any Single Malt fans???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scotch is aged in used Jack Daniels barrels. I like a good single malt, but more often I go to the source.

'all elephants are grey, therefore all things grey are elephants'

Neither of these statements are accurate. Jack Daniels was established in 1875. The earliest recorded references to Scotch was 1495. What did they use for the 380 yrs in between?

Bourbon (Jack Daniels calls itself a 'Sour Mash' because for many years, Bourbon could only be made in Kentucky, while the Jack Daniels distillery is in Tennessee) calls for "NEW" oak barrels, so the barrels can't be used twice. Bourbon makers have been selling their barrels for many years. Many barrels get sold to Tequila distillers to age their Anejo and Resposados.

While maybe some scotch distillers may chosen to age some scotch in used bourbon barrels, that is not the rule. Doing so doesn't make it bourbon either.

They say scotch is an acquired taste. I have yet to be able to acquire it.

I don't have the wallet to develop a taste for good scotch. I am developing a taste for cheap whiskey however.

For me, has to be neat. Couple of years back were were driving in Scotland in May. Snow forced us to seek refuge in a distillery tasting room. Several actually.
I like the "smoky" types. Tasting a single malt back to back with a blended whisky might be instructive.
FWIW, I have a bottle of "Inner Circle" Bundaberg rum. You can`t buy it, it gets given to you. It is 79%! What does it taste like? Haven`t been game to open it.

Another fan of Lagavulin.... when I can find it!

I recently bought bottles of single malt The Balvenie - DoubleWood in this shop, Aberlour, Scotland, for when guests aboard, I do not drink.

Attachments

• IMG_2641.JPG
    IMG_2641.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2640.JPG
    IMG_2640.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2637.JPG
    IMG_2637.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2638.JPG
    IMG_2638.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2639.JPG
    IMG_2639.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 56
There is an Irish bar in Vancouver whose name escapes me but you go through the pub and out the back door and down a short covered alley to another bar called Shebeen. That bar sells only whisky. You can buy "flights" of 6 of your favourites or ones you have never tried, they come on a small plank and you definitely need to have pre-booked your taxi! When you anchor in False Creek, head for Gastown...yum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom