50's car game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I'm not old enough to play this game.* I had to guess on almost every one and usually guessed wrong.* But, I know there are some more, ah, um, ... senior folks (geezers, old farts)* in the group that probably owned and drove many of these.*
biggrin.gif

http://www.americantorque.com/game/car-show-50s/

That was fun......and easy for me as I got 100% right. Wondered about a De Soto - Chrysler issue but I must have got it right. And the last hood ornament was challenging as well. Thank's and I'll probably go through it again just to look at those wonderful cars!
smile.gif

*It's hard to believe this old Buick of mine is 20 years newer than those 50s cars. Of course if it was a 53 Buick it would be much harder*to maintain. As this 73 Buick Centurion is almost totally trouble free I'll prolly drive it some more but feeding a 455 engine is getting expensive.

Eric

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 12:22:43 PM

Attachments

• sth71057.jpg
    sth71057.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 55
  • sth71056.jpg
    sth71056.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 63
charles wrote:
I missed the one on the Kaiser as well. In high school, owned a 1953 Desoto, great big heavy car, 6 cyl and quiet smooth engine nothing like motors of today,

Had a "fluid drive" transmission. Ever heard of that?
*Yeah, never owned one, but a friend had a '53 dodge with a big engine and fluid drive. *As I remember, if you did it right you could shift without the clutch. *Dynaflo, torqueflite, and powerglide kinda made that obsolete. *Anybody remember what cars they belonged to.

charles wrote:
Let me see, without research: Dynaflo--Buick
Torqueflite----Dodge
Powerglide----Chevy
*Correct. *Hydramatic was the transmission in most of GMs other cars. *Dynaflo probably seemed the best because it was coupled with the really smooth Buick 8 cylinder enginss.

The early automatics were 2 speeds with torpue converter.

Fun nostalgia. Also hit 100%. the 50's were my teen years, so it was easy. I would never score as well on 80s or 90s cars.

charles wrote:
*"fluid drive" transmission. Ever heard of that?
*Yeah. A friend of mine had a Packard with a fluid drive. I learned to drive a clutch with it. Way Cool.

I didn't do so well. but I was born in 53. Where I come from we didn't have a car.* We still used a dog sled. 300 miles of dirt road to my home town. No electricity till 63.

I still got a lot right.

SD

83%

I had never even heard of a Henry J
Steve W

KnowBodyYouKnow wrote:
I got a 77 % ! And i'm in the car business for a long time . I must be tired ?
*Probably not old enough. *Back then they weren't cars. *They were real automobiles.
biggrin.gif

By the way, the Henry J was named for Henry J. Kaiser. *It was their small car. *The Willis was another off brand. *Although, they did do the Jeep.

Anyone remember the Crosley? *Obama would have loved it as long as we were driving it, and he had his limo and 747.

Moonstruck wrote:Anyone remember the Crosley?
*OMG! I haven't thought, read or heard that car name in over 60 years!

The first automatic I remember was the 38 Oldsmobile. Fluid drive came in two versions. One was just a clutch in series w a fluid coupling. As I recall Dodge's in the late 40s had this shift like a regular 3 speed stick. The other transmission was in De Sotos and Chrysler's and was a semi-automatic and driven w the shifting lever in a fixed position while normally driving ahead. One needed to modulate one's foot on the throttle to bring about shifting. Buick "Dynaflow" was the only automatic that normally did not shift. A one speed affair. Low on performance but very high on smoothness and Buick's were known for smoothness. With the smoothest transmission and the smoothest engine no other car challenged Buick on that score. With the torque tube drive shaft and coil springs on all four wheels the Buick's of the early 50s were probably smoother than any car in the world. The later Buick dynaflow's were actually at least a two stage torque converter and had excellent performance. They were called the Triple Turbine Dynaflow. So they may have been a 3 stage torque converter. I had a 401 cu in 63 Buick that really hauled the mail but got even worse gas millage the the big Roadmaster straight eight w or without the dynaflow. 8.5 mpg on premium fuel no matter what speed one drove. The TTD would be early 60's full sized Buick's. The only real torque converter for any passenger car that I know. By the time my 73 Buick was made it's engine was a typical ohv V8 and transmission the standard fluid coupled 3 speed. For your information.

Eric

Walt,

The Crosley became the 55hp Fisher Pierce Bearcat 4 stroke OB. As I recall the engine had a one piece block. That is the cyl head was one w the lower block. Like old Merc OBs.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 10:40:08 PM

SeaHorse II wrote:Moonstruck wrote:Anyone remember the Crosley?
*OMG! I haven't thought, read or heard that car name in over 60 years!

*Trivia question. *Does anyone remember the name of the Crosley sports car? *Now, don't cheat and look it up. *Pure memory here.

I had to think for about a minute.

Hotshot

nomadwilly wrote:
I had to think for about a minute.

Hotshot
*We have a winner here.
clap.gif

More trivia: *Anyone remember the name of the Nash small car that was 2 passengers that was basically bult in England / Morris Minor engine.

No searching, please.

Moonstruck wrote:*Probably not old enough. *Back then they weren't cars. *They were real automobiles.
biggrin.gif

62%, and I know I'm not old enough.* Matter 'o fact, I'm starting to feel like "the kid"*
biggrin.gif

nomadwilly wrote:
Metro
*BZZZZZZZZ * *Times up. *No cigar, Eric. *Close, but we aren't playing horse shoes. (we may have some that don't remember those) *Charles had it right. *It was the Metropolitan. *GM had a Metro that was a little down on the quality scale. *The Metropolitan was a scaled down version of the big Nash. *It was two passengers, and a pretty good car. *I had a buddy with one.

Oh, yeah. *It came in great two tone colors like coral and creme, and aqua and cream. *

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 23rd of December 2011 01:00:47 PM

BaltimoreLurker wrote:Moonstruck wrote:*Probably not old enough. *Back then they weren't cars. *They were real automobiles.
biggrin.gif

62%, and I know I'm not old enough.* Matter 'o fact, I'm starting to feel like "the kid"*
biggrin.gif

*You wish!
biggrin.gif

Hmmmmmmmm

Never thought the whole name would be necessary. They WERE good cars. They had a BLMC (MG) engine. I had a friend w one and drove it quite a bit. Was excellent but such a small car was not generally taken very seriously in those days.

Her's one:

What make of car had cork clutch plates and was one of the *top contenders in the Mexican Road Race of the early 50's ?

Eric

Nash Rambler, wasn't there a comic song about one of these trying to pass some highpowered car I can't emember how it went?
Steve W

Steve wrote:
Nash Rambler, wasn't there a comic song about one of these trying to pass some highpowered car I can't emember how it went?
Steve W
*Beep, Beep!

Sorry it's not Nash.

Yea it was the little Nash Rambler that was racing a Cadillac "his horn went beep beep beep" In the end he passed the Cadillac wondering how he was going to get "this car" out of second gear.

Does anybody remember the Mexican Road Race? It was a stock car race on public roads (blocked off) from Canada to Mexico. Seems wild eyed crazy now. The idea of going 125mph through Po Dunk Oklahoma in this day and age seems unbelievable.*

A hint for the question. You can eliminate any cars that did'nt have a stick shift option.*

I got 88 percent which is surprising because almost all these cars were before my time and I've not ever been much of a fan of American cars. But I must admit that a lot of my score was comprised of lucky guesses. I might know one or two in a grouping and then pretty much deduced the others.

This is a car that is has a small but significant role in the book I am currently writing. I'm curious to know if anyone recognizes it from personal experience rather than looking it up on the web. A rather fascinating car, actually, and while it was not very popular--- actually most people hated it when it first came out--- it's responsible for introducing some key design and structural features that are still used on cars today.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 59
I couldn't find it in my noodle, but I could on Google.
smile.gif

Marin wrote:
I got 88 percent which is surprising because almost all these cars were before my time and I've not ever been much of a fan of American cars. But I must admit that a lot of my score was comprised of lucky guesses. I might know one or two in a grouping and then pretty much deduced the others.

This is a car that is has a small but significant role in the book I am currently writing. I'm curious to know if anyone recognizes it from personal experience rather than looking it up on the web. A rather fascinating car, actually, and while it was not very popular--- actually most people hated it when it first came out--- it's responsible for introducing some key design and structural features that are still used on cars today.
*Looks like the Chrysler Air Flow. *I think it was built in 1939.

Eric, I remember the Mexican Road Race, but wasn't it called the Pan American Road Race. *I think Lincoln won it a couple of times.

Anybody remember the Cannon Ball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Dash Rally? *Talk about illegal races! *It was not sanctioned by any state.

Moonstruck wrote:Marin wrote:

Eric, I remember the Mexican Road Race, but wasn't it called the Pan American Road Race. *I think Lincoln won it a couple of times.

Anybody remember the Cannon Ball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Dash Rally? *Talk about illegal races! *It was not sanctioned by any state.

Visions of terrible B actor (no make that C, or is there a lesser rating?) Burt Reynolds come to mind.

dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:Marin wrote:

Visions of terrible B actor (no make that C, or is there a lesser rating?) Burt Reynolds come to mind.

David, you are correct as far as it goes. *"Smokey and the Bandit" was the cheap movie made about it. *Jackie Gleason was the sherrif, and Sally Fields was the girl.

There was a real rally the movie was loosly based on. *Brock Yates and a couple of other guys (maybe PJ O'Rourk) put it together. *It ran from New York City to California none stop. *I think they set a cross continental automobile record. *It wss wild, but nobody got killed. They drove balls out all the way.*

Marin wrote:

*Marin, didn't the Chrysler Air Flow have the first unitized body?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom