Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Seabrook/Kemah Happy Hour

Michelle and I are visiting Kemah to get the boat hauled for new bottom paint and to get the generator reinstalled. We are at the Seabrook Marina. Any TF members interested in getting together for a happy hour or a meal and to swap tall stories?

Blue and Michelle
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Blue- how long you guys gonna be in town? Wish we were heading that way. It's a beautiful area. Enjoy!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Steve! Well we had planned for a month but initial enquiries on getting some canvas work done, indicates maybe two. It's that time of year I guess. So far we are enjoying the heck out of all the restaurants in the area and our new dink arrives today, so intend to do a little fishing. If we are going to be stuck, I can think of worse places!

Are you back from your travels?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Who is doing your canvas work? Based on our recent experience, quotes of delivery dates can be wildly optimistic. You may be in our area longer than you think.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
BTW, we're at Lakewood. We'll give a shout next time we will be there.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Well we missed each other by...well a lot. We were there in November. Made a run across the middle of the gulf to Key West and kept heading north.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
Well we missed each other by...well a lot. We were there in November. Made a run across the middle of the gulf to Key West and kept heading north.

You ran all the way across from Galveston to Key West? How was that?

I told myself I would never make that ICW run from Louisiana to Galveston again. However, not sure I have the balls (or the boat) to make a 750 mile run. Would need a little extra fuel, and some paravanes, to make it happen.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
You ran all the way across from Galveston to Key West? How was that?

I told myself I would never make that ICW run from Louisiana to Galveston again. However, not sure I have the balls (or the boat) to make a 750 mile run. Would need a little extra fuel, and some paravanes, to make it happen.
It was a great run! We did it in 4.5 days and we never had waves over 2 or 3 ft. What more could I ask for from a weather window? Coming out of Galveston Bay we followed the shipping corridor SE into the gulf. When that ended (it ends on another corridor running E/W) we made for the NW tip of Key West. This way we easily avoided most of the oil rigs. Also there was four of us which made the multiple overnights easy to do with just 3 hour shifts at the helm.

That first beer (or 8) sure were good when we got there
Old 08-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Drake, North is the only one been by so far. Plan on trying a few more. Do you have any recommendations? Look forward to your next trip down.

No mast, yep sure did "just" miss you. I could have bumped it up a knot or two if I had of know We are headed your way when we get done here. Leave a few cold ones for us!

Cardude....I agree, everyone should do the GICW.....ONCE!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #10

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I'm at Seabrook Marina too. Just beginning to get familiar with our new to us boat. We're on B dock in a covered slip. Might see you around this weekend.

Kevin
M/V Islander
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Dimer2

I am at Blue Dolphin next to Lakewood. Me or my friends have used most of the canvass folks here abouts They promise an agressive schedule but it doesn't come out that way. Last year I had my Bimini/curtains and sundeck curtains done. Contracted the guy in July and he finished in December. The usual is half down and they buy all the material and cut it out. The sewing seems to be the biggest problem. I think the trade is filled with recovering addicts. Here is what I found that works. Put in in you agreement that you will pay extra if the job is complete by your need date. They still might not make it but then it costs you nothing. My job was stalled and the canvass guy kept telling me about his seamstress problems. when I told the canvas guy I would give him an extra $500 to have it done by the week end or he was fired it worked. The moral of the story is put an incentive or consequence in your agreement. Good luck.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #12
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallswede View Post
I'm at Seabrook Marina too. Just beginning to get familiar with our new to us boat. We're on B dock in a covered slip. Might see you around this weekend.

Kevin
M/V Islander
We're at Waterford. Every summer we think about going to a covered slip. Do you mind if I ask the price? Is it a floating dock? We looked at Blue Dolphin but didn't like the fixed docks.

Thanks,

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Seabrook/Kemah Happy Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
It was a great run! We did it in 4.5 days and we never had waves over 2 or 3 ft. What more could I ask for from a weather window? Coming out of Galveston Bay we followed the shipping corridor SE into the gulf. When that ended (it ends on another corridor running E/W) we made for the NW tip of Key West. This way we easily avoided most of the oil rigs. Also there was four of us which made the multiple overnights easy to do with just 3 hour shifts at the helm.

That first beer (or 8) sure were good when we got there

Having 3-4 sounds like a good plan. I'll have to get some paravanes and a carry a little extra fuel to make it, and it will take me over 5 days, but on the surface that sounds better than my three week tour of the ICW (unless I hit bad weather-- then that long crossing would suck).

The Florida, AL, MS part of the ICW wasn't bad, but all the barges and locks in LA and TX were a pain. Interesting, but not sure I want to do it again.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #14
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
We're at Waterford. Every summer we think about going to a covered slip. Do you mind if I ask the price? Is it a floating dock? We looked at Blue Dolphin but didn't like the fixed docks.

Thanks,

Bob
The only floating covered slips in this area is Seabrook Shipyard. And they aren't cheap at around $750 a month. I think they are all basically the same size...or two sizes. There are not a variety of sizes on that one dock. blue Dolphin will run you around $450 for a 45ish foot slip. I am going on bad memory there.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #15

Blue, we might be doing a happy hour at my house on Friday...I will let you know if it comes together. And hit me up if you don't hear from me by Thursday.

Also the regular deals around the lake:
Tuesdays is $2 fish taco night at Outriggers
Wednesday is steak night at Turtle Club. You have to order early in the day and you cook your own steak and they provide the trimmings. Usually around $8 for a decent Ribeye(or steak of chicken or shrimp of your choice) and all the trimmings. So while you cook it...it isn't a bad deal
Thursdays: Pork Chop Night at Turtle club. A fat pork chop with all the trimmings for about $8 and they cook it for you. I will challenge you that this will likely be the best pork chop you have ever had. Not to be missed.
Also on Thursday: steak night at Cabo. I honestly cannot comment because I have not been. But I have been meaning to go.

All of these establishments can be reached by boat and have docks big enough to accommodate your boat. Coming by dinghy is obviously easier. Sam's boat has daily specials and decent food but their docks suck for a big boat. Dinghy would be better.

Keep in touch and hit me up!!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

John, thanks for taking the time to write that up! Pick up the dinghy tomorrow so I will definitely try your suggestions. Thanks again
Blue
Old 08-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Hi Steve! Well we had planned for a month but initial enquiries on getting some canvas work done, indicates maybe two. It's that time of year I guess. So far we are enjoying the heck out of all the restaurants in the area and our new dink arrives today, so intend to do a little fishing. If we are going to be stuck, I can think of worse places!

Are you back from your travels?

Blue- yes am done for a while I hope. U getting your dink from Triad? What are you purchasing??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

A mate just purchased a 55' Hatteras which came with a 13 ft Boston Whaler so he sold me his 11 ft Sport
Old 08-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
Guru

Dimer - we're leaving the NY area in about 2 months headed for Charleston and maybe a Caribbean hop. Stay in touch and we may meet up along the way.

cardude - the weather and us headed in the same direction, so we enjoyed each other company for the trip.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #20

Blue, check your PM.