Old 09-24-2016, 05:38 AM   #61
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I'm sure it is no consolation, but it is not transformers that make that bang, but a fuse. The fuse wire is surrounded with explosive so it blows out any arc that might start. Explosive fuses. Means there is a fault or short down the line. Like a squirrell on an insulator.

At least it is fall so it is not so hot. Just kidding, I know sfl.
Learn something new every day.

Thanks!

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #62
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Power is back on. I shouted "thank you" out the window. A you're welcome came back from the top of the pole. He said a palm frond had fallen on it. He confirmed it was the fuse.
Brings up an interesting topic of above ground vs. underground power lines. It's been a discussion in our neighborhood but as going underground is costly and requires 100% homeowner approval, and is very expensive for neighborhoods, it's not likely to ever happen. 37% of FPL is underground, including almost all new neighborhoods.

Advantages of underground:
-Appearance
-Fewer power interruptions

Disadvantages:
-Longer outages
-Susceptibility to flooding
-Repairs may require planned outages and excavation

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #63
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Very disruptive to go from overhead to underground in an existing neighborhood. Probably not worth it. If building a new neighborhood, then yep, underground.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #64
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
B&B, my neighbor has his power running underground from the pole to his house. Mine is a typical overhead connection to a weather head.

During Hurricane Andrew we both lost the connection between the house and the pole. Falling trees brought down my overhead line and the roots of the falling trees damaged his underground cable.

About ten days later power company trucks came down the street reconnecting the houses. They skipped his house because of his underground connection. It was probably another week before he got his power back.

We did run an extension cord from my house so he could run his refrigerator and some fans.

That's an example of the longer repair time you mentioned.

My power outage last night would not have happened if the lines were
underground. That is an example of the greater reliability you mentioned.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #65
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Very disruptive to go from overhead to underground in an existing neighborhood. Probably not worth it. If building a new neighborhood, then yep, underground.
Well, the odds of getting 100% to agree and sign are 0% so not going to happen in our neighborhood. Still it sits on the HOA webpages and has apparently for years, at least since we moved here in 2012.

If HOA's were tumors, ours is benign. It was created decades ago to put in a guard house and gate and fund security for the neighborhood. Contributions are voluntary. However much money they have is how many hours a week security works. (It's 168 hours now). Must work as no crimes in years. All the associations near us are basically like this as there is no property deeded to them and no mention in the deeds nor do they have any legal position. No HOA rules or restrictions.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #66

Qoute : Install a sub panel in your home which will be your "inverter panel"

This option is going to have to be installed by a licensed electrical contractor, filed, and inspected. This would also have to include a transfer switch, or running homeruns to needed areas. I'm not sure what the prices are in Florida ,but you could easily be looking at 2-3k if you were in New Jersey ? New York.

I agree with Wes K, get a motel
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #67
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
Qoute : Install a sub panel in your home which will be your "inverter panel"

This option is going to have to be installed by a licensed electrical contractor, filed, and inspected. This would also have to include a transfer switch, or running homeruns to needed areas. I'm not sure what the prices are in Florida ,but you could easily be looking at 2-3k if you were in New Jersey ? New York.

I agree with Wes K, get a motel
Get an interlock kit for your panel. Many panel makers have them you can buy at an electrical distributor, or online, you can find them at Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-...GK2C/203030954
I used a 60 amp breaker.

That uses your existing panel to power your home.
It interlocks the main breaker with the gen breaker so neither can be on at the same time.
I did that with my Square-D Homeline panel.

So then no need for an electrician or a subpanel. You can power every single circuit in the home if you wish. I even ran my central air off a 8000 watt, 13000 watt surge gen on the last huricane..

We did not use the oven or the dryer, everything else was used..
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #68

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Disregarding the cost, would something like a Tesla Powerwall do it?
Yes. Or a Tesla car! Not standard equipment, but I have a hybrid and a battery electric car, and many hobbyist owners have found ways to draw from their cars for backup AC. My Leaf has a 24 KWH battery that in theory could run my house for a while. There is serious discussion and research on having bidirectional flows of power between the grid and electric cars, mostly for grid load balancing.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #69
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Get an interlock kit for your panel. Many panel makers have them you can buy at an electrical distributor, or online, you can find them at Home Depot.
Square D Homeline Outdoor Generator Inter-Lock Kit-HOMRBGK2C - The Home Depot

It interlocks the main breaker with the gen breaker so neither can be on at the same time.

So then no need for an electrician or a subpanel. You can power every single circuit in the home if you wish

Mine is actually a separate, enclosed DPDT knife switch. Same idea.

I don't know why anyone would want to buy a second panel, or limit their generator to powering just a few preselected circuits.

Worse yet, everything I read suggests you need to buy a big enough generator to power ALL the circuits in the panel to their full capacity all the time. Who DOES that???
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #70
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yep, if you sized gennie to handle everything at once, you would have a big beast.

I've learned load management with my 8kW: There are three big loads in house: AC, waterheater and dryer. You can run one of the three. All the other loads are "little", so no restrictions. Pick a big load and run it, all little loads stay on.

Entire panel is hot once transferred to gennie.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #71

Quote:
Square D Homeline Outdoor Generator Inter-Lock Kit-HOMRBGK2C - The Home Depot
I used a 60 amp breaker.

I did that with my Square-D Homeline panel.

So then no need for an electrician or a subpanel. You can power every single circuit in the home if you wish. I even ran my central air off a 8000 watt, 13000 watt surge gen on the last huricane..

We did not use the oven or the dryer, everything else was used..

You still need a licensed electrician to install. While you may be very handy, what you are advising is at the very least illegal, and potentially dangerous. If a fire occurs, insurance wont cover loss. When you go to sell, many municipalities do a reinspect with all the trades covered (Mine does),and if you are caught, it is a $5000 fine, and then you still have to hire a contractor. While giving advise on this site to help someone increase their knowledge base, it is not a good idea to go as far as you did.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
You still need a licensed electrician to install. While you may be very handy, what you are advising is at the very least illegal, and potentially dangerous. If a fire occurs, insurance wont cover loss. When you go to sell, many municipalities do a reinspect with all the trades covered (Mine does),and if you are caught, it is a $5000 fine, and then you still have to hire a contractor. While giving advise on this site to help someone increase their knowledge base, it is not a good idea to go as far as you did.

I do not know WHERE you live, but where I live in Virginia this is fully legal.

So why are you acting like the pope and getting all righteous on me about something you are clearly ignorant of??

I replaced my entire fuse panel, upgrading from 150 to 200 amp and had code compliance approve the work, otherwise Dominion power wont hook you up to the new meter base.

I had to go and pull my own permit, as a homeowner in Virginia we are allowed to do these things.
AND I am not a licensed electrician.
Frankly your ignorance is appalling and then you got the gall to slam me about advice?
Old 09-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #73

Quote:
I do not know WHERE you live, but where I live in Virginia this is fully legal.

So why are you acting like the pope and getting all righteous on me about something you are clearly ignorant of??

I replaced my entire fuse panel, upgrading from 150 to 200 amp and had code compliance approve the work, otherwise Dominion power wont hook you up to the new meter base.

I had to go and pull my own permit, as a homeowner in Virginia we are allowed to do these things.
AND I am not a licensed electrician.
Frankly your ignorance is appalling and then you got the gall to slam me about advice?
I am licensed in two states,and in Florida you also need a license.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #74

Under Florida statute, a homeowner IS allowed to do electrical work at his/her own dwelling, and it does need to be filed ,and inspected. So while you should be proud that you could tackle a job of this magnitude, and get passed off by the inspector, I don't think you should be giving another person advice as to doing their own work without knowing their abilities. And it was a good thing that in your second post ,you eluded to the fact that this was a much larger project you took on.You made it sound in the first post like it was a simple thing to just purchase the interlock, and you are done, which is not the case.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #75
Guru

Seems that for aggressive discussion, boat (and home) electrics have replaced anchors. Very entertaining.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #76
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hmmm...Electric anchors?

Old 09-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #77
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Hmmmm...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	56686  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:50 AM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Under Florida statute, a homeowner IS allowed to do electrical work at his/her own dwelling, and it does need to be filed ,and inspected. So while you should be proud that you could tackle a job of this magnitude, and get passed off by the inspector, I don't think you should be giving another person advice as to doing their own work without knowing their abilities. And it was a good thing that in your second post ,you eluded to the fact that this was a much larger project you took on.You made it sound in the first post like it was a simple thing to just purchase the interlock, and you are done, which is not the case.
Anyone with half a brain can install a breaker interlock into a panel, especially when it is made for that panel and they have some experience. And of course you are an electrician and will discourage anyone from working with electricity to keep you income flowing in.

People thankfully according to the law do not have to use your type services in many states.
And people with half a brain will know for themselves if they are willing to work on their indoor panels, yet you if you got your way would make that illegal.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 AM   #79

Its the other half of your brain that concerns me. Lets compare the statistics : sdowney successfully completes 1 job, tinped's two companies successfully completes 33000 jobs since 1981.I make half my income from weekend warriors like yourself. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:33 AM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Its the other half of your brain that concerns me. Lets compare the statistics : sdowney successfully completes 1 job, tinped's two companies successfully completes 33000 jobs since 1981.I make half my income from weekend warriors like yourself. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the glowing endorsement.
Anyone who reads your first post again to me and your responses, will clearly see it as an attack against those who DIY their own electrical work.

Curious why you think I only did one job?
I have put in 3 new panels, 2 were new work.
I also rewired my entire boat AC system.
I have met electricians like you, pretty much if they don't do the work, they hate what your do.
And also plumbers have the same attitude.
I was helping a friend do the plumbing in his addition, full bath and water heater, and the codes guy was a former plumber and kept trying to get us to hire out a plumber friend he had with every inspection he did.