Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #21

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Covered slips are in the minority in Florida.
So true! Expect a very long waiting list for a covered slip at most marinas in the area. I called around and most were many months long.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
I would hate to have a covered slip in Fl, live aboard or not.

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #23
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
I would hate to have a covered slip in Fl, live aboard or not.
I'd LOVE to have one. Did have one, but too small and code didn't allow me to enlarge it.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:34 AM   #24

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Send a message via Skype™ to IntervaleII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
Thank you! Reading on-line is one thing, but there's no substitute for experiences of people actually in the area. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

It seems getting either a house, or a slip, are going to be a bit difficult. I've heard back from a few marinas. There seem to be some open slips available, but not covered, with 1 year+ waiting lists. Housing is even tougher. It seems like many houses sell literally within days, before we even have time to see them. I'd love to have a house with a dock, but those are both expensive, and brings flooding risk. Makes us a little uneasy, thinking of buying into a market that appears to be a rapidly inflating bubble. But then, at our age, time to wait isn't exactly on our side...

St Pete is nice, however you may want to expand your search south and not box yourself only into only one area. Many nice areas and friendly for boaters on the West coast, spent the last 15+ years cruising these waters. Tampa bay all the way down to Naples. Now after the recent storm, your options may increase and be more than you think.
Good hunting.
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
St Pete is nice, however you may want to expand your search south and not box yourself only into only one area. Many nice areas and friendly for boaters on the West coast, spent the last 15+ years cruising these waters. Tampa bay all the way down to Naples. Now after the recent storm, your options may increase and be more than you think.
Good hunting.
That's a good point, and there's lots of choices.

If I were starting over, I'd probably look further south, to get a bit more out of the crowds. St. Pete is still largely working class folks, unlike it was years ago. Not bad but increases the crowds and make rush hour nasty.

Sarasota is a bit better, but still busy, and more expensive... but a WONDERFUL inter coastal area... and huge.

Venice is really neat, but a very small ICW area. A bit more of a quaint tourist area kinda like Tarpon Springs, but would be high on my list.

Ft. Myers is another great area. Also busy but not as bad as St. Pete. And a lot of choices. Not up to speed with house prices, but a bit off the beaten path, like up Charlotte Harbor and Cape Coral offered nice waterfront homes less than St. Pete.

Naples is too expensive for me, but a nice harbor. Marco is awful crowded but not big. Between the two is pretty neat and came close to buying a waterfront home there a few years back, but didn't happen.

I'm staying in St. Pete for a number of reasons. For boating there's a LOT of neat places to go within a few hours.... from Tarpon to Sarasota, Bradenton, Tampa and just up and down the ICW. And "generally" waterfront homes are a bit lower priced than elsewhere along the west coast of FL. And get pretty reasonable going a bit north.

And, yes, we are in an inflationary bubble.. but not significant compared to 2008. But, there could be a correction and a few folks could get hurt.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Tossing in a couple of more pluses for St. Pete on top of Seavee's. It's convenient to a major airport. If you're doing much traveling at all, a huge plus to me. We will cruise, leave our boat, fly home, fly back.

Also, and this may be a negative to many, but other advantages of a big city and a tourist area are entertainment from sports to arts plus restaurants and amenities. In St. Pete, convenient to Disney and can take advantage of it's less crowded periods.

Then, convenience to services from boat related to home related, to decent medical care and other advantages.

St. Pete sort of like a medium sized city connected to larger.

Now, we love Ft. Myers, have good friends how love Sarasota and Venice and Naples are great towns for visiting. Seavee mentioned being able to go either way from St. Pete. The reality is it's more like four directions. Run across to the northern gulf shore, south to the towns mentioned and the keys, east through the Okeechobee to the east coast of FL from which you can also run North or South.

We are decidedly South Florida and East Coast fans and wouldn't live anywhere else, but St. Pete is a very nice area.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #27
Guru

BandB,

Thanks for the nice comments on my town. Overall, I'm happy with it. If there were two things I'd change:

I'd get rid of all the people
And I'd put the airport next to my house.
<g>

....... regarding crowds, often, where ever one lives, if they can get a spot on the water, just getting out into the boat seems to feel like an escape from the busy town and into a different world.

Heading out, now.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #28

Ft Meyers has a great little international airport, Southwest Florida international airport. Flown in and out of there over the past 6 years, it's pretty convenient and easy to use.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
Ft Meyers has a great little international airport, Southwest Florida international airport. Flown in and out of there over the past 6 years, it's pretty convenient and easy to use.
Depends on where you're flying to and from but it it does fly to a few major cities nonstop.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:59 AM   #30

I usually fly there from Tokyo via a connection from DC or Chicago. Pretty convenient since the boat is near there for the winters.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #31
Guru

FWIW,

Ft. Myers Regions Southwest has 44 nonstop, with a few to Canada or Europe

Punta Gorda has 41 non stops, with a few to Canada

Tampa has 140 non stops with also a few international ones.

If one is a real road warrior and in the air every week, Tampa does have some advantages. But for real international flights one needs Miami or New York.

For "me" an airline airport would not be a consideration.