Old 05-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I am? Well I guess all those Boeing engineers and systems guys have been playing with their smoke and mirrors again. Shame on them. You need to get your airline out of the abacus age, John, and into the iPad age.
We are well into it. I pick up my iPad today. In fact, we will be the first airline to have EVERYTHING on the iPad. Not sure if we are winning that race anymore. Actually, we receive our I pads with everything. We can't ditch the manuals until a certain test period has lapsed. I still have concern about readability in direct sunlight....

Hope all has been well!!!!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #22
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Network Security is a real concern. Boeing is looking into all of those issues, but our data systems are also very heavily compartmentalized. You're not gonna hack a Jepp app and cause any flight problems. That's about as likely as saying someone is gonna hack the remote on your TV and force your washing machine to attack your dryer.

SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
That's a question I can't answer but I'm sure it's occurred to the people designing the planes' systems. I suspect--- but don't know--- that the coding for the flight control, flight management, and airplane systems is such that while they can talk to certain external devices wirelessly, getting information back into them is very controlled.

Most of the stuff I've been talking about---- AHM (Airplane Health Management), the use of iPads by mechanics correcting faults, and so on, so far involve the plane "talking," not the AHM engineer or mechanic talking to the plane. So far as I know, the only way to input flight and navigation data into the planes at this point is through the user interface (CDU) on the flight deck. And by hard connections that can be made in the electronics bay with a laptop or whatever.

The increasing use of the iPad by mechanics at airlines like Norwegian is again more of a "see what's happening" function than an interactive one with the plane itself. The iPad can wirelessly receive and display information from the plane's fault diagnosis system as well as wirelessly connect to the airline's central maintenance computer in the hangar at Oslo's Gardermoen airport. So the mechanic can see what's wrong and get all the information he needs about correcting the fault on the iPad. And if the component he replaces is one that the plane self-diagnoses, he can monitor that functional test on the iPad.

So this is going on now. The stuff I mentioned about the iPad becoming an integrated component of the displays and controls the flight crew uses when flying the plane is in the development and testing stage.

The same is true of developing iPad "apps" for the computer-based-training courses that flight crews use to meet currency requirements or transition from one plane type to another. It's in work. But this sort of thing will be self-contained on the iPad, not interactive with the plane.

But in all this development work maintaining airplane systems security is a heavily emphasized and ongoing consideration.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #24
FF
Guru

But in all this development work maintaining airplane systems security is a heavily emphasized and ongoing consideration.

That's about as likely as saying someone is gonna hack the remote on your TV and force your washing machine to attack your dryer.

Yet access thru the radar allows us to shut down the communication systems of the "bad guys".

I just hope this is better though out than the US power grid or nuke plant computer access.

WE will all be playing "you bet your life" as hackers get paid to create worm apps.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Oh, oh, sorry people I think I goofed. I should have made it more clear I was referring to the PMM website (which I hinted at not to be mentioned, but who cares), when I greeted John Baker's return and commented re how well the new website was going once we got used to it. (It disappeared) I stress I was not referring to the previous TF forum, as that worked so well, that's why we were cautious about the move at first. Sorry again. Maybe you could re-post that one now I've cleared that up.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Oh, oh, sorry people I think I goofed. I should have made it more clear I was referring to the PMM website (which I hinted at not to be mentioned, but who cares), when I greeted John Baker's return and commented re how well the new website was going once we got used to it. (It disappeared) I stress I was not referring to the previous TF forum, as that worked so well, that's why we were cautious about the move at first. Sorry again. Maybe you could re-post that one now I've cleared that up.
I have no clue what happened. We must have a rogue moderator running around in here. I saw nothing wrong with your post. Anyway, I'm not in charge around here no mo!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Ah well, it got sorted by someone John, so we are all good.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
I directed a shoot today on an ANA 787 that will be delivered shortly. I was working with a good friend of mine who is the chief production pilot for the 787 program. I've supported all our models from the 767 on (the 767 came before the 757). So I've been on a lot of airplanes as they were being built, flihght tested, and prepared for delivery

Until today, going onto one of our airplanes on the flightline would reveal flightline mechanics and flight crews working with lots of pieces of paper. Instructions, equipment descriptions, procedures, drawings, etc.

Today I don't think I saw a single piece of paper on the plane. Eveyone working inside and outside the plane had either a laptop or an iPad. My friend, who was conducting the flight control checks for us and explaining to the camera what he was doing, set his iPad on the lower lip of the intrument pane in front of himl and followed the test procedure on it.

So that's another big difference between the 787 and everything else--- it's pretty much a paperless airplane.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote