Offats Bayou

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Any problems entering? Looking at the chart there isn't a clear "white" channel.

Looking for a spot to anchor tonight around Galveston. Seems like winds might kick up to 17mph tonight so I want to be protected. Is this a good spot?

It has been many years since I anchored in Offats Bayou, but it is a great spot. It has been too long to tell you anything about markers, but once inside stay at least 100' off of the north shore and don't turn south until past R28.

I have anchored both near Moody Gardens as well as up near 61st street where it is quite protected, except from jet skis ;-).

David

They just completed the makeover of the park where Offats Bayou meets 61st St.
You can anchor anywhere in there--might be able to tie to the dock if you want but people fish there.

Channel is well marked-STAY IN IT--just a few feet outside of it can put you aground on sand or oyster reef.

Awesome. Thanks.

I would have liked to run my small boat down there or invite you to go drink a beer BUT....

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow and I'm in the middle of the "prep" ...I wouldn't be much fun.

Greetings,
Mr. kt. Shouldn't that information be posted in the "Head cleaning" thread? Just sayin'....

getting_paid_to_poop_at_work-6298.gif

Well, it could have gone in the "Off Topics Forum" or possible in the "Cruising and Events" section or, better yet...it might have been too much information.:flowers:

It will flatten out once you get behind those little, flat sandy islands. Smooth most of the rest of the way

Not sure I'm in the right spot but it's really nice out here. There was a sailboat in front of Moody Gardens so I moved over in front of some houses.
IMG_9575.jpg
IMG_9576.jpg

Attachments

• Image1490571487.084686.jpg
    Image1490571487.084686.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
These Galveston folks are not shy about zipping by my anchored Zen zone in their loud ass boats. Curmudgeon alert!

Ahh. I understand.

This is really a special place. So cool at night looking at all the lights and buildings of Galveston all around me.

Offats is one of our favorite places to anchor. During the summer, Moody Gardens has a fireworks show every weekend. Number 13 restaurant at Pelican Rest Marina is very good, although pricey. You can take the dinghy to the dock at Moody Gardens and eat at any of their restaurants.

The jet ski traffic can be a PITA during the weekends, but it's usually quiet during the week.

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom