Old 07-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

City: Portland OR
St. Petersburg marina recommendations?

Greetings everyone,

We're thinking of possibly moving to St. Petersburg Florida to continue our retirement (and buy boat #14). I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and recommendations anyone might have for marinas in the area. We'll check them out on our next visit there - good boating is a requirement if we're going to move.

Thank you!

Old 07-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
There are many. can you give some idea what you plan. Boat size, liveaboard? near stuff or dont care. ICW or bay. etc,

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #3

Thanks bayview. It would be for a 40-45 ft boat (currently shopping for it). Non liveaboard. Am flexible for Bay or ICW, don't know the area well enough to choose yet. Priorities are security (both from weather and theft) and decent docks, more than being close to stuff (though that would be nice). A covered slip is much preferred.

Any and all thoughts are gratefully appreciated! Thank you!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
St Pete is a nice town but real estate prices have sky rocketed there. If you have real good reason for wanting to live there and a deep pocket, by all means find a home there but you can find lot better values down south of Venice and north of Naples and Gulf boating is just as good if not better.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Guru

Look here for a few suggestions:
https://www.google.com/search?q=st.+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

There aren't many with covered slips and they don't come available often. Loggerhead has some and is very protected, the muni also but less protected.

Sounds like you are in the exploration stage. That's good as there is a lot to consider. Including the fact that marinas are pretty full and you might have to start at one then move as space comes available. Security varies but Loggerhead is in a hurricane hole but has little physical security.

Come and look. There are boats and marinas on both sides of the county and most people are happy with where they are located.

Here is a link containing the city marina web cam. A bit slow but it does move.
Webcam - St. Petersburg

Have fun.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Thank you Donsan. We're going to expand our search. We liked what we saw in St. Petersburg on our first visit. But, when we looked into houses, both the prices, and the speed at which they sell (many are sold in a day or two!) took our breath away. It's crazy!

Thank you bayview. We're still very much in the exploration stage, and haven't even definitively decided to move to St. Petersburg (though we are leaving where we are now, and so far the St. Pete area (Pinellas county?) is at the top of the list).

Good boating and marinas are a must-have for wherever we move, so it's one of the first things I investigate (my wife has other priorities...). It's one thing to read about places on the internet, but there's no substitute for personal experience. Just in the first few phone calls I've made, I've gotten the message that demand for slips exceeds the supply in St. Petersburg. You're absolutely right, we'd probably have to grab a slip wherever it's available, and then hope to hop to more preferred marinas.

Oh well... the coming inevitable correction in the stock market may cool off a bit the over-heated demand for slips (and houses and boats as well) around St. Petersburg.

Thanks again!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I am in St Pete at the moment. Plenty transient slips available at the Municipal Marina. I enquired about long term and the said they had openings. Price was reasonable for the area. I don't have a rate sheet though. Sent it to friends in Texas who are coming over in the fall.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We have stayed at the Municipal Marina a few times and really enjoyed it, it is very close to stores, restaurants, and Museums. I don't have experience with any other marinas there so can't compare.
Are you familiar with the Active Captain website? There are lots of user reviews, pricing, etc there.
Good luck
Old 07-03-2017, 11:17 PM   #9

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
A recent TF thread on this topic might interest you: Moving from East coast fl to west coast

Often I have thought that living aboard in St. Petersburg wouldn't be too bad, and one likely spot would be the Maximo Marina, formerly known as Maximo Moorings. It's just off the ICW in Boca Ciega Bay, and is convenient to many shoreside amenities. Publix, the ne plus ultra of grocery stores (in the Southeastern U.S., at least) is a short walk. They have deep covered as well as open slips. Maximo Marina Overview | Maximo Marina
Old 07-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Tampa Bay
Vessel Name: Belle Aurore
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC 48/53
We have been in a covered slip at Maximo for four years and just signed a new lease for a covered slip when the renovation is complete. Maximo is undergoing a 25M upgrade. Currently the marina has no amenities but the new construction promises resteraunts and other goodies. Their travel lift can handle large boats and the location is well protected. It's very close to shopping but the high life of downtown is a few miles away. We find the marina quiet and everyone is very respectful.
BelleAurore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #11
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I had an extended stay at Maximo in 2006. The covered slip was great. I also had some work done with a haul out. It was a very satisfactory stay. The other two times I visited by water we stayed at SPYC. It's a great yacht club right down town, but they have an outpost at Pass a Grille. The municipal marina is next door, and in a great location.

In St. Pete you will be dealing with a lot of vehicle traffic. I like the Bradenton/Sarasota area. Good boating available from there.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #12
Guru

Waterfront houses with a wide water view in Pinellas have always been expensive relative to non waterfront. canal front much less so.

The barrier beach towns have most of the canal houses. Road traffic is much worse in some areas and towns where lots of people want to go to the beach.. e.g. Clearwater beach, Anna Maria island. parts of Sarasota, Sanibel etc.

from a price point of view you get what you pay for. Southern Pinellas is unique in that it is a peninsula so there is less traffic at the south end.
I lived in Treasure island with the boat behind the house for a long time and loved it now
Old 07-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
St Pete is a nice town but real estate prices have sky rocketed there. If you have real good reason for wanting to live there and a deep pocket, by all means find a home there but you can find lot better values down south of Venice and north of Naples and Gulf boating is just as good if not better.
Not sure that Venice is much cheaper. It's a really nice quaint town, a LOT smaller ICW boating area and going north or south it's pretty narrow. As opposed to St. Pete area, there are a lot more bays and open areas and a ton more place to boat to in a short distance.

But just south of Venice into the Ft. Myers area there's a LOT of boating to do. I'd probably put Ft Myers on a higher list than Venice for boating, but both fine towns. Naples is a zoo, traffic as bad as St. Pete area.

The water is clearer further south.

I live on the Land side of Madeira Beach and happy with my location excepting some tide issues. Having the boat behind the house is the ONLY way to go (for me), unless you like the social life at the marina (and the price to go with it).

For covered slips, Homeport Marina has some, just north of Dunedin. Nice place with good restaurant and pool. There's a few downtown St. Pete, but can't remember where they are.

You might want to rent for a bit to get the lay of the land, and figure out what works for you. Lots of good choices, from Bradenton up to Tarpon. Generally, the further north you go toward Tarpon, the cheaper it is and up into Hudson, gets quite reasonable.

A lot of the state is going thru a real estate boom, with prices going up and hard to buy. But there's always a deal out there. If you can't afford one, buy two and sell one with a profit to support the other... works!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #14

Thank you! Reading on-line is one thing, but there's no substitute for experiences of people actually in the area. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

It seems getting either a house, or a slip, are going to be a bit difficult. I've heard back from a few marinas. There seem to be some open slips available, but not covered, with 1 year+ waiting lists. Housing is even tougher. It seems like many houses sell literally within days, before we even have time to see them. I'd love to have a house with a dock, but those are both expensive, and brings flooding risk. Makes us a little uneasy, thinking of buying into a market that appears to be a rapidly inflating bubble. But then, at our age, time to wait isn't exactly on our side...
Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #15
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
We have friends who were living the RV life and decided to sell the RV and buy a house. They ended up building a new house near Punta Gorda not too far from the Burnt Store Marina. The builder was very good. 2000sq ft house, 3 car garage, 1/2 acre lot, pool, pavers, etc for $400K or so. I think it took 9 months for the construction. They are about 10ft above sea level which is fairly good for the west coast of FL. We were very impressed.

You might want to check that area.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #16

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
We keep Sherpa at Loggerhead Marina, which is north of the Sunshine Skyway. We have been very pleased. There is a fixed bridge that limits sailboats, but I've seen larger trawlers such as a Defever 44 make it through. What I like best about the location is the relatively protected waters.

Chris
Old 07-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #17

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
For covered slips, Homeport Marina has some, just north of Dunedin. Nice place with good restaurant and pool. There's a few downtown St. Pete, but can't remember where they are.

We love Homeport Marina and its restaurant Ozana Blue. The marina provides easy access to Anclote Island, Three Rooker Bar, and Caladesi. St. Joseph's Sound is probably my favorite boating location in Florida!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #18

City: Loudon, TN
Vessel Name: Sea Duck II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32
Agree on SPYC. Very nice people, superb dining and a great location. I used a reciprocal membership for access. I have no idea what the dues might be, but it's one of the nicest yacht clubs I've visited.
vistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #19

City: St. Petersburg
I live in the Municipal Marina on forth avenue northeast
Great great location. Waiting list was eight months for my slip when I moved here May 2015.
Robowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
T There seem to be some open slips available, but not covered, with 1 year+ waiting lists.
Covered slips are in the minority in Florida.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote