Spring Fling Time (Texas)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
Spring fling.jpg

Will y'all be returning for the event?? The same ole scoundrels will be going this year as last. Looking forward to it. I am actually off the week before so we are likely going to Lake Charles first and then sliding back to the west.

John, unless you are into gambling, keep going a few more hours to Port Arthur. There are places to anchor out that are totally secluded (you can swim with alligators) or go in to the municipal marina. All the bars and restaurants are within walking distance and everyone, even law enforcement, are friendly.

We are thinking we could make the SF, as we have decided to head for Port Aransas, in a week or two. I will let you know once we are FOR SURE headed back :)

John, unless you are into gambling, keep going a few more hours to Port Arthur. There are places to anchor out that are totally secluded (you can swim with alligators) or go in to the municipal marina. All the bars and restaurants are within walking distance and everyone, even law enforcement, are friendly.

We are thinking we could make the SF, as we have decided to head for Port Aransas, in a week or two. I will let you know once we are FOR SURE headed back :)

Sounds good. And I'm not sure what you are saying ref Port Arthur. Coming from Houston we will be passing Port Arthur to go to Lake Charles?

Ha. I was wondering the same thing. Thought maybe Port Arthur had moved. ?

Last edited:
Think ol' Dimer is thinking of Lake Arthur, east of Lake Charles...

Think ol' Dimer is thinking of Lake Arthur, east of Lake Charles...

I think you're correct. I know they spent a lot longer there than they had planned....IOW had a lot of fun!

What??? :eek: Aborting the Bahamas? :banghead: Dave and I are heading to Lake Arthur Friday to watch the "Crawfish Regata". :) If your heading back west, give me a heads up and I might join you.:socool:

What can I say....I am directionally challenged! Lake Arthur is what I meant!! Heck I missed Cuba and hit Florida by mistake. Don't follow me anywhere :)

Doug, the weather has been weird, coupled with the fact we have enjoyed the heck out of Tarpon Springs, so there is always next year....:)

Hey! Can't get in a hurry when your having fun!!

Hey! Can't get in a hurry when your having fun!!

We plan on stopping at your "camp" whether you are there or not, I remember where you keep the key! If we don't get to meet the wife this time, you will be in trouble :)

Dunno how big of a hurry you will be in to get back this way but you should try to time your arrival to hit the Spring Fling at the end of May.

We plan on stopping at your "camp" whether you are there or not, I remember where you keep the key! If we don't get to meet the wife this time, you will be in trouble :)
Anytime-Wife still recovering from knee replacement, getting better. I will make it a point to get her out there.

John. No hurry at all so we may just do that. Several of the Beaumont Yacht Club will be there. Plan on running outside from Gulfport, to Venice and on to Cypremont Point and then on to Pleasure Island.

If you go to Pleasure Island Yacht Club's web page, they have the waypoints for going through 1000 ft cut, which will save you about 20 miles. I wouldn't do it without those waypoints, there are pilings just below the surface.

Doug, we can travel together from your place to Spring Fling if interested? I like to show up Thursday as Friday is a mad house with around 200 boats showing up.

Last year was a blast! Took three days to recover!

It gets better and better,

DDlame
Wyoboater
Baker
Dimer2

All registered for Spring Fling. It's going to be a hoot..... Sorry, I mean educational.

I'm working hard to have my boat ready for Spring Fling. It will be our first major cruise if we can make it.

Kevin

Kevin, that would be great. Wyoboater (another Kevin) is in the marina next door so you'all could wander over together if so inclined. It is a great shake down cruise as it is doable in one (long) day or two easy days. The best part is there will be 100 fellow boaters doing the same trip so you won't get lonely!

We met so many great folks from the Houston area last year, we just have to go again this year.

Yeah, I'm pumped-another fun destination.:) I better get my oil changed before I go.

Hah Hah RTF! The funniest part is he doesn't drink!

To all of you in the Clear Lake Area. My crew and I plan on leaving Clear Lake early Fri am...........I know Dimer..late...........BUT, we would love to have a little flotilla if any others are leaving around then? Pm me, or msg me or SUMPIN!!!

To all of you in the Clear Lake Area. My crew and I plan on leaving Clear Lake early Fri am...........I know Dimer..late...........BUT, we would love to have a little flotilla if any others are leaving around then? Pm me, or msg me or SUMPIN!!!

We are likely leaving....earlier that week. We are gonna go mess around in Louisiana and then hit SF on the way back. But looking forward to seeing all of y'all that weekend. We are hosting a stop on the "dock crawl poker run". Our drink will be my (in)famous Bakeritas...aka "roofyritas". They are insanely good with a LOT of tequila. You just can't taste it. So you chug them down. BEWARE.....you have been warned!!!!

Kev, better late than never! When you arrive, you will find me on Bakers boat (for obvious reasons).

I will be arriving from the east, so can't join the flotilla! The Harvey lock is still closed (until the 13th) so we have slowed down to arrive in New Orleans the 14th...Doug's Hacienda, Marina and Restaurant the 17th, Lake Arthur and then Pleasure Island/Spring Fling. Well....that's the plan.

Kev, better late than never! When you arrive, you will find me on Bakers boat (for obvious reasons).

I will be arriving from the east, so can't join the flotilla! The Harvey lock is still closed (until the 13th) so we have slowed down to arrive in New Orleans the 14th...Doug's Hacienda, Marina and Restaurant the 17th, Lake Arthur and then Pleasure Island/Spring Fling. Well....that's the plan.

Sounds good Dimer2. Have a little kink in my plans but will work it out. Crewman found out he has a doc. appt on Thursday morning so we will get a late start heading west. Hope to leave around noon. Spend night at anchorage somewhere around the Mermintau river, then arrive in Port Arthur on Friday. Had a mishap last week during a storm at Cypremort and found that my flybridge windshield was broken(high winds I guess).:banghead: Anyway have new piece of plexy cut from glass shop to install (maybe next week). Have to figure out a way to reenforce it so it can withstand the high winds. Thinking about installing some starboard in the center section to hold it in place. Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your 6 month excursion.

I plan to leave on Wednesday or Thursday with a stop in Galveston to pick up some friends. Then leaving there early Friday. I hope. LOL.

Kevin

Good Deal Kevin...Maybe we can get close enough to avoid "running into" each other, lol............love to see you on the way there!

Kevin

Dimer, there is a good chance we may meet y'all in Lake Arthur. But we are just gonna play it by ear. I have been fighting a hot port engine that is driving me crazy. I honestly do not believe it is hot because I have shot it with an IR/laser gizmo and it says 188....a tad warmer than I like but well within spec...and that is running up on plane at 2400rpm and 17 knots....same engines as you. But the gauge says 200. I have a really hard time staring at a gauge that says HOT! Had it been like that the entire time I may have got used to it. But it has been a steady creep. Anyway, I really really want to get that squared away once and for all before taking off. I have been dealing with this for almost a year....and it keeps creeping. My next step is a mechanical gauge at the send unit port. That and the Heat exchanger and the exhaust elbow are the ONLY things that have not been ruled out. Everything else in the cooling system has been checked and rechecked. And in the end, according to the IR gun, it ain't hot. DAMMIT!!!!

Baker, I had something similar and took the heat exchangers to Land and Sea. They had to press the center sleeve out. I found more than a handful of impellor bits and pieces which I assume came from the PO as I change mine on schedule.

They did a three part pickle, used that special grease and it went together in about a minute. BIG difference and that was at about 1400 hrs.

As for Lake Arthur, just do your thing and if we meet up ....great otherwise see ya at Spring Fling. Are you going to the Captains briefing? If you do can you please ask for my slip assignment?

Much appreciated!

Baker, I had something similar and took the heat exchangers to Land and Sea. They had to press the center sleeve out. I found more than a handful of impellor bits and pieces which I assume came from the PO as I change mine on schedule.

They did a three part pickle, used that special grease and it went together in about a minute. BIG difference and that was at about 1400 hrs.

As for Lake Arthur, just do your thing and if we meet up ....great otherwise see ya at Spring Fling. Are you going to the Captains briefing? If you do can you please ask for my slip assignment?

Much appreciated!

When you say "heat exchanger", are you referring to aftercooler??? I was referring to the actual coolant to seawater HX...impellor bits would have to get the the aftercooler and the trans cooler before they made it to the HX....possible but not probable....highly unlikely actually. And I had my aftercooler serviced about 10 months ago...L&S did it as well.

You can PM me if you want or maybe I can start another thread although I am very close to getting it all squared away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom