Old 09-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
In general it is often better to find a way to happily get along with your neighbors. Even if you "win", or only have to pay a nominal fine, there is a cost in your relationship with your community.
Note that in all circumstances I said talk to your neighbors, the ones who would be impacted and get their support. So, I'd cover neighbors. As to the Commandos who would come from blocks away to complain you were in violation, getting along with them isn't very important to me. I've seen some crazy Condo Commando action in South Florida.

Frankly, if I was in that HOA I'd try to get that covenant reversed. It says passed by the board so I'm wondering if it was an original covenant or one later added.

Our HOA is voluntary and the biggest argument they've had was over a former head of the HOA painting the bridges and many didn't like the color. Current topic is underground wiring and as that requires 100% agreement, is not likely ever to take place.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #42

City: Ft. Myers, FL
I have a Westinghouse WH7500 gasoline powered generator. 7,500w continuous, 9,000w peak. It feeds in to a Reliance Controls 310A Pro/Tran 2 manual transfer switch via a NMEA L14-30 feed. The generator has 4 x 120v 5-20R outlets and 1 x 120/240v L14-30R twist outlet.

Batteries would be MightyMax 12v 100ah ML100-12 SLA (x 6).

The inverter would probably be the Xantrex Freedom HF 1800.

From a connection standpoint, would I use one of the 5-20R 120v outlets to feed the AC side of the inverter to feed the Xantrex?

tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
I have a Westinghouse WH7500 gasoline powered generator. 7,500w continuous, 9,000w peak. It feeds in to a Reliance Controls 310A Pro/Tran 2 manual transfer switch via a NMEA L14-30 feed. The generator has 4 x 120v 5-20R outlets and 1 x 120/240v L14-30R twist outlet.

Batteries would be MightyMax 12v 100ah ML100-12 SLA (x 6).

The inverter would probably be the Xantrex Freedom HF 1800.

From a connection standpoint, would I use one of the 5-20R 120v outlets to feed the AC side of the inverter to feed the Xantrex?
How long could it power your house based on fuel there?
Old 09-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #44

I would have 50 gallons of fuel on hand; expected run time at 50% load is 12 hours. With 6.6 gal tank, equates to about 0.5 GPH. Running 16 hrs per day breaks down to about 5 days. If I couldn't find refills within that time locally, we'd probably bug out as we'd be in deep doggie doo by that time.

Could stretch that out if needed.

EDIT: Actually, the more I do the math, the lower I would see my consumption. When I tested the system, I was only running at about 30% load with everything running (except the stove). The house A/C is NOT run off of the generator. So I would expect to get another day or possibly two of run time.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
OK...

We have two diesel generators that automatically start in the event of a power outage. If the first one picks up the load properly then the second one shuts down a few minutes later.

These run the entire property. House, garage, shop, etc...

From power off, to full power back on is approx 3.5 seconds.

We have enough fuel to last much longer than we realistically need, but its hard to get fuel delivered unless you are buying several hundred gallons.

When the power goes out we also get an email, indicating the outage and the generator status. We can also see our voltage, current, frequency using a web browser.

In all fairness though, I do this for a living... so its easy to spend company money.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #46
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
In my opinion gasoline is a poor fuel for a standby generator. It has a very short shelf life. Gasoline generators are also prone to be hard to start if they sit unused for long periods of time.

My generator will run on gasoline, natural gas, or propane. I've never put gasoline in it and I've got about a weeks supply of propane stored in a ventilated shed. It will never go bad. I start it once a year at the start of the hurricane season.

Diesel is also a good option as it can be stored for long periods of time.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
In my opinion gasoline is a poor fuel for a standby generator. It has a very short shelf life. Gasoline generators are also prone to be hard to start if they sit unused for long periods of time.

My generator will run on gasoline, natural gas, or propane. I've never put gasoline in it and I've got about a weeks supply of propane stored in a ventilated shed. It will never go bad. I start it once a year at the start of the hurricane season.

Diesel is also a good option as it can be stored for long periods of time.
All of that may be true, however since I already have the investment I'm limited to working with what I've got.

The gas will always be fresh as I can simply put the fuel into the wife's car and refill the gas cans with fresh fuel as needed.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
All of that may be true, however since I already have the investment I'm limited to working with what I've got.

The gas will always be fresh as I can simply put the fuel into the wife's car and refill the gas cans with fresh fuel as needed.
I must ask this. Where do you store the gasoline?
Old 09-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I must ask this. Where do you store the gasoline?
When I have the cans filled, they are outside. I only keep one filled when we're not in any severe weather threats. In the event of a storm, they'll be filled and inside the garage. Once the storm is passed, they'll be outside again.

Oddly enough, there is no HOA rule about this. There is however a rule against storing propane tanks for BBQ grills.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
When I have the cans filled, they are outside. I only keep one filled when we're not in any severe weather threats. In the event of a storm, they'll be filled and inside the garage. Once the storm is passed, they'll be outside again.

Oddly enough, there is no HOA rule about this. There is however a rule against storing propane tanks for BBQ grills.
Were I your neighbor I would find this far more disturbing than your generator.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Were I your neighbor I would find this far more disturbing than your generator.
Yeah, I hear ya.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #52
FF
Guru

"I've got about a weeks supply of propane stored in a ventilated shed."

Hopefully the gen set and fuel are above any hurricane flooding.

The newest FEMA suggestion is to mount the gen set in the attic , and the propane to a heavy concrete pad , so 100-200G wont just float away.

"Evacuating in place" is the gov concept.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #53

"The newest FEMA suggestion is to mount the gen set in the attic"
Is that true?? That does sounds like something from the gov't. Unfortunately why would you need a generator if everything else in your house is flooded? No fridge, no freezer, no air conditioners, everything flooded and ruined. But my generator up in the attic runs!
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #54
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Man, whoever suggests putting a propane fueled genset in an attic needs to be dope-slapped. So wrong on many levels...

In my and my folks place, we have provisions to rig the gennie and hoist it up to the floor joists above should flooding be imminent.

We too tend to shelter in place, even if that means some risk. Mostly because the gov't knuckleheads prevent returning in a timely fashion. "It's not safe..." Oh pleeeaasse... They don't realize that by sticking to a "zero risk" policy regarding and thus delaying return, they are encouraging folks to take large risks by staying put. Knuckleheads.

Rant off...
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #55
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Seems like the knuckleheads are those that build (or allow building to take place) in areas that are known to flood. 🤔

Of course, recent storms have caused flooding in areas that have not flooded in the past. A friend of mine was flooded out during Sandy on the Jersey shore. He rebuilt up on stilts putting his car parking underneath.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #56
Guru

If my generator goes underwater, the house is not safe to have electricity. I'll have to leave. Youre not suggesting that the generator be run in the attic are you?
Old 09-24-2016, 12:53 AM   #57
Guru

I'm sitting in the dark as I type this. The transformer on the pole outside my house exploded a while ago. It will take the power company several hours to replace it. I sure wish I had one of those whole house generators that start automatically when the power goes off. 62% battery left in the pad.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:59 AM   #58
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'm sure it is no consolation, but it is not transformers that make that bang, but a fuse. The fuse wire is surrounded with explosive so it blows out any arc that might start. Explosive fuses. Means there is a fault or short down the line. Like a squirrell on an insulator.

At least it is fall so it is not so hot. Just kidding, I know sfl.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:05 AM   #59
Guru

Thanks Ski, sounds like a fuse will be easier to fix. I think I hear a truck out there now.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:30 AM   #60
Guru

Power is back on. I shouted "thank you" out the window. A you're welcome came back from the top of the pole. He said a palm frond had fallen on it. He confirmed it was the fuse.