Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: 50's car game

Hmmmmmmmm

Never thought the whole name would be necessary. They WERE good cars. They had a BLMC (MG) engine. I had a friend w one and drove it quite a bit. Was excellent but such a small car was not generally taken very seriously in those days.

Her's one:

What make of car had cork clutch plates and was one of the *top contenders in the Mexican Road Race of the early 50's ?

Eric

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Nash Rambler, wasn't there a comic song about one of these trying to pass some highpowered car I can't emember how it went?
Steve W

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Steve wrote:
Nash Rambler, wasn't there a comic song about one of these trying to pass some highpowered car I can't emember how it went?
Steve W
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #24
Guru

Sorry it's not Nash.

Yea it was the little Nash Rambler that was racing a Cadillac "his horn went beep beep beep" In the end he passed the Cadillac wondering how he was going to get "this car" out of second gear.

Does anybody remember the Mexican Road Race? It was a stock car race on public roads (blocked off) from Canada to Mexico. Seems wild eyed crazy now. The idea of going 125mph through Po Dunk Oklahoma in this day and age seems unbelievable.*

A hint for the question. You can eliminate any cars that did'nt have a stick shift option.*
Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -

I got 88 percent which is surprising because almost all these cars were before my time and I've not ever been much of a fan of American cars. But I must admit that a lot of my score was comprised of lucky guesses. I might know one or two in a grouping and then pretty much deduced the others.

This is a car that is has a small but significant role in the book I am currently writing. I'm curious to know if anyone recognizes it from personal experience rather than looking it up on the web. A rather fascinating car, actually, and while it was not very popular--- actually most people hated it when it first came out--- it's responsible for introducing some key design and structural features that are still used on cars today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	9177  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #26
TF Site Team

I couldn't find it in my noodle, but I could on Google.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Marin wrote:
I got 88 percent which is surprising because almost all these cars were before my time and I've not ever been much of a fan of American cars. But I must admit that a lot of my score was comprised of lucky guesses. I might know one or two in a grouping and then pretty much deduced the others.

This is a car that is has a small but significant role in the book I am currently writing. I'm curious to know if anyone recognizes it from personal experience rather than looking it up on the web. A rather fascinating car, actually, and while it was not very popular--- actually most people hated it when it first came out--- it's responsible for introducing some key design and structural features that are still used on cars today.

*Looks like the Chrysler Air Flow. *I think it was built in 1939.

Eric, I remember the Mexican Road Race, but wasn't it called the Pan American Road Race. *I think Lincoln won it a couple of times.

Anybody remember the Cannon Ball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Dash Rally? *Talk about illegal races! *It was not sanctioned by any state.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #28
TF Site Team

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:Marin wrote:

Eric, I remember the Mexican Road Race, but wasn't it called the Pan American Road Race. *I think Lincoln won it a couple of times.

Anybody remember the Cannon Ball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Dash Rally? *Talk about illegal races! *It was not sanctioned by any state.

Visions of terrible B actor (no make that C, or is there a lesser rating?) Burt Reynolds come to mind.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:Marin wrote:

Visions of terrible B actor (no make that C, or is there a lesser rating?) Burt Reynolds come to mind.

David, you are correct as far as it goes. *"Smokey and the Bandit" was the cheap movie made about it. *Jackie Gleason was the sherrif, and Sally Fields was the girl.

There was a real rally the movie was loosly based on. *Brock Yates and a couple of other guys (maybe PJ O'Rourk) put it together. *It ran from New York City to California none stop. *I think they set a cross continental automobile record. *It wss wild, but nobody got killed. They drove balls out all the way.*
Old 12-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

*Marin, didn't the Chrysler Air Flow have the first unitized body?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Chrysler Airflow is correct. In order to write about it I had to learn about it. Introduced in 1934 and only built for four years. 1937 was the last year of production. In an attempt to make it more saleable Chrysler made some changes to the body and trim to make it more acceptable to a conservative buying public. So the 1937 model looked quite a bit different--- a lot more boring---than the 1934 model. But the public still didn't like it so the plug was pulled. Innovations, at least in the American car industry, were first car to be designed using a wind tunnel, first car to use monocoque body construction, first car to use a space frame, first car to have hydraulic brakes. Power was a straight-eight, side valve engine. Initially 299 cu in and 122 hp, by the end of production the engine had been increased in displacement and power to 323 cu in and 130 hp.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #32
TF Site Team

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:I think they set a cross continental automobile record.
I sort of remember this (from Road & Track Brock Yates remembrances or something). Any recollection as to elapsed time and from where to where?

Are there any US legal open road opportunities like that left?

I do follow the Targa Newfoundland sporadically. Close to open road. Or at least its on public roads even though partially closed off. Wish I had the money, driving skills (including youthful reactions) and car to do that. Although, I think that one can do that race in a more sedate class than the fast guys. Mmmm. Could I putter along the route in my MG?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #33
Guru

I almost bought a De Soto 2 dr Airflow. It had a Chrysler/De Soto flat head 6 and 3 on the floor. It was the smallest and sportiest Airflow. Where do you get those numbers Marin? I'm surprised you would know such details about such old cars.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
I almost bought a De Soto 2 dr Airflow. It had a Chrysler/De Soto flat head 6 and 3 on the floor. It was the smallest and sportiest Airflow. Where do you get those numbers Marin? I'm surprised you would know such details about such old cars.
One of the characters in the story I am currently writing needed a car and since I'm the one doing the writing I decided to give him a car that is interesting to me.* I'd heard of Airflows and thought one would suit this particular fellow just fine.* Of course in the timeframe my story is set it is not a collector car but simply a used, unpopular vehicle that few people wanted and so could be purchased very cheaply.

I write with my manuscript open on one screen and Google on the other one.* The internet is filled with total crap--- my own posts on OTDE are clear evidence of this, right?--- but one thing the internet is terrific for are facts about historical stuff.* When I needed to know the price of a gallon of gas in Fall River, Massachusets in 1942, for example, it took me about ten seconds to find it.* So technical information about the Airflow was very easy to find.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:I think they set a cross continental automobile record.
I sort of remember this (from Road & Track Brock Yates remembrances or something). Any recollection as to elapsed time and from where to where?

I do follow the Targa Newfoundland sporadically. Close to open road. Or at least its on public roads even though partially closed off. Wish I had the money, driving skills (including youthful reactions) and car to do that. Although, I think that one can do that race in a more sedate class than the fast guys. Mmmm. Could I putter along the route in my MG?

*Here you go, David

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonb...al_Trophy_Dash

Don't know of any legal open road race in the US.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:I think they set a cross continental automobile record.

*Here you go, David

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonb...al_Trophy_Dash

Don't know of any legal open road race in the US.

*Cool! I like Dan Gurney's comment "At no time did we exceed 175 mph".
Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #37
Guru

The answer to my question about the cork clutch and the road race was Hudson.

The Hudson was hardly recognised as a high performance car by most people but Hudson in 1948 started building their cars w the floor pans level w the bottom of the frame while all other cars had their floors on top of the frame. That made the Hudson considerably lower than anything on the road and if they had had a ohv V8 of about 300 cu in they probably would have won the Mexican Road Race. But they still had a flat head 6 ....a good one but it could'nt compete w the Lincoln. The Hudson did have cork clutch plates and as teenagers we were hard on clutches but when the Hudson's clutch began to slip it recovered when it cooled off ...unlike any other car.*

Eric