Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

City: Patterson, LA
Vessel Name: Last Tango
Vessel Model: Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
Spring Break

The Last Tango is heading south. We are already tired of yard work so we left Patterson, LA on 3/26 and are now anchored inside of Santa Rosa in Pensacola.

We intend to do a close coastal gunkholing run down the west FL coast to the Tortugas, then back up the east side to Stuart, cross the Okeechobee and back home.

We are looking forward to some new sights since our sailboat was limited for coastal exploring. (56' tall, 6.5' draft).

Hope to see some new and old friends along the way. Planning on a slow run of about 8 weeks.

Fuel was $2.39 in Biloxi. Pensacola marinas are running $3.25 plus. Quite a difference. Glad our old Perkins only burn 1 GPH each at 8 kts.

Pirates Cove still makes great cheeseburgers!
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Hi Chris it's good to hear you are out on the water, I'm envious! We did a similar trip in 2010. We couldn't make it out to the Tortugas so turned up the East coast of Fl from Marathon. You all have a great trip it's beautiful cruisin all the way! Keep us updated pls.

The pirate's Cove burgers sure are good, This old girl agrees. Look at those eyes, she rested her chin on my knee and stared at my burger, what could I do, I had to give her half.
Attached Thumbnails
Pirates Cove Begging dog.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
We are looking forward to some new sights since our sailboat was limited for coastal exploring. (56' tall, 6.5' draft).
Are you aware of several 55' bridges on the Okeechobee, and one 54' bridge near St Lucia? Also check the available draft with the COE.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I think he recently switched from sail to a trawler, so that's why he wants to cruise the Okeechobee.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #5

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Hey Tango glad to hear that you have started you adventure! Your in some beautiful country! Please keep us informed on your progression.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:38 AM   #6

Hey Steve,

On the hook in Destin. We'll see how the weather is for the Key West to Tortugas run. - our ketch thrived on Small Craft Advisories. Not so with the Last Tango. She prefers smooth. :-). - So does Eileen, the dogs, cat, and two parrots. So, since it's 6 against 1, we wait on favorable conditions for any open water passages. -- not to mention the fact that I am slower, softer and don't bounce as well as I used too. :-) - should be a nice run to Panama City Today.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Hey Steve,

On the hook in Destin. We'll see how the weather is for the Key West to Tortugas run. - our ketch thrived on Small Craft Advisories. Not so with the Last Tango. She prefers smooth. :-). - So does Eileen, the dogs, cat, and two parrots. So, since it's 6 against 1, we wait on favorable conditions for any open water passages. -- not to mention the fact that I am slower, softer and don't bounce as well as I used too. :-) - should be a nice run to Panama City Today.
If you get held up along the coast for a while, there are more great stops. Port St. Joe is next but then comes the one we fell in love with so unexpectedly and that's Apalachicola. From either there or Carabelle, you can get a shorter run across to Clearwater.

We were once held up for about a week in the same area as you. Was horrid conditions on both Florida coasts and the Gulf was 8-10' and up to 12'. But the good part is we found so much wonderful in each port that we enjoyed every day of our delay.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
What? Cover your eyes and ears WifeyB..

I opened this thread expecting to see spring break!!!! Spring Break folks....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
What? Cover your eyes and ears WifeyB..

I opened this thread expecting to see spring break!!!! Spring Break folks....
Wifey B: You mean like wild debauchery on the beach?

Ok, here's one of the coolest spring break things ever...

Watch a Hotel of Spring Breakers Wake Up to 'Circle of Life' - ABC News
Old 04-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You mean like wild debauchery on the beach?
Well.............
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Don't look like any spring break function I ever saw.....especially when living on my sailboat in Ft Lauderdale.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don't look like any spring break function I ever saw.....especially when living on my sailboat in Ft Lauderdale.
Wifey B: Well, there are other Panama City videos that show a very different side. I never did spring break. Neither did hubby.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Neither did I...just an older working stiff watching the kids having...well mostly fun...

Did appreciate the scenery though.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #14

We are in Appalachicola now. I really like this town. Carabelle also. Not much has changed which is a good thing. A few more touristy places. Renaissance stuff. I used to tuck in here, Carabelle or Pt. St. Joe if I had too short a window to make the straight shot to / from Tampa or the keys. I remember when the phone booth was the police station in Carabelle. I guess it's still there. :-)

These are great weather holes. I haven't been anywhere in the bend between Tarpon and Carabelle. Have you ever been into St. Marks, Steinhatchee or Cedar Keys?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
. Have you ever been into St. Marks, Steinhatchee or Cedar Keys?
No, we haven't. Those areas are generally a bit shallow for us.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #16
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We have been into Steinhatchee, Cedar Keys, and Crystal River Crystal River was our favorite. They are all a pretty long haul off of the crossing route. We were in our Camano at that time, 2007, draft 3'6" the channels were well marked and we had plenty of water,that may have changed due to storms etc check Active Captain site. The channels are good but don't cut any corners it is shallow out side of them for a long way out. There is no marina in Cedar Keys for boats like ours nor a well protected anchorage in my opinion. Steinhatchee has marinas Cedar Keys also plus good anchorage spots.
If you are interseted in that sort of thing ( I am) check out the old cemetery in Apalachicola very interesting not a far walk from the water front. Apalachicola is one of our favorites along with Tarpon Springs.
Have a great trip!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
We are in Appalachicola now. I really like this town. Carabelle also. Not much has changed which is a good thing. A few more touristy places. Renaissance stuff. I used to tuck in here, Carabelle or Pt. St. Joe if I had too short a window to make the straight shot to / from Tampa or the keys. I remember when the phone booth was the police station in Carabelle. I guess it's still there. :-)

These are great weather holes. I haven't been anywhere in the bend between Tarpon and Carabelle. Have you ever been into St. Marks, Steinhatchee or Cedar Keys?
I have been into Steinhatchee, Cedar Key, and Crystal River. Steinhatchee has a well marked but narrow channel going in. Cedar Key is a little different story. Don't even think about the Northwest Channel. Take the main ship channel. Don't be fooled by the markers at the near S turn. You really do have to bend around. Crystal River has a pretty good channel that has a bend in it. The only shallow spot I have seen there is near the bend. Just be careful, and you should not have a problem. As you cruise offshore in that area you will be seeing the bottom all day. 9 to 10' of depth is considered "pretty good water" there.

John here on TF is up in St. Marks. Maybe he will pick up on it.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #18

Thanks for the good local info folks. Looks like another day of exploration in Apalachicola. Thats a good thing.

Provisioned, fueled, watered, ready to go soon as we have a good window.

And Steve, the cemetery is on our visit list. We love old cemeteries.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #19

Reports of low water from Steinhatchee and Cedar Key due to north and east winds lead to the decision to head to Tarpon.

Wx was forecast L&V with a 2' head swell.

Departed 1500 for a daylight arrival.

All was great until 0130 when the port shaft decided it didn't want to be part of the system. - the velvet drive transmission has a nut that holds the mating flange in place. No pin just torqued to 225 ft lbs. It fell off.

Too hazardous to inspect from under. Stbd thrust had the port prop pinned against the rudder but I had about 10 degrees of helm. So I secured the shaft in place, altered course for Clearwater. Much easier than getting up the Anclote River plus more chance of transmission help.

Arriving at the CW seabuoy, dropped the hook and went under to check. Pushed the shaft back up to the engine, secured and made harbor.

Parts arrive tomorrow. - need a pin in that nut!

God is good.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #20

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Sorry to hear about that port shaft taking a break! Glad to hear parts are on the way and will not delay you guys too much. Are you heading down to Tarpon Springs by chance after your repairs. Love that town! Thanks for posting up-dates. Hopefully I'll be doing the same route as you in 2 months from LA.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote