And it all started in Seattle11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Well, been following this issue for sometime as it had the beginnings within the bastions of the Northern Left Coast village of Seattle. This concept of reaction will be a joy to watch as the 'libs' twist their bloomers over job loss. :popcorn:

Al-Ketchikan

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-content/uploads/mcdonalds-minimum-wage.jpg

This will be in the States, wonder if they do it all over the world.

Last edited:
This is old news. The McDonalds on the Champs-Elysees in Paris has had an "automated" section for over a year, perhaps quite a bit longer (we saw it in September of last year).

It is very popular with younger people who, we were told by the store manager, do not like person-to-person contact at places like restaurants. Note Domino's current ad campaign promoting its one-touch pizza ordering app for Twitter, Facebook, smartphone, iWatch, etc. where someone can order a pizza to be delivered without having to make a phone call or talk to anyone throughout the entire process.

The "on-line" ordering section of the Champs-Elysees McDonalds is extremelhy popular---- when we were there there were long lines of mostly teens/20s lined up to use the kiosks while the manned counter was relatively unused.

This is not about minimum wage but is about catering to how the new generations of customers want to interface with buinsesses like these.

Where the fast food businesses can and are starting to make use of automation to cut production costs by eliminating people is in food preparation. There are "robots" that can make burgers, fries, etc, package them up and deliver them to a counter or window, no humans needed.

I do not know how quickly these are being phased into the fast food business--- there was a lot of talk about these systems during the controversy surrounding the introduction of a $15 mimimum wage in the city of Seatac the other year.

Last edited:
Grocery stores have done the same thing for years. Self Checkouts are easy, only need one employee to watch a half dozen check stands. Makes sense to me.

It wouldn't bother me a bit to see a self serve section at Mickey D's or any of the other fast food or pizza joints.

It would make it easy for online ordering if they set up with PayPal. I prefer to use PP whenever I do stuff online. The fewer people who have/get my credit card info the better off I am.

BTW, one unintended consequence for those now getting $15/hour is that some now make too much money for their gubmint subsidized housing. They have had to ask the employers to reduce the hours they're given so their wages stay beneath the level for subsidized housing. So they're still making the same income, just not having to work as many hours to get it.

Here`s a twist. Some of our 7-11 store franchisees employed overseas students whose visa limits their work to 20 hours pw. The stores had them work 40 hours but paid for 20 hours at the obligatory award rate, thus halving the hourly rate, while saying that if they complained about underpayment, they`d get reported to Immigration for exceeding work hours restrictions, and deported. How`s that?
Mind you, I suspect some overseas "students" are really here to migrate rather than study.

When I was a kid in NYC the "Automat" was a resturant where you opened a tiny door and removed the plate.

Only human contact was with the cashier , I guess that can be eliminated with paying smart phones.

Then the Twits will never have to stop texting , and can avoid all personal human contact

When I was a kid in NYC the "Automat" was a resturant where you opened a tiny door and removed the plate.

Only human contact was with the cashier , I guess that can be eliminated with paying smart phones.

Then the Twits will never have to stop texting , and can avoid all personal human contact

I remember the Automat in NYC. Thought you put a coin(s) in to open the door?

Ted

"This concept of reaction will be a joy to watch as the 'libs' twist their bloomers over job loss."

No problem on the left...99 months of unemployment..then 100% disability from job loss stress...and free healthcare. What is there to be upset about?:nonono:

Wonder if the new $43.000.000,00 Service station in Afghanistan is automated???:banghead::D

Al-Ketchikan

Humans Need Not Apply

Anyone that has not seen this coming is an idiot. But, I'll have to admit to not understanding how close it is to us already.

Interesting video. Ten years ago I would have said that most of that video was someone's dream. Today, it's reality and becoming more common every day.

Back
Top Bottom