Old 08-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Baton Rouge, LA

My hometown is a mess. Huge rain for 4 days or so has caused flooding beyond anything seen here, ever. Rescues in regular neighborhoods that I've been through many times, so totally unexpected by everyone from government to the homeowner. The usual good guys are doing their jobs above and beyond, police, sheriffs, Coast Guard, National Guard, etc. The really unexpected good guys are the boaters. Call went out that anyone with a boat is welcome to help with sar, and these guys showed up in droves. The interstate I-10 has been shut down, so these guys have been launching from the entry/exit ramps on 10 and going throug neighborhoods getting people out to dry land. Nobody looking to be a hero, just doing what needs to be done.
Lots of people trapped on 10 in their cars when it was shut down, spent the night in the cars last night. I missed that party by 10 minutes after I tried to go checks on the boat in my slip, no luck on that count, roads shut down south of 10 where I needed to go. Turned around and hauled ass back toward BTR and got stuck in a four lane wide traffic jam and held up by the overflowing Amite River. Police were letting one lane go through the water on the bridge, maybe 18 inches plus. I don't see how the little cars made it and was praying one of the wouldn't stall and stop the whole parade. I got through and 10 minutes later I-10 was shut down. Way too close.
It's a catastrophe here, 20K plus people flooded out, no place to live and lots with no flood insurance because it's never flooded like this. The numbers aren't in but 20K is probably way light considering this disaster stretches from BTR east to the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain. I'm good through no fault of my own, I bought my house on high ground and didn't even know it.
Now the boat issue remains to be seen, it's either floating or not. Really doesn't bother me all that much after seeing what all these other guys are going through.
Mike
Baton Rouge

Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Baton Rouge, LA

Damn Mike. Hate to hear that. My wife was born in BR and we have family who work there (but live out of town).

Hope y'all are OK.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
Guru

I'm good Dude, thanks for asking, daughter here with me till this is over, she didn't get flooded but was worried that she might. Son lives in Houston and the best girlfriend in the world is in Corpus Christi with grandkids.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Be safe Mr. GC...
Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Wow Mike, sorry for your troubles but thankful your family is safe physically.

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Man, the floods look devastating. Glad you are fairing well Commanch. What about the rest of you guys checking in when you can. How about Paul and Star210? How about our Thibodaux contingent?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
Gulf, It's horrific! Most of our family is in Baton Rouge. We've been glued to FB all day getting updates. Cell service is pretty much down since an ATT station took on water. FB via wifi is the best way to communicate. Areas that have not flooded in 50-100 years (or more) are flooding. And they're not in flood zones, so mostly no flood insurance. My niece has 5' of water in her house. My brother has water up to his foundation and will probably have water on the house overnight. Same with my husbands sister. My MIL will also have water in her house. They've all evacuated so we won't know until a day or so.

One clarification: Are you sure it was I-10 that was shutdown and had stranded passengers and not I-12?
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Wow-been following this on the news. What a disaster. However, great to see that so many of those who can help, are out there doing so. Big thanks to them all.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
What about the rest of you guys checking in when you can. How about Paul and Star210? How about our Thibodaux contingent?

Great idea Don. Star had a post earlier today I think but haven't heard from Steve or Swampu Paul since this got started. Trying to think of others off the top of my head.

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Steve from Thibodaux posted on Star0210's thread titled "ATTN S. Louisiana boaters...urgent request" He said "My oldest son lives near Lafayette, yesterday the water came up to about an inch from his threshold, the rain slacked off and it receded some. The road into his subdivision has been closed do to flooding since yesterday AM. "
Old 08-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #11
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Don, Thibodaux and I believe Houma are doing fine I checked my boat in Houma yesterday morning the water in the marina right off the GICW mile 57 WHL was up maybe 10-12" above normal. We did have lots of rain Friday but Sat. and Sunday just light drizzle. I am sure here may have been some street flooding but I haven't heard of anything major.
LOTS of flooding North of Lake Pontchartrain, areas of and around Baton Rouge, and Lafayette about 11 inches of rain the last 3 days. I really think the terrain around here is so flat it would take a tremendous amount of water to cause widespread flooding even thogh we are only 10-15' above sea level.
I have sons in Lafayette and Baton Rouge, street flooding in their neighborhoods and yards but not in their houses. Our thoughts go to the thousands who are now homeless.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Definitely very serious and very tragic. We've been checking it periodically online
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:11 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
Gulf, It's horrific! Most of our family is in Baton Rouge. We've been glued to FB all day getting updates. Cell service is pretty much down since an ATT station took on water. FB via wifi is the best way to communicate. Areas that have not flooded in 50-100 years (or more) are flooding. And they're not in flood zones, so mostly no flood insurance. My niece has 5' of water in her house. My brother has water up to his foundation and will probably have water on the house overnight. Same with my husbands sister. My MIL will also have water in her house. They've all evacuated so we won't know until a day or so.

One clarification: Are you sure it was I-10 that was shutdown and had stranded passengers and not I-12?
Yes, I-12 not 10. But now 10 has the problems as the water flows south. PM me if I can help them.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:25 AM   #14
Guru

Forgot to mention, got a text from the guy next to my slip, he stayed aboard for this, said Old School is floating and sitting pretty. Big giant relief, can't get down there till water goes down and roads open, maybe 3-4 days.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Forgot to mention, got a text from the guy next to my slip, he stayed aboard for this, said Old School is floating and sitting pretty. Big giant relief, can't get down there till water goes down and roads open, maybe 3-4 days.
Don't blame him for staying aboard. Boats float. We were in SC during the storms and floods a year ago. We were actually in NC part of it, but others on our boat, safely docked in Myrtle Beach.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Yes, I-12 not 10. But now 10 has the problems as the water flows south. PM me if I can help them.
Thanks, I was just checking on family and saw I-10 was closed now as well. So sad.

At least 4 family members have water in their houses and dozens of HS friends have water in their houses.

I'm likely to be making a trip down with supplies to help out.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
Thanks, I was just checking on family and saw I-10 was closed now as well. So sad.

At least 4 family members have water in their houses and dozens of HS friends have water in their houses.

I'm likely to be making a trip down with supplies to help out.
River Rat: I just PM you my cell number if I can help out please call.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #18
Guru

Dude, RTF, Craig, Don, Rvr Rat, Band B, Moon: Thanks for the kind words, its a weird time in this neck of the woods.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Gulf, thank you for your PM. That's very kind. I've replied.

You and yours are okay?

Kitty
Old 08-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #20

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
River Rat
What do they need? We can try and bring what they need if we know where they are. Water, Food, Portable Gen etc.

kartracer is online now   Reply With Quote