Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The "bridge to nowhere" would connect Ketchikan with its airport to replace the $6 ferry fare with its up to 30-minute waits.
Ah, but that was just the final revision of the story put out by the local pols when the absurdity of the whole thing and who would profit from it became so widely known.

The original plan - and the source of the "Bridge to Nowhwere" label - called for a bridge south of town that spanned the East Channel to Pennock Island, a stretch of road then connected to another bridge across the West Channel.

They actually went so far as to complete the Gravina Island Highway () that dead ends where the bridge was supposed to connect the island.

The original stink began when it became known who owned much of the land and timber on Gravina. The politicians figured the humiliation attached to the airport ferry fairy tale is much less than what would have been attached to the real story that they have managed very well to revise since around 2005.

Even that revision of history looks really really stupid. According to FAA records: For the 12-month period ending January 1, 2011, the airport had 15,959 aircraft operations, an average of 43 per day: 61% air taxi, 33% scheduled commercial, 5% general aviation, and 1% military. At that time there were five aircraft based at this airport: 60% single-engine, 20% multi-engine, and 20% jet.

In layman's terms, that means there were about 7 airline flights (an operation is a landing or a takeoff) each day and of the 5 airplanes based at the airport, 3 are single engine spamcans, 1 is a twin, and 1 is a jet.

There is a reason that area is often called "Appalachia by the Sea." The concept of the "last frontier" and home of the independant frontiersman living off the land is truly a fantasy. It is in fact one of the most egregious welfare states in the nation.

The State is very good at collecting pork, they just seem to choose the wrong cut more often than not these days:

The World’s Most Ridiculous Ship Is Up For Sale [UPDATE] | gCaptain

Alaska borough wants to give away expensive ferry

Say what you like about California politicians but at least they don't pretend to be anything else.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Lancea,

Could add to the conversation but promised myself that I would in retirement, make every effort to ignore ignorance. So far so good.
Good luck in your search. It is not ":Who you Are" or "What you Are" in Southeast Alaska, it is what your bring to the table to share that counts.
Feel free to contact me off list with inquiries..

Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
So far so good.

Ah, bliss ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/bu...pagewanted=all

And a bit of recent history ...

"Alaska, GOP Welfare State " by Benjamin Wallace-Wells
Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I may move to a red state!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Folks from outside that think Alaska doesn't deserve what other states get. Let see, bridge collapses in Minnesota, yet it is rebuilt. It just wasn't Ketchikan, Anchorage can no longer expand as there is no land available, yet all kinds of room to expand 2 miles away across the inlet, just need a bridge.

How much did Florida and California get in pork? I just say thank you senators and representative......

We also have a legislature that for the most part has some brains to not tax and spend Alaskans into poverty.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Folks from outside that think Alaska doesn't deserve what other states get.
No, just that Alaska shouldn't get 3 times more than other states just because the politicians are 10 times more crooked.

I thought the conservative line is that people who have a good income shouldn't get taxpayer handouts?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
No, just that Alaska shouldn't get 3 times more than other states just because the politicians are 10 times more crooked.

I thought the conservative line is that people who have a good income shouldn't get taxpayer handouts?
Well I respectivly disagree. Alaska is a young state (1959) and we do not have much of any infrustucture such as roads and bridges like other states. In fact, if you can't fly or boat, then many Alaskan communities are not accessable. So why should Alaska communities have the same opportunity as other L48 states? Yep it costs 3-4 times more to build a road or bridge but we need roads too....
Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #28

RickB

I see you live in Florida, is that because there is no state tax?
Seriously, I just asked a question about retirement residency and a state I love.
All you, that started the lib vs. conservative conversation are the reason I want to retire on a boat, to get away!!!
Yes, I'm a conservative, yes, I think you should support yourself. If you honestly can't, then there's a reason I pay taxes. Not to fund all your liberal causes... Spend your own money and not ours....
lancea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #29
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancea View Post
I see you live in Florida, is that because there is no state tax?
The tax thing is a plus but I moved here because I wanted to get into the megayacht industry and this is the center of that universe.

I lived in Anchorage, went to high school there, worked on tugs, ferries, freighters, tankers, fish factory ships, and charter yachts from Southest to PWS, Cook Inlet, Bristol Bay, and the Aleutians so have a great love for the geography of Alaska but a gross contempt for the politics and corruption that have come to define the place.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #30
Scraping Paint

I guess not everyone is excited about being a resident or full time liveaboard ...

Millennium passengers call 911, worried about ‘riot’ | KRBD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CruiseShipMillennium-e1376948000857.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	22325  
Old 08-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A more typical summer scene in Ketchikan.

I much enjoyed a Hawaii-to-San Francisco cruise when one of the propeller-shaft bearings broke. Took us an extra 36 hours to get to port: a day-and-a-half more of food, entertainment, and so on at no extra cost, an afternoon of free drinks, and a voucher toward another cruise!

You got to expect these sort of things. Like losing an engine because of water in the fuel ...
Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
Master and Commander

How much of the relatively high level of federal spending in Alaska is due to the high rate of federal civilian and military employment compared to the low non-federally-employed civilian population?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #33
Al
Guru

Greetings,

One has to see the pictures of some 3000 passengers from the M/V Millennium trooping over the deck of an open ferries in driving rain to the Ketchikan International Airport for extraction to understand the old saying: "In each life a little rain will fall" (Paraphrase)
Actually the force of rain was slight by local observations, not so much with "Sunny Climes" folks.

Iancea- You would fit in beautifully in the small SE Alaska town of Wrangell. Pop: 1800 Est. 45 inches of rain annually (Vs Ketchikan with 150+ and only 88 miles South)
golf course, new boat harbor, welcomes live aboards. wonderful outdoors activities. like, fishing for crab, shrimp, halibut, salmon in the morning and then finish off the day with 9 holes of golf!! Life is good there.

http://www.wrangell.com/
http://wrangellalaskagolf.com/index.html

Regards,
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Alaska spends a lot of money on things other than infrastructure.

Like the bush.

School districts with 20 students yet full modern buildings and staff.

It's all oil money.

SD
Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
It's all oil money.
Except for the $446,070,505 that came from the rest of us ... Alaska is #8 in the nation for spending federal money on education, and #46 in spending state and local money on education.

While I have the stats on my desk: Alaska is #47 in overall educational quality (way way down from the '50s and 60's when it was at or near the top), #13 in total school financing, and #51 in teacher quality.

Sources are the NEA (don't bother Fred, we all know how you feel about them) and the department of education.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #36
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Greetings,

One has to see the pictures of some 3000 passengers from the M/V Millennium trooping over the deck of an open ferries in driving rain to the Ketchikan International Airport ...
The Millenium has a capacity of up to 2,138 passengers (per Wikipedia) and 2,450 all upper and lower berths (per Complete Guide to Cruising.)

Ferry "to nowhere" on a partly-cloudy July 2013 day:

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Except for the $446,070,505 that came from the rest of us ... Alaska is #8 in the nation for spending federal money on education, and #46 in spending state and local money on education.

While I have the stats on my desk: Alaska is #47 in overall educational quality (way way down from the '50s and 60's when it was at or near the top), #13 in total school financing, and #51 in teacher quality.

Sources are the NEA (don't bother Fred, we all know how you feel about them) and the department of education.
Well, to get off of thread here, it takes 4-6 times more in Alaska than in Florida where you can drive anywhere in the state. Not so in Alaska. Take Florida, draw a line from Panama City to Jacksonville. Now everything south of that line remove all forms of transportation other than barge, boat or air. Gives you just a "taste" of what it is like in Alaska. Oh and give the state a deep freeze for 9 months out of the year.....
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #38
Al
Guru

Iancea- I apologize for giving you the incorrect number of passengers on the Millennium.it apparently is over riding your original inquiry as where you might find a friendly post for your Alaska mooring.
Another error in my post was unintentional. Wrangell is North of Ketchikan. One might construct that my directions of South would demand yet another minute rebuke correction.
At any rate, please know that true and long time resident Alaskans welcome those who share their honor,trust, and good nature and wish to share in our Natural wonders, bountiful fish and game, and reasonable fiscal expenses of both material and human needs.
Should you elect to visit and would enjoy a glass of wine and discussion, please give my wife and myself consideration.
Happy hunting
A.M.Johnson Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

I thought I saw an eye doctor on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian
Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #39
Guru

Nice!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #40
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Interesting how this thread turned into a political discussion

I am very proud yet odd ball 8th generation Floridian with very deep political routes and a county named after a great grandfather

Yet as child we visited Alaska and I lived there for a few months while in training at the Air Force arctic survival it still seems to me they get way less pork then my state Florida but who am I say

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote