Australians eat weird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Never been to Oz but ate beets in NZ. To the best of my recollection they were simply boiled. So, speaking of pickles, here in NA it is quite common to see pickled beets, at least where I live. Are the "burger beets" in Oz simply boiled,slice and added or are they pickled as well? Do Aussies eat regular dill pickles on ANY occasion. Deep fried, perhaps?

Parks, get hold of yourself. You eat in places like this, and say other peoples' diets are wierd?:confused:

Located in the beautifully restored Fellsmere Estates Building, Marsh Landing offers a truly unique dining experience. Frog legs, catfish and gator tail, fried green tomatoes and swamp cabbage are a few of the local specialties you can find at Marsh Landing.

I admit I do love the Marsh Landing fried green tomato’s. Their swamp cabbage is pretty good but not as good as the Jolly Gator on the St. John’s river.

Greetings,
Never been to Oz but ate beets in NZ. To the best of my recollection they were simply boiled. So, speaking of pickles, here in NA it is quite common to see pickled beets, at least where I live. Are the "burger beets" in Oz simply boiled,slice and added or are they pickled as well? Do Aussies eat regular dill pickles on ANY occasion. Deep fried, perhaps?
Beets used on burgers almost certainly come pickled and sliced in cans.
Fresh beets, incl baby beets, are available.
Dill pickles are eaten. They can be small and whole(may be European import)and there are fine sliced crisp pickled cucumber ones sometimes called "Bread and Butter Pickles"(? for cucumber sandwiches, popular in UK,not so much here). Never ever heard of dill pickles deepfried but apparently there are deepfried Mars Bars :eek:, anything can be put through the deepfryer.
Then, there is the Aussie Chiko Roll.....now there`s an old style Aussie deep fried treat,like a large Chinese spring roll, got a great joke about a female shop assistant defrosting a frozen one :nonono:....

Vegemite is mostly yeast. Why didn’t you guys say so? I might taste it. A friend used to sprinkle dry yeast on popcorn and I liked that.

More salt than actual yeast I think.

I was told originally came from the scrapings cleaning out beer making vats.

Ockers love thaking the piss with the septic!

Marmite yeast extract was a fundamental part of diet post WW2 in the UK. You either love it (me) or hate it (my wife).

try marmite 'soldiers' strips of toast to dunk in a soft boiled egg.

Marmite and cheese sandwhich is yummy

Marmite flavoured crisps (chips to septics) are sold in UK as are marmite crackers like Ritz.

toast plus a layer of peanut butter then a layer of Marmite is scrumptious. In the USA vegemite is slightly cheaper and easier to find. Marmite is usually in the international foods aisle

Last edited:
Greetings,

I like beetroot slices, pickled in proper (malt) vinegar or plain boiled, very good for lowering blood pressure apparently. Our local buffet places Asian and American all serve them in the salad bar:thumb:

Vegemite as a product brand was in the hands of Mondalez but was recently purchased by Australian dairy products company Bega Cheese, based on the south coast of NSW state at, wait for it, Bega.
I don`t think the product formulation changes. I expect the stuff is in most Aussie homes,it has a long shelf life.Just as well, not sure how often it gets used.

Vegemite as a product brand was in the hands of Mondalez but was recently purchased by Australian dairy products company Bega Cheese, based on the south coast of NSW state at, wait for it, Bega.
I don`t think the product formulation changes. I expect the stuff is in most Aussie homes,it has a long shelf life.Just as well, not sure how often it gets used.

Anyone with excess stock please mail to me, I will put up with it being an oz copy if it is free.:thumb:

Robin, Vegemite began as a 1922 Australian product of the Fred Walker company. Later Kraft owned it. Somewhere along the line it got sold to Mondalez,the international food conglomerate which also owns Cadbury. Bega Cheese is "buying it back", the "oz copy" is no copy, it`s the original, it`s in every supermarket. There is no "excess stock", except not everyone buys it . I think there was an attempt to add something to it (? some kind of edible) which failed, a sort of "Coke Mk2".
I suspect anyone addicted to eating something that resembles heavy machinery grease is really addicted to salt. But, I hope you enjoy it, and Bega Cheese will thank you.

The two products go very well together, just use a savoury biscuit (yankish "cracker") without much salt.

Mmm gonna have to get me some online.

Being a Queenslander we don't do the pie floater thing, but a pie with peas inside is the go. Mushy peas that is.
Beetroot, I do my own, boil the beetroot, keep some of the water, skin(the skin just slides off when boiled) slice and put in storage bottle, 70% fill with the cooking water and top of with balsamic vinegar. Bought beetroot is a bit to sweet for me but we were all bought up on Golden Circle tinned beetroot.
Vegemite, the best start to the day, on toast with butter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom