Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
A380 landing, pilot view, SF airport

The landing at San Francisco Airport takes about 10 minutes to watch. You are in the pilot’s seat.

This humongous A380 aircraft makes its first landing at San Francisco airport. The air traffic controller gives them heading, altitude and speed and they dial it in. Looks like it lands itself too.

For best results go "full screen" on your monitor.

Great video and views of the SF area! Enjoy

Pilot's View: Airbus A380 approach and landing at San Francisco. [VIDEO]

Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Amazing.
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Just a bit more involved there than bringing a boat into a slip! Thanks for posting that. Great video sir!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Doesn't reflect all that well on Lufthansa IMO. Norcal tells them to expect a visual approach to 28L, but the first officer blows the readback so badly the controller decides he'd better give them the full ILS 28R. They are told to maintain speed to AXMUL, and the captain hasn't heard of it before; obviously hasn't briefed the approach: AXMUL is the final approach fix! But they get it on the ground so it's all good.
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #5

City: Hendersonville, NC
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Heavy equipment operations are way cool.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
I rode the jump seat in a British Airways 747-400 a number of years ago from about Greenland to San Francisco including the landing and taxi in. It was the scheduled LHR-SFO daily flight and I was invited up partway through it.

While it was hard to believe, neither the captain or first officer had ever been to SFO before or if they had it had been a long time since. It was a nice day and the approach and landing were uneventful but once on the ground and clear of the runway the flight crew had no idea where their gate was. While the first officer started pawing through his airport diagrams the captain sort of "drove us around."

At one point Ground told him to take such and such a taxiway and the captain started a turn onto the wrong one. Realizing his error, he slammed on the brakes and then turned us sharply toward the correct taxiway. When he hit the brakes there was muffled yelling and a few quick screams to be heard from the passenger cabins behind us.

The first officer asked if he should call the tower for directions and the captain said, no way, we're going to find this bloody thing on our own.

Eventually they did and all ended well. But it was an interesting example of how as a pilot you tend to just fly the "room" you're in and give no thought to the fact there is a whole plane of people behind you. I even found myself doing this in the 206 I flew in Hawaii and in the Beaver I fly here. It's almost a surprise to turn around and see a bunch of people sitting "back there."

On an Air Mike flight in the 1980s returning from Guam to Hawaii the captain, who was a seasoned scuba diver, had been describing all the stuff to dive on in Truk Lagoon to the first officer who had just gotten into scuba diving. The crew lived in Seattle and the first officer was not familiar with the lagoon and all the WWII wrecks in it.

So the captain proceded to give him a guided tour of the lagoon and the better wrecks to dive on. This in a 727 Combi with a full load of passengers and cargo. I was riding in the jump seat and at about 1,000' the captain would bank the plane over 30 degrees this way or that to show the first officer, me, the flight engineer, and the mechanic, such and such a wreck. This went on for some 30 minutes with the captain flying the 727 like it was a Cessna out for a weekend jaunt.

Finally he allowed that he'd probably better go in and land or the cabin crew would get pissed.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Sounds like he needs a new Boeing Class 2 EFB with Airport Moving Maps.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

I think even a street map would have served him better than what he was doing.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Awesome, thanks for sharing. It brought back great memories of a flight from IAD to SFO about two years ago. I had a window seat and it was perfectly clear the entire trip, so amazing views of the country. It was my first time into SFO and that approach ranks up there as one of my favorites. Of course, my absolute favorite is my home airport that I fly out of frequently, DCA. Depending on approach, the view of the monuments, White House, Capital and FedEx field is a sight to behold. Oh, and the trip to SFO was the first time I saw the A380 up close – very imposing bit of machinery. Again, thanks for sharing that with us.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Cant wait for the view of that blob plopping down in San Diego .

The view going over the top of the hospital should be fantastic!

A real task for the auto pilot .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #11

City: Petaluma, Ca.
I dont know how they do it , with all that chatter in their ears... I'd end up on the 101 heading for Cotati.
Fishbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
I dont know how they do it , with all that chatter in their ears... I'd end up on the 101 heading for Cotati.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Sorry, I don't know why there are multiple UTube's.

I guess this thread is about airplanes, good or bad. This is bad:

National Airlines Flight 102 (NCR102), MSN 25630 - N949CA, was a cargo flight which crashed shortly after taking off from Bagram Airfield on 29 April 2013, killing all 7 crew.

The airline has been operating the Bagram to Dubai route for a month. The aircraft had taken off on runway 03 at
15:30L and climbing through 1200 feet, when the nose of the aircraft nose sharply rose. The crew were heard on VHF air-band frequency reporting that some of the load of five heavy military vehicles in the cargo hold had shifted and the aircraft stalled. The aircraft crashed and erupted into flames on impact. The crash site was near the end of runway 03 within the perimeter of the airfield. All seven crew; four pilots, two mechanics and a load master were killed.

The aircraft involved was a Boeing 747-428BCF registration N949CA, c/n 25630 It was manufactured and first flown in 1993. The aircraft that crashed was branded as National Airlines although it was actually operated upon the operating license of Air Atlanta Icelandic for National Air Cargo until 2011. Upon this particular sortie, Flight 102 was flying on behalf of the Air Mobility Command.

windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

Looks like a textbook stall to me. An extreme aft CG will do that.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #15

City: Petaluma, Ca.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Looks like a textbook stall to me. An extreme aft CG will do that.
I'm hearing that may have happened... load broke free and ended up in the tail.... quickly.
Fishbucket is offline   Reply With Quote