Old 01-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #81

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Forbes just named TN. Governor Haslem the richest politician in the country!! He owns Pilot Truck stops. Lower oil prices have increased profits at the pump even with lower prices. go figure!! His estimated wealth has go from 9 Million to over 2 BILLION

jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #82
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I am glad prices are down. I now have more $$ in my pocket to spend at the boat show....

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #83
FF
Guru

Just think of the extra cash you and the nation would have if the left did not nix

DRILL HERE,,, DRILL NOW!

For the past 3 decades !!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #84
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Just think of the extra cash you and the nation would have if the left did not nix

DRILL HERE,,, DRILL NOW!

For the past 3 decades !!

Exactly, instead of enriching those who hate us we could have been creating American jobs and helping our own economy.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #85
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Don’t forget about smart plans to conserve “personal” calories burned in a very long term turtle and hare race… actually, centuries long race(s)... that is.

Slow never ending progress/proceedures that reduces “personal” calories burned does not only win in distance traveled or race(s) finished for the winner in the long run; but also for calories to continue running after passing the first, second or third “finish” lines with health always remaining to win each “next” race – while still standing TALL.

For many, many decades the U.S. has sucked up Middle East’s reserve oil to keep us moving along in the procedural race of national and international development, with only some of our own energy reserves being used and new sources of energy being developed - by us.

For last several decades white shawled leader-type folks in the Eastern Nations have had a good financial run while several increments in this long-term race have happened… don’t forget it is our companies that began sucking oil out of the ground in mid-east and not until a period of time had passed did mid-east nations rationalize enough (late 50’s early 60’s) to cooperatively nationalize their own oil consortium (can we spell OPEC). Then, and not until then, did they become mighty in the doings of international energy allowances, prices, and production (e.g. 1973 oil embargo). See: Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries(OPEC / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPEC

Soooo… as U.S. kept pace at its tempered turtle speed of slowly using its own energy reserves, and heavily utilizing OPEC’s reserves, the fun race of national and international development continued at various rates of speed in various global races for last half of 20th Century and beginning of 21st Century.

By that time, as happenstance had it, low and behold the U.S. was forced (God bless those that want down due to WTC debacle) to enter into wars inside some and in proximity to all the “oil rich” Middle East Nations. Now Just Imagine how/why That All Occurred!

Meantime, for many years, OPEC was thrashing us (and other nations) with increased [unstable] oil prices, which made it even more advantageous for U.S. and others to develop efficient ways to exploit our (their) own oil reserves while engineering more efficient processes of burning oil in many hundreds of millions (billions) hydrocarbon engines and other power producing units/processes/procedures. We also invented and are still rapidly inventing completely new-source energies that circumvent many previous needs for crude oil.

Now, as “our U.S. turtle” heads toward another finish line in Q1/Q2 of 21st Century OPEC is forced to lower oil prices for fear that U.S. and other nations with reserves will suddenly take over international oil production and leave OPEC nations with mostly sand to fill their bank accounts. Therefore, in attempt to shore up their one (drilled crude oil volume) truly valuable commodity’s position as a world leader energy-material OPEC is forced to drop prices low enough to at least temporally horse-corral (in effect slow down) the currently developing new-source oil productions by U.S. and other nations. That said - those techniques of ours are still readily available, and, OPEC knows that. Be careful with your prices from now on OPEC... we can step on you anytime we want by increasing production depending on your price levels. Be aware, although you can currently cut crude-oil prices below what is profitable for us to match - our methods in production technology are improving... so you will probably need to stay real low in price, maybe even progressively lower - or we will step on you!

This all is occurring while we, the crude-oil energy production turtle, still drain OPEC’s oil reserves at prices that now can enable better economic times for U.S. and other nations. Pretty much no matter how the next several decades play out regarding crude-oil production and use… eventually OPEC will be left holding sand, not oil, and rest of world (especially our USA) will continue to reach the finish line making ready to enter and win the next race(s).

Caveat I feel need to place here: Crude Oil, i.e. hydrocarbon burning uses (therefore oil production and sales), will experience an untold rate of internationally mandated reductions in not too distant future (during next couple decades) due to needs apparent for cleaning up Earth’s atmosphere and oceans. The effect of “this race” will create surges in new, clean energy developments as well as for many new ways to “profitably” provide ecosphere betterment and climate stabilization. In the long run of civilization’s race(s) toward centuries from now future conditions… OPEC will become a foot note regarding human creations of required energy sources. Our U.S., “our very own intelligent/unstoppable turtle”, will also lead in these race(s) for salvaging and then ongoing improving Earth’s overall environmental conditions. I know, a very quiet turtle-like Corp of mine has for over a decade been proceeding forward in a consortium of organizations regarding several improvement methods and products that are being planned to provide global implications with international utility scale cash flows.

If you are going to bet on any country – bet on our own – The USA!

Happy Life Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #86

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
We didn't frack 3 decades ago because fracking wasn't invented, not because of any democratic conspiracy. All this fracking oil came on the market in a DEMOCRATIC administration. You can have your own opinion but you can't invent your own facts.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #87

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
They were fracking in the 50's. First tried as an experiment in 1947. Since advent of horizontal drilling, it certainly helps increase production in a well.

http://www.powerincooperation.com/EN....lnvP51to.dpbs
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #88
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
They were fracking in the 50's. First tried as an experiment in 1947. Since advent of horizontal drilling, it certainly helps increase production in a well.

Drilling & Completion - There's Power in Cooperation
Rebel, thanks for link.

I thoroughly read the link and closely reviewed its diagram. Also watched ConocoPhillips video on right-hand window. Very sanitary. Your thoughts?

No matter whatever we may think and whatever may be happening regarding hoz-drilling/fracking... it seems that, ever increasing use of those and other hydrocarbon-fuel retrieval methods, which glutted the fuel markets in general, has forced OPEC to drop prices!

Interesting... to say the least!

Hope our govt's several levels do not begin to each pile-on their own taxes now that liquid and gas hydrocarbon fuel prices have substantially dropped... but, we all know how govt is. CA is already musing such.

Big problem would be if the base price of crude oil regained too-tall price levels after taxes have been instated. Cause... it's not too often any govt division rescinds or even reduces an operating tax on anything. Think what a gallon of gas could cost then! OUCH...
Old 01-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #89

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
I have just been hoping for the US to combined increased US oil production, development and implantation of energy efficient homes, new autos, trucks and boats with an end result that we no longer imported oil from outside the US.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #90
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I have just been hoping for the US to combined increased US oil production, development and implantation of energy efficient homes, new autos, trucks and boats with an end result that we no longer imported oil from outside the US.
Then we (Canada) can mothball the tar sands, right?
Old 01-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #91
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I don't mind importing things. I do not mind importing oil.

What I do mind, is having one group, or country, or commodity producer having the ability to influence control over our economy.

Oil dependance created that situation. Having the USA become a net oil exporter changes the whole economic situation on a global scale for the better.

That, and quite simply, oil extraction, creates jobs. Good paying honest jobs. That's good for everyone.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
That, and quite simply, oil extraction, creates jobs. Good paying honest jobs. That's good for everyone.
Not quite:

Kitimat residents vote 'no' in pipeline plebiscite - The Globe and Mail

Here's a few reasons why we voted no;

https://docs.neb-one.gc.ca/ll-eng/ll...9831&vernum=-2
Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 AM   #93
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Murry

Thaks for the link, but it is meaningless. Yes, in a small town in BC the local residents, in a non binding vote, voted against a pipeline.

I live in Alaska, and I work in the largest oil field in North America. I see the oilfield jobs with my own eyes every single day.

I not only see the jobs directly in the oilfield, I see them in town. I see people working hard, makking a good living, and spending that money. Oil jobs benefit everybody around them. Thats because if I make a dollar, I spend it, generally locally. That employs people in every industry.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:40 AM   #94
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
[FONT=Verdana]

[FONT=Verdana]For many, many decades the U.S. has sucked up Middle Eastís reserve oil to keep us moving along in the procedural race of national and international.....
I don't believe the U.S. has ever been much of an importer of Middle East oil. Venezuela, yes, and Canada. But Middle East oil goes to Europe, India, and Asia.

From everything we've heard recently in the course of our work overseas, the Saudis aren't concerned about US or Canadian oil production. Their current policies and actions are aimed at maintaining stability in their region, which is a huge concern for them.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:41 AM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Murry

Thaks for the link, but it is meaningless.
Far from meaningless! It was vital in stopping Prime Minister Harper and Enbridge from claiming they had 'social license' in British Columbia, made international news, and was a contributing factor for Harper giving his Kiss of Death approval to the project.

BC has had a moratorium on exploratory drilling offshore for oil and gas for over 50 years. Why should BC shoulder most of the risk for Alberta's tar sands diluted bitumen (and the mere handfull of jobs an export pipeline would provide) when we aren't willing to put our coastline at risk for multigenerational harm for our own pot of petro gold?

Don't know if you saw the extra link I edited into my post above...might shed some light on why this project is so risky.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #96
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Without the resource industry and exporting of various products, Western Canada would be in a real bind. Kitimat would not exist as it's very being is based upon exporting of refined Al resulting from hydro electric power.

The real truth regarding the pipelines from the tar sands to the BC coast is they are not needed by the oil producers, they were only an option. Tar sands oil is too expensive and without 100 dollar oil Alberta's fortunes therefrom will flag dramatically. Thanks to the US oil industry's ingenuity, oil will remain in oversupply for the foreseeable future and world politics will be very much changed over the next century. Thus the relationship between tar sands production and Western Canada's place in oil exporting is murky.

Alas, Kitimat's very existence is threatened too as the world's glut of Al keeps prices of the silver metal low. Without outside economic help from infrastructure cost sharing the pipeline would have brought, the current Al business in Kitimat may well be doomed. The old adage "be careful what you wish for," is at play here. Look no further than Ocean Fals for a hint of Kitimat's future. There are forces now in motion and soon to be realized by the BC public. The big winner will be Prince Rupert, now the primary Western Canada outlet for Alberta oil.

Sadly, the demise of these oil outlet options will curtail development of much needed tar sands cleanup improvements in Alberta. So a double whammy has occurred for Canada, tar sands jobs and Kitimat existence are foreshadowed.

None of the U.S. or Saudi oil producers are sad about your success Murray. Nor the North Sea producers which have huge public and government support for that oil sector's success. Think of Kitimat as a domino being pulled, it really does work that way.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #97
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I don't believe the U.S. has ever been much of an importer of Middle East oil. Venezuela, yes, and Canada. But Middle East oil goes to Europe, India, and Asia.

From everything we've heard recently in the course of our work overseas, the Saudis aren't concerned about US or Canadian oil production. Their current policies and actions are aimed at maintaining stability in their region, which is a huge concern for them.
1973 oil embargo that got this whole rigmarole of increasing/fluxing oil prices underway was due to Canada and Venezuela... NOT! It was solely due to OPEC’s crude oil price alterations... led by Saudi Arabia.

Recently deceased Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al Saud put his intelligently devised and now developing global oil price “war-game” into motion during his last few years of life. His plans are for this price-war to last as long as necessary so that Saudi Arabia remains on top… even higher up than before. His intent was (and is from his grave) to insure international needs for Saudi oil by crushing the other “oil-sales-dependent” producer nations’ economies while simultaneously thwarting the highly leveraged, new tech manners of oil production via simply making them unaffordable to continue. Saudi Arabia’s break-even cost for extracting per barrel is $10. Other nations and oil companies’ costs range from $40 to $130. Although Saudi Arabia would for a couple to few years greatly reduce its annual income by dropping its price of oil way down… unlike other oil-production-dependent nations (and companies) it will not go broke. And, unlike the relatively fledging and greatly leveraged high-tech-oil-retrieval companies in U.S., Canada ,and other established countries, whose economies are not solely dependent on oil exports… Saudi has more than enough liquid cash to weather this global economic “oil-based” price-war-storm that King Abdullah planned and is now being put into action.

U.S does import from Canada and Ven too; more so than yesteryear. But, it is Saudi Arabia that sets the world standard for crude oil availability as well as crude oil price. U.S. also imports a lot of oil from SA.

Of course the Middle East, Saudi Arabia in particular (The BIG Dog), does not want the world to know all the all of the real reasons why they have dropped and are continuing to drop their oil price. And, a small sum of this drop is for as you mention "... aimed at maintaining stability in their region..."; good picture for them to paint as they economically crush other producers - around the world. Vast majority of their reasoning is to break the oil-economy of other nations and to thwart the ever increasing availability of oil via technology improvements… by driving companies and locations into bankruptcy and therefore production shut downs.

U.S. Imports by Country of Origin: http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_epc0_im0_mbblpd_a.htm

U.S. Imports from Saudi Arabia: http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MTTIMUSSA2&f=M

U.S. Imports from Canada: http://business.financialpost.com/2014/10/08/oil-canada-exports-us/?__lsa=593e-5d75

Venezuela's future? 'Barbarity and people looting' (watch all three cnbc videos – ESPECIALLY Video # 3): Falling crude: Oil prices crush Venezuela's ailing economy#.

Happy Oil-Glut/Price-War Daze! - Art
Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #98

City: Vancouver BC
Good find Art. This pretty much summarises the reason behind what the Saudis are up to.
They are getting rid of the competition, which won't be hard with the huge difference in cost in extracting the stuff.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #99
Guru

Sunchaser:

Kitimat was given a choice, and despite there being no spending limits on Enbridge who used a barrage of steady TV, radio, and full page newspaper ads across BC, gifts of iPads to Kitimat high school students, 4x8 signs around town, glossy brochures mailed to every address, and flying teams of 'experts' to Kitimat for their door knocking campaign, they lost.

Kitimat's Mayor and Counil also allowed anybody who was a resident of town two weeks prior to the plebiscite to vote...there were thousands of workers living in camps just outside of town for the construction of the new aluminum smelter (who couldn't vote) but there were hundreds who lived in town who could.

Kitimat didn't vote 'no' lightly, given we had the dubious distinction of being the fastest shrinking city in Canada; going from 14,000 to 8,000 about a decade ago.

Harper has washed his hands of Enbridge's Northern Gateway proposal because he knows he needs BC to stay Prime Minister. I giggle to think he became a politician because Ottawa was telling Alberta what to do against its wishes, and now, he risks his parliamentary majority or even the Prime Ministership if he pushes export pipelines to tidewater against the wishes of the majority of British Columbians.

My feeling is Harper will support the Energy East pipeline because it will mean refineries (and jobs) in eastern Canada, and he'll play the humanitarian card in order to get diluted bitumen to Europe so they aren't so dependant on Russia.

Kitimat is no Ocean Falls...there will always be people other than the Haisla who will never leave, and will always find a way to live here. Will our fortunes wax and wain? You bet. We just have a problem with Enbridge, who spilled 3.8 million litres into both the Kalamazoo River and in Hardisty Alberta, who has admitted they will burn our Kitimat River estuary after a spill, who has admitted they will dredge the salmon gravel out of our river and close it to fishing for "at least four years", who admitted a spill at Hunter Creek would pollute nearly the entire length of the Kitimat River in as little as four hours but their spill response commander would just be showing up on scene to assess if it was safe for workers to approach in those same four hours, and who has no responsibility once the diluted bitumen is put aboard foreign flagged VLCC's.

Then there's the two 'Z' turns between Hecate Strait and Douglas Channel...
Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #100

City: Vancouver BC
@Murray

I think that you will find a gradual "change of heart" as the oil/gas companies include the natives in profit sharing.
BC's 3 oil refineries: which will go? - Industry News - Pipeline News North

West is offline   Reply With Quote