Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The scrapping of the ships in the Suisun Bay (California) reserve fleet occurs in Texas.

"Once ships are removed from the fleet, they will be towed to the BAE Systems San Francisco shipyard at the foot of Potrero Hill to be cleaned of toxic paint and marine growth. They then will be towed to a facility in Brownsville, Texas, via the Panama Canal, to be scrapped."

Apparently it's cheaper or more profitable than scrapping the fleet locally such as at Hunters Point and Mare Island.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Pensacola
Call your congressman. Elections have consequences. Each of the shipyards at Bremerton and Norfolk have specialties. In the end it is cheaper to tow her to scrap her. I just hope we name another Aircraft Carrier "Enterprise". I enjoyed my tour on her. My Dad served on her in the 70's and my Son was baptized on her. She means a great deal to my family and friends.

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
Guru

JD

It is not uncommon to send Carriers to Norfolk for work that cannot be done on Bremerton. Carl Vinson used to be home ported in Washington but had her major reactor work done in Norfolk.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The scrapping of the ships in the Suisun Bay (California) reserve fleet occurs in Texas.

"Apparently it's cheaper or more profitable than scrapping the fleet locally such as at Hunters Point and Mare Island.

More profitable I'm sure but for whom. Who tows these ships the Navy or some sub contractor. Let me guess.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
JD: You're right, but you live in the USA, and should know better than to assume that logic had any part in the decision. Politics controls it all.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
JD
Carl Vinson used to be home ported in Washington but had her major reactor work done in Norfolk.
Now this makes less sense. The Vinson has to go to Norfolk to have reactor work done and the E has to got to Bremerton to have reactor removal done.

But let's be clear I'm not disparaging the E just the system.

Al

Thanks for thr reminder.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
More profitable I'm sure but for whom. Who tows these ships the Navy or some sub contractor. Let me guess.
Per MARAD "Since there are currently no qualified ship recycling facilities on the Pacific Coast of the United States, and the ships cannot be sent overseas for recycling, contracts for recycling are awarded to qualified firms on the Gulf Coast and East Coast of the United States, so ships must be towed through the Panama Canal and into other ecosystems."
Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #28
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
"Here are a few pics of a nuke sub's reactor core once it has been removed from the sub and encased in steel and concrete"

When they scrap a sub they defuel it an remove the "reator core". They cut the entire hull section out that held the reactor compartment. Thats why it looks so big. The reactor vessel is actual rather small. My subs old reactor compartment is sitting in that ditch in Washington.

My sub hit the big "E" with a few Mk 48s during war games in the Med in the late 70s. It was always a PIA! when the big E hit a liberty port the same time we did. 5000 sailors hitting the beach is just trouble.

Dave
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #29
Guru

Mark,

Big E will go around the cape. She's too large to fit through the canal.

JD,
The towing will be done by private contract. The Navy lost that capability in the 90's.

As for the reasoning... I think it all goes down to bidding and keeping the industrial base open for technically profiency. The Navy want two capable shipyards on each coast. Big E equipment will go go on to serve on other CVN's.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
Guru

The Navy doesn't want idle ship fitters. Neither do the owners of the yards. So these are scheduled.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #31
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Mine too, Dave (sitting in the ditch). There are two kinds of ships - submarines and targets.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I don't see any need for a replacement. We spend 17 times as much on defense as the country 2nd on the list. How are we ever going to get out of debt if we keep on wasting our money like this? You'd think out military security would be assured if we spent billions less and had ONLY three times as much military as the next biggest military spender. We bankroll a lot of other countries military hardware like Israel. Stupid Stupid Stupid
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Mine too, Dave (sitting in the ditch).
Mine three. SSN697
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #34
Guru

Recently some retired navy ships to destroyer size have been sunk forming an artificial reef to encourage fish into residence(it does work) rather than dismantling. The green movement ran all sorts of litigation to prevent the sinking fearing toxic paints etc. They are apoplectic at the thought of a nuclear ship,whether being sunk or not. New Zealand just removed a ban on nuclear ship visits, imposed 20+ years
Australia bought 2 used low miles one owner US navy ships couple of years back, seems the rust had been bogged and painted and we didn`t check too well. I think we will be looking for somewhere to sink them too.
I hope no one is dismantling the Missouri. Sydney has great memories of her visit post refit some years ago.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #35
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I hope no one is dismantling the Missouri. Sydney has great memories of her visit post refit some years ago.
October 2009, Missouri was moved from her berthing station on Battleship Row to a drydock to undergo a three month overhaul. The work, priced at $18 million, included installing a new anti-corrosion system, repainting the hull, and upgrading the internal mechanisms. Drydock workers reported that the ship was leaking at some points on the starboard side. The repairs were completed the first week of January 2010 and the ship was returned to her berthing station on Pearl Harbor's Battleship Row on 7 January 2010.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #36
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
That's one expensive anti foul.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #37
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Ssbn/ssn 642 & ssn671
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #38
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Ssbn/ssn 642 & ssn671

Practice targets.

- P3 A/B, VP 68
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #39
FF
Guru

We spend 17 times as much on defense as the country 2nd on the list.

Big difference is ships are labor expensive , so $65 an hour for a welder vs $2.00 changes purchase costs .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #40

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I'll never forget the January morning in 1969; I was in boot camp and the navy chaplain came to get me out of class to tell me a fire had broken out on the Enterprise and my older brother was missing. i had to call home and tell my folks; ugly day. he was an aviation machinist mate and was on the flight deck when the missle blew. He landed in the water, badly injured with about a dozen others. Luckily they were all recovered about 18 hours later. My buddies brother was not so lucky. 27 died that day.
Johnma
MM3
USS Santa Barbara AE28 (plankowner)
now 390 Mainship

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote