Old 08-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
As a practical matter there's nothing I can do to help these folks physically but if I understand correctly many of the areas flooded are not in a flood plain requiring insurance? If you folks with skin in the game could keep us apprised of any young couples or other worthy folks needing assistance please post a go fund me style account link so those of us who wish to can contribute.

I bought a soon to be forgotten lunch for four at Applebee's today. Nothing against the restaurant or the meal but that bill could just as easily purchased two weeks worth of diapers or something else practical for a recently homeless family.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #22
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Good idea, Craig. I would certainly kick in to help anyone recommended by a fellow TF'er.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #23
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
As a practical matter there's nothing I can do to help these folks physically but if I understand correctly many of the areas flooded are not in a flood plain requiring insurance? If you folks with skin in the game could keep us apprised of any young couples or other worthy folks needing assistance please post a go fund me style account link so those of us who wish to can contribute.

I bought a soon to be forgotten lunch for four at Applebee's today. Nothing against the restaurant or the meal but that bill could just as easily purchased two weeks worth of diapers or something else practical for a recently homeless family.

+1
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:35 PM   #24

I'm sure there will be others but here are a few:

American Red Cross
NOLA Pay It Forward Fund: Helping Families in Neighboring Parishes | Greater New Orleans Foundation
https://apel.site-ym.com/donations/donate.asp?id=14775 helps teachers rebuild classrooms
https://www.gofundme.com/2jdh3xg4 Denham Springs Animal shelter
Companion Animal Alliance pet shelter
https://www.gofundme.com/2j453p7w humane society
folivier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #25

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
Y'all are so great! I think my family has enough folks in the area to cover them. But, so so many do not! And of course the Red Cross is always a good choice.

Here's a link to an Amazon wishlist my friend set up for her church. They are supplying one of the shelters. It has baby food, hygiene items, etc.

"The items purchased from this list will go to Grace Church, St. Francisville, Louisiana, for delivery to people in shelters who have been displaced from their homes in the historic 2016 floods in southeast Louisiana."

https://www.amazon.com/registry/gift..._mdJSxbVPTAKVN

If I come across a particular need I'll certainly let you all know. :-)

Kitty
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #26
Guru

When it floods here someone almost always drives into fast running water cutting a road or flowing over a bridge. The car can get washed away, often a drowning or an heroic rescue results. So if I could say one thing, don`t drive into flooded roadways unless you know for sure you can get through.
The only thing I know for sure about Baton Rouge is it gets a mention on the Donald Fagen(of Steely Dan fame)song "I`m Lester the Nightfly at old Baton Rouge...)
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #27
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Maybe overstating things, but I think this is history being made in Baton Rouge and the larger area around here for sure but where else has something on this magnitude happened? Pompei on a much smaller scale comes to mind. Wonder what happened after it was blown away by the volcano. Would love to be an anthropologist 30 years from now and see what the changes are. Where do these folks that lost it all go? How will this upset the status quo over the next 10 20 30 years? We're just a blip on the grand scheme of life but I'd love to be around long enough to see how it works out.
Well then, one more bourbon/water then off to rack time.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #28

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
We got great news last night. 3 of the houses we just knew were under water actually were not! And the water in Denham Springs has dropped enough to check on my nieces house.

So many great stories of people helping each other!

Kitty
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 AM   #29
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Maybe overstating things, but I think this is history being made in Baton Rouge and the larger area around here for sure but where else has something on this magnitude happened?

Katrina?
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #30
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
Katrina?
Katrina for sure. Met some Texas friends in New Orleans a while back and they wanted to see the 9th Ward area, so we took a tour. I expected to see trashed out homes etc. but that was not the case at all. I think a lot of young people are moving in and fixing it up. That's the upside. Downside is the crime that is out of control and getting worse. When I was a kid I spent summers there as my Mom and family were from there. You could walk anywhere without fear. Not now, even the Quarter is best viewed from a taxi window at night.
Local news last night said 40K+ homes destroyed/trashed in the flooded area. Hope I can get to the boat by this weekend.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #31

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Maybe overstating things, but I think this is history being made in Baton Rouge and the larger area around here for sure but where else has something on this magnitude happened? Pompei on a much smaller scale comes to mind. Wonder what happened after it was blown away by the volcano. Would love to be an anthropologist 30 years from now and see what the changes are. Where do these folks that lost it all go? How will this upset the status quo over the next 10 20 30 years? We're just a blip on the grand scheme of life but I'd love to be around long enough to see how it works out.
Well then, one more bourbon/water then off to rack time.
Been through the water flooding thing twice in my life. Once with Katrina and 47 years ago today in Camille. I fell so bad for the people in Louisiana. That is a tough situation.

Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote