ban may be keeping some from entering marine industry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a time when its all about jobs, I saw this coming. My son tested positive for pot and was let go from a fishing boat. Sad, but Federal vs State. Please lets not turn this political I don't want to go to Deep End Jail!!

As to your title, "Ban may be keeping some from entering marine industry." True and not necessarily new although perhaps an increased issue. Some decide pot is more important to them than the industry. That's sure placing pot at a very high importance. We've all dealt with workplace rules we didn't like. I hated wearing a suit and tie to work but did so for several years, early in my career. Have not put a tie on properly since and in the few places one was required I just looped one around my neck without tying it.

Someone mentioned tattoos and piercings. We allow as long as not distasteful or offensive but one of the employers I most respect doesn't allow visible. So, go there and see a girl with her arm wrapped by an ace bandage you know. However, we find acceptance changing as we have little old ladies who shop and are fascinated by the young girl's beautiful tattoos. On the other hand, removal is a thriving business and would be more so if better and not so expensive.

Drug tests should be routinely done on politicians. Since tests of common-carrier drivers are required, people making laws also need clear heads.

I haven't heard about accident rates rising, but I know in Colorado there was a rise in Emergency Room visits for kids for marijuanna related issues. Some were because its more available, and some were mistakes as it was in candies and cookies that had marijuanna in them.

Here's a story about a kid who unknowingly brought THC laced gummy bears to school and gave them out to her friends:

Marijuana-Infused Gummies Unknowingly Handed Out by Elementary School Student to Classmates

"all the fuss" is about breaking the law. The employer in this case was federal government, who, in no uncertain terms, says pot is illegal. Getting drunk is not illegal, getting stoned is.

as for it "not being a crime"....if you are a Federal Law Enforcement Officer, it is a crime. For example, if you're on your boat and get boarded by the Coast Guard, and are in possession of pot, you're in trouble.

Possession of pot on US waters is a crime. Everyone understands that.

"All the fuss" is about smoking pot some time in the past in a place where it is completely legal. You are not breaking the law just because you get on a boat a month later.

Possession of pot on US waters is a crime. Everyone understands that.

"All the fuss" is about smoking pot some time in the past in a place where it is completely legal. You are not breaking the law just because you get on a boat a month later.

I don't think anyone here has implied that you would be breaking the law being on a boat after smoking in the past.

I would take exception to the term "completely legal" however, since if you decide to light up in front of any federal officer, he or she can arrest you.

Also, possesion in state waters would be illegal, if the USCG was involved.

I guess the moral to the story is that even if a state has legalized it, smoking it, may not be without consequences.

Last edited:
Drug tests should be routinely done on politicians. Since tests of common-carrier drivers are required, people making laws also need clear heads.

Great idea.

Attachments

• D379479C-F8F5-482C-90D0-B1AE523CC5FA.jpg
    D379479C-F8F5-482C-90D0-B1AE523CC5FA.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 48
Haha I can't believe this is even being talked about!

1) It will NEVER cause a shortage of mariners!

2) It's not a new law. It's been a law, once states decided to legalize it, the CG and companies put out many notices saying in big letters "IT'S NOT LEGAL, DO NOT SMOKE WEED!"

3) If your son got popped with a hair test, it's not a DOT approved test so it won't go on his record. A pee test is another thing though.

Sucks he did it, it happens all the time, but it's not like it's a secret.

What is legal and what is illegal is not as important to me as safety. Many years ago one of my clients was forced to take back a driver who they had fired for impairment who proceeded within months to plow one of the company's semis into a family in a station wagon, killing five people. The lawyer for the family's estate used the company's own words about how dangerous this man was against the company.

Spent too many years representing companies operating factories / trucking operations to not have a concern about addicted employees, both alcohol and drugs.

There's a difference in being fired for drug testing and breaking the law.

Smoking cigarettes is legal and in many cases will disqualify you from a job.

It is what it is.

Until the law is changed the Feds are just following it.

Also if you get a card or flagged by the feds you'll be disqualified from owning firearms for a year..

Last edited:
What is legal and what is illegal is not as important to me as safety. Many years ago one of my clients was forced to take back a driver who they had fired for impairment who proceeded within months to plow one of the company's semis into a family in a station wagon, killing five people. The lawyer for the family's estate used the company's own words about how dangerous this man was against the company.

Spent too many years representing companies operating factories / trucking operations to not have a concern about addicted employees, both alcohol and drugs.

Something seems unfair about that. I guess the company should have appealed the initial decision or said NO and risk contempt.
Finally, it was the insurance company who provided the lawyers so they made the final recommendation.

I waiting to see if the states where pot is decriminalized / legalized see an increase in traffic accidents and deaths with high drivers. What I'm wondering is, when it's legal and socially acceptable, do people end up smoking more in locations that require driving home at some point. Clearly it's been a problem with alcohol since the repeal of prohibition. Will impaired accidnent numbers spike with legalized use?

Ted

AFAIK, early numbers indicate that people are substituting pot for booze and both alcohol sales and accidents are down slightly. The same with opioid use....

Haha I can't believe this is even being talked about!

1) It will NEVER cause a shortage of mariners!

2) It's not a new law. It's been a law, once states decided to legalize it, the CG and companies put out many notices saying in big letters "IT'S NOT LEGAL, DO NOT SMOKE WEED!"

3) If your son got popped with a hair test, it's not a DOT approved test so it won't go on his record. A pee test is another thing though.

Sucks he did it, it happens all the time, but it's not like it's a secret.

One must develop self-discipline in life. It's often difficult for young people as they haven't previously been required to. We teach courses on various topics including drug and alcohol and sleep to try to direct young people. Amazing how a simple concept like "school night" has died. I'm not that old and I had an 11:00 PM bedtime on school nights. We try just to encourage employees to aim for midnight and if they're going to party, do it the night before a day off.

What is legal and what is illegal is not as important to me as safety.

Safety and addicted employees are an important issue but difficult in practice. It's hard to test for or no a chronic condition. Drug tests reveal pot use 90 days ago and don't reveal meth use a week ago and most don't say anything about alcohol use. That's why we focus on condition when you report for your work shift. Are you fit to work and can you do your job. One thing we've found is that the person with a real issue will mess up. They'll show up smelling like weed or with alcohol in their system or without any sleep. If their issues are other drugs, behavior will reflect it.

Someone mentioned increased hospital visits for marijuana in legal pot states. Absolutely true. The drive to have stronger blends is a big issue. Opiate overdoses are down though. Also fewer issues with synthetic and fake pot which is more dangerous than the real thing. Interesting corollary with Ecstasy. In it's pure, once prescription form, a pretty safe drug. However, sold on the streets you never know what it's mixed with and can be deadly.

I will be glad when we develop an equivalent of a breathalyzer for marijuana.

First of all, in a dry county ( or town ) it is NOT a crime to posess or consume alcohol...it is a crime to SELL alcohol...big difference.

So why is simple possession of weed a crime?

Seem kind of unfair to me. Even during Alcohol Prohibition back in the 1930's possession for personal use was legal as was medical, why is pot treated differently? Is the government encouraging alcohol use instead of something safer? Why would they do that, it makes no sense......

http://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-should-know-about-prohibition

"all the fuss" is about breaking the law. The employer in this case was federal government, who, in no uncertain terms, says pot is illegal. Getting drunk is not illegal, getting stoned is.

as for it "not being a crime"....if you are a Federal Law Enforcement Officer, it is a crime. For example, if you're on your boat and get boarded by the Coast Guard, and are in possession of pot, you're in trouble.

I agree. Key word here is "Federal."

What if an employee lives in a dry county and works in a wet one? Should she be fired if she tests positive for drinking beer over the weekend, but comes to work sober? After all it is a crime to consume alcohol where she lives and evidently it is the employers job to enforce the law and to choose which laws they enforce (state, local, federal).

Woodland, The drinking and possession of alcohol is not unlawful under federal Law. You seem to miss the point. For those who feel there is no difference between pot and drink, then the federal law needs to be changed. Until then, pot is illegal under federal law.:popcorn:

If the officer determines you are operating any vehicle while impaired, you are going to get a ticket be it a horse, lawn mower, boat, tractor, bike etc.
It is for the doctors to draw blood and/or pee to make the final determination. You refuse to voluntary to provide specimen, in many states that implies that you are guilty.
If as a result of an injury while operating a vehicle, they may very well draw blood prior to any surgical procedure. This can be submitted to the courts.

Something seems unfair about that. I guess the company should have appealed the initial decision or said NO and risk contempt.
Finally, it was the insurance company who provided the lawyers so they made the final recommendation.

It was most likely the union that made them take him back.

It was most likely the union that made them take him back.

Get YOUR insurance company involved.
Just because the union says something does not mean your insurance company and or the courts will agree.

Reefer Madness

;)
So why is simple possession of weed a crime?

Seem kind of unfair to me. Even during Alcohol Prohibition back in the 1930's possession for personal use was legal as was medical, why is pot treated differently? Is the government encouraging alcohol use instead of something safer? Why would they do that, it makes no sense......

http://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-should-know-about-prohibition

Apparently you have not seen the documentary "Reefer Madness". Your question will be answered after watching it. It permanently settled the question for me.

One must develop self-discipline in life. It's often difficult for young people as they haven't previously been required to. We teach courses on various topics including drug and alcohol and sleep to try to direct young people. Amazing how a simple concept like "school night" has died. I'm not that old and I had an 11:00 PM bedtime on school nights. We try just to encourage employees to aim for midnight and if they're going to party, do it the night before a day off.

If you have to pass a drug test, the only thing you should have at your party is alcohol. I'm not going to argue feelings, I'm just stating facts from federal law. You want to work on the water? Don't do drugs and drink (if you want) at home. It's not going to change any time soon.

Calif may have a different opinion but their opinion does not mean squat when out to sea and the USCG boards your boat.

Workplaces have rules. These rules are either explained as a condition of employment as part of the employment application or the "onboarding" process. If you don't like or feel you can follow the stated rules then don't accept the job. If you accept the job, violate the rules, and then get fired, you've got no one to blame but yourself. End of discussion.

At a lot of the places I worked for, sleeping on the job was grounds for dismissal. It was written in the employee handbook. AFIAK, sleeping is not against any federal or state rules, but doing so can still get you fired.

Greetings,
Mr. f. Reefer Madness? I hope I'm not picking up on your sarcasm. Please tell me you're NOT being serious. To suggest that propaganda film is in ANY way a description of the effects of MJ is akin to saying the Pope is a space alien here to mend the earth. Good grief!

If you have to pass a drug test, the only thing you should have at your party is alcohol. I'm not going to argue feelings, I'm just stating facts from federal law. You want to work on the water? Don't do drugs and drink (if you want) at home. It's not going to change any time soon.

Yes this is the reality of the thread. Defending lifestyle choices is irrelevant.

;)

Apparently you have not seen the documentary "Reefer Madness". Your question will be answered after watching it. It permanently settled the question for me.

I’ve seen it, I just thought it was fiction, not a documentary. Who knew?

Show up drunk or drink on the job, violation of work place rules. Suffer as the work place rules dictate.

I’ve seen it, I just thought it was fiction, not a documentary. Who knew?

Must be a different "Reefer Madness" than the b/w silent movie I saw. There is no way I would not consider it anything close to a documentary. CHUCKLE

Lot of opinions, but in the end employers make the rules and the feds enforce federal law. State law only goes 3 miles out.
When I was a commercial fisherman many boats carried whiskey. Whiskey purchased for use outside the US was tax free. Alcoholics were common, but not a problem at sea. Drug users often were. What drugs, I have no idea. Also in my time the Coast Guard could seize a commercial boat with any amount of drugs aboard if they could prove the captain/owner knew about the drugs. Some tables from a couple years ago. It would appear you would best use heroin if the goal is to get high and pass a drug test.

Attachments

• how-long-drugs-stay-in-your-blood.png
    how-long-drugs-stay-in-your-blood.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 37
  • how-long-drugs-stay-in-your-hair.png
    how-long-drugs-stay-in-your-hair.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 41
  • how-long-drugs-stay-in-your-urine.png
    how-long-drugs-stay-in-your-urine.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 40
This thread will come in handy for me if Trawler Forum ever has a social event. I'll be hanging on the end of the dock with the peeps who aren't wound so tight & disapproving,thank you...

This thread will come in handy for me if Trawler Forum ever has a social event. I'll be hanging on the end of the dock with the peeps who aren't wound so tight & disapproving,thank you...

.....what?

Being wound tight or just discussing facts? We're not talking about recreational use on recreational boats, we're talking about using it on commercial boats that are overseen by the federal government. It's still illegal on a federal level and not a secret. I don't feel bad for people who get popped over that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom