Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Auld lang syne

The new year somehow seems a little thin without some old friends around.

Has anyone seen or heard from Marin? I see he hasn't even been lurking lately.
Attached Thumbnails
_Auld_Lang_Syne.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
The last year or two he openly posted about leaving the forum, perhaps he has. 2bucks, Belize Bill and several others have gone long lost over the years too but their accounts are open and waiting for them to return if and when they're ready for them.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Marin's account open?? I heard otherwise... from a birdie!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I heard otherwise... from a birdie!
Now that's the problem with gossip. Grandma used to say "gossip is like soap, mostly lye."

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Now that's the problem with gossip. Grandma used to say "gossip is like soap, mostly lye."
A TF PM birdie... tweet, tweet!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Guru

Lol!!
Attached Thumbnails
image-1637312381.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Marin's account open?? I heard otherwise... from a birdie!
Hmmmmm, maybe someone who has his email should ask him to do a test post.

He always seemed to be a regular lurker even though he was open about having reached his personal limit on contributions. Something doesn't fit ...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Guru

And if they don't have his email and are interested they could always contact him at the GB owners forum too. It's not like he's the toughest guy on the internet to locate.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Marin had as many posts as the sum of all of the people who have posted in this thread.

The man was a machine.

I miss him.

But then again, I too like a dialectic discussion.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
Art
Guru

Some of his insulting, put downs, and off-color diatribes speared directly at intent of assaulting other persons’ thoughtful ways of approaching or contemplating or conjecturing on items being discussed therein produced his own desired dietetic results upon the others... not by any means dialectic in concept or procedure. Just sayen!

Anyone lurking?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #11
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Some of his insulting, put downs, and off-color diatribes ...
were well earned by the recipients.

Taking a conservative approach to the issue, calling a fool a fool should be viewed as helping a parasite off welfare. It does no one any good to have their bad habits "celebrated" or acknowledged as an alternative.

Another way of looking at it might be that if you feed seagulls, your boat will soon be covered in crap.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
FWIW, I spent about four years lurking on this forum before deciding to participate.

The old forum as I remember it was populated by a pretty wide-ranging group, probably far less PC & earnest than now. It was robust forum, and Marin was a product and driver of that style.

For mine I find the question and answer style less appealing or challenging.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
were well earned by the recipients.

Taking a conservative approach to the issue, calling a fool a fool should be viewed as helping a parasite off welfare. It does no one any good to have their bad habits "celebrated" or acknowledged as an alternative.

Another way of looking at it might be that if you feed seagulls, your boat will soon be covered in crap.
and frankly, for some, like myself, I like the directness, that some may find offensive or rude, as many times, I do not understand that message that is being sent, as it goes over my head

And if someone is going on and on in a way i don't find useful, I simply stop reading it.

Richard

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #14
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
The old forum as I remember it was populated by a pretty wide-ranging group, probably far less PC & earnest than now. It was robust forum, and Marin was a product and driver of that style.

I find the PC part the most disturbing. It takes every post down to the most diluted level. It is almost as if reality must take a second (or third) place behind "being nice" or not pointing out how absurd a post or the ideas of the poster may be.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that doesn't mean they should be immune to having to defend that opinion. Take a look at a site like gCaptain and see how a pseudo sailor or other pretender is handled. And the membership (and readership) there is expanding like crazy because reality trumps "nice" in the real world.

I think we have lost some good people and put a damper on a few others, and it is our loss.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post

Hummmm – Analogies (no matter how down-beat or even cute they may sound) for comparison of any humans’ thought that is backed by our formable intellect and ever evolving thought processes as well as decades experiences... as compared to birds... points to a lack of understanding that nearly every human proposed concept in and of its own volition deserves respect enough to at very least be civilly and gracefully listened to. Then, if the conjecture by one human is not in line with the belief or thought pattern of another human... the “other” human has all the right in the world to either respectfully push back against the conjecture or, if desired, to therein close their delve toward that interaction, i.e. to simply, quietly walk away. However, for any human to continue proceeding with diatribes meant to directly insult another human due to their thoughts (be they correct or incorrect thoughts) is juvenile – to say the least!

Debates on any subject are supposed to be held in a civil, orderly, and thought provoking manner. That is the best way for ideas and concepts to be intelligently developed. To resort to hurtful innuendos accompanied by abstract insults to any one or group of humans (such as analogy comparing human thoughts to seagulls’ bird crap) is simply not the way grown people are best suited to intelligently interact.

In Real Life: Next step after blatant insults too often comes to hazardous physical conflicts. Next step after thoughtful, civil communications often comes to increased opportunities for beneficial results due to cooperatively melded minds.

Is 21st Century’s “thousand mile distance” electronic communications, where everyone is capable of virtual anonymity, resulting in resending adults back to juvenile insulting actions as best way to display disagreement with another adult’s thoughts? God I hope not! Because if that becomes the pervasive case... then comparing the human intellect of those who do so (such as comparing human thoughts to bird shat) might not really be that far off the mark.

I ask everyone to please not let our newfound capabilities of un tethered electronic communications push us backwards to utilizing insulting words as a means for trying to end up on top of (a winner in) discussions. Would be a sorry circumstance as a society and/or a civilization in whole if that became the norm. Rather we all should embrace this miraculous 21st Century talk fest and nurture it to the fullest extent of thought provoking, cooperative, and respectful mental interactions.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Hummmm – Analogies (no matter how down-beat or even cute they may sound) for comparison of any humans’ thought that is backed by our formable intellect and ever evolving thought processes as well as decades experiences... as compared to birds... points to a lack of understanding

There was no comparison of humans to birds, it was another way of saying that if you take a certain action, you should expect certain results.

Feed seagulls, expect to get crapped on.

Don't swat at mosquitoes and you will soon be surrounded by mosquitoes.

Acknowledge bad advice or false information as valid, you will encourage more false information and bad advice.

Garbage in, garbage out. Stop the influx of garbage and you will make more room for rational discussions.

Those who want to be kind to the "differently enabled" should join a support group.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
For me...this place as well as many other forums boils down to 2 groups...those that feel forums are like dock talk - 95% socialization and 5% information...for me and others...we get our dock talk on the dock and come here for factual info or to contribute info....obviously there are subjects that are only opinion but at least the knowledgeable usually have something to back up their opinions.

For those that like kid gloves...don't jump in the pool if you can't handle the sharks (like that better than the seagulls and their poop?).

Nothing worse for me than reading 3 pages of thread to mostly see wild a**ed opinions ( with no facts or links to at least suggest the poster knows what they are talking about)...or pictures of non-related issues...or even before anyone has really addressed to original poster...a thread turning to topics not even related to boating.

I get enough PMs to let me know when I should be a tad bit more PC and I get plenty of supportive posts that say keep letting the idiot have it with both barrels.

I'm not in it for either...just like to get and pass info that I need to keep the boat moving or how to get it some place more easily/more fun along the way. If I can be pleasant about it and others to me because we are staying on topic and reasonably correct info is passed along the way...so much the better...

But I have to agree with the few that have posted many times before....if you dare a wild a**ed guess and feel slammed by responses....especially by a few well though out and supported posts by people with real experience in the area...then please go gentle into the night.

If you continue to support your incorrect, unsubstantiated post and challenge those in the know...expect to have the same escalation in return.

It doesn't have to be personal or ugly and most never take it there...but keep pounding away or backtracking from your original post...expect your retreat to be full of suprises....
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I propose we all wear mood rings and submit the current color status so replies can be tempered accordingly.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #19
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Rick-what am I ding wrong? I don't feed the seagulls but still have to wash seagull poop off my decks!

I guess there is truth to the old saying "Sh$t Happens!"
Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I propose we all wear mood rings and submit the current color status so replies can be tempered accordingly.

I am not all that fond of the cute little smiley things but that post rated a couple!

That might be a good way to avoid disturbing the exquisitely sensitive and precariously balanced among us.
Closed Thread