynx in my outdoor kitchen with the Santa Maria of that size. -Rick
Wifey B: That is heresy!
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #17
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,607
Rick:

You're very welcome. I'm glad that worked out for you. I first saw these on one of Steve Raichlen's BBQ shows. That guys seems to use, at one time or another, every sort of grill & smoker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	54637  
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunajoe View Post
Slightly off topic -
I have 2 BGE's and installed Rutland gaskets on both. Work great sealing things and a breeze to install. Only about $10 for each gasket plus about $7 for adhesive.
Pm me if you want the guys email I bought from
Joe
Thanks for the tip, Joe. When I burn the ones I recently installed, I will replace with those. -Rick
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #19
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: That is heresy!
It is hard to beat gas for convenience, but in my opinion, it is harder to beat wood/charcoal for flavor. I wouldn't get rid of the Lynx, I would just move it to a patio closer to the kitchen, so that it is readily available for conveniently BBQing a lot of food.

Either way, I am going to have a hard time persuading my wife as she already thinks the small one doesn't go with the architecture of our house, and it isn't even build in. I can only imagine her reaction to a much larger builtin replacing our sleek stainless steel unit that matches the surrounding appliances with what she will regard as an iron monstrosity.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
City: Exumas
Country: Bahamas
Vessel Name: Bad Monkey
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
It is hard to beat gas for convenience, but in my opinion, it is harder to beat wood/charcoal for flavor. I wouldn't get rid of the Lynx, I would just move it to a patio closer to the kitchen, so that it is readily available for conveniently BBQing a lot of food.

Either way, I am going to have a hard time persuading my wife as she already thinks the small one doesn't go with the architecture of our house, and it isn't even build in. I can only imagine her reaction to a much larger builtin replacing our sleek stainless steel unit that matches the surrounding appliances with what she will regard as an iron monstrosity.
Well I don't even have a BBQ on the boat yet but I think we all should "meat" up for a cook off! You all seem to be real serious about your steaks. I like that.
__________________

__________________
Capstan


"Eagles may soar, but monkeys don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012