Old 08-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #1

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Now That I Have " LEARNED MY BOAT"

Bought a boat a few years ago from a Cajun man way down DA bayou pass Dulac, yes there is land pass Dulac. When I went to pick up the boat he told me "Boy you have a good one here; you just have to go home and LEANED your BOAT". Now, when something happens to someone's boat, we always say "if you would have LEARNED YOUR BOAT that would not have happened."

Now that I have LEARNED MY BOAT, I hope, it is time to go. We are planning to leave Madisonville, La. on Sept. 10 headed up to Knoxville for the fall foliage. Thanks to all that have helped us get this far in our boating life.

kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Kartracer, congrats on learning your boat. Except you ain't done yet. I'm off the opinion that one never truly learns their boat unless they're the one who built it. That being said, have a great time on your trip.

I looked up Dulac and realized I've been there. In 1969 I was stationed at Biloxi. Three of us drove from there to Dulac and camped on the grass outside a small gas station/grocery store/bar to go duck hunting. The Cajun guy who owned the bar let us stay there and let us use a couple of small duck boats that people from New Orleans had stored at his place. Great experience and almost 50 years later I still remember it in great detail.

Didn't get any ducks but did bag one Nutria who wanted to occupy the same tiny island I was on. IMHO the island was too small for both of us. I had the gun so I won.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
...Didn't get any ducks but did bag one Nutria who wanted to occupy the same tiny island I was on. IMHO the island was too small for both of us. I had the gun so I won.
Disgraceful.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Disgraceful.
Or even disgusting.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Disgraceful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Or even disgusting.

L

Not necessarily! Should have shot more.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...na-swamps-spd/
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Disgraceful.
You have obviously never met a nutria.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
I have some coming to my garden and we love it, but I am living in Canada, we are peaceful people who are known for hospitality

L
Old 08-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I have some coming to my garden and we love it, but I am living in Canada, we are peaceful people who are known for hospitality

L
WOW, those things have reached Canada! I thought they would not be able to survive in colder climates. This much I know, I would never provide one with hospitality. Over grown rats! And you welcome them in your garden???
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
WOW, those things have reached Canada! I thought they would not be able to survive in colder climates. This much I know, I would never provide one with hospitality. Over grown rats! And you welcome them in your garden???
Well rodent, myocastor, otter, beaver, muskrat are all more or less the same.
Yes I welcome them in my garden and can see some everyday in the nearby river, funny pet when they are playing and eating in the grass. We have a lot of funny friend coming to visit us, from squirrel to otter, skunk lot of different birds etc etc Never had any trouble with any of them.
Except digging a hole as a house they are not doing much damage, at least less then the surrounding humans with their noise and pollution.

L
Old 08-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 CMY
"Yes I welcome them in my garden and can see some everyday in the nearby river, funny pet when they are playing and eating in the grass."
Cute, but an invasive and destructive species. Not sure what indigenous species they may be competing with in your area. They are environmentally destructive as well as destructive to dykes and embankments, etc.
Edit; They are edible, however, should you decide to control your local population. http://www.nutria.com/site22.php
Old 08-25-2018, 01:57 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
I`ve not met GFC either but I`m reasonably sure, based on this event, the nutria would be better company.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #12
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
Kartracer, I promise I won't chastise you if you assist with the eradication of those giant, erosion causing rats up here on the Chesapeake. Them or any other of the invasive species here like snakeheads, zebra mussels and those damn spiny catfish.
All you want for free. And we won't make you camp out on the grass!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #13
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I'm not about to pop the nutria's cousin, the groundhog that been devastating our garden, he's just too damn cute. But I can understand why other people would. The nutrias seem to be a problem in some places.

Dave Attell, on his show "Insomniac", went nutria hunting in New Orleans with the deputies. Gotta say, it was entertaining.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #14

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
We have so many down this way and doing so much damage to levees and other property the state pays 5 dollars per tail and come pick them up once a month
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I applaud those that hunt nutria. Like many other species that have lost natural predators, they have become an environmental problem. However, to be honest Iím not even sure where the nutria came from. They may have been an import that didnít have natural predators.

There are a lot of wildlife that need to be controlled in different parts fo the country. In some areas it is wild hogs. In my area Iíd love to reduce the number of Canadian Geese that have decided that flying back North for the summer season is just for suckers.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #16

City: Toronto ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
In my area Iíd love to reduce the number of Canadian Geese that have decided that flying back North for the summer season is just for suckers.

Don't feel bad, there's thousands of 'em that don't fly SOUTH in the winter either...

How do we cull this herd of humans that keep feeding their large poop backsides?

RB
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 CMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I applaud those that hunt nutria. Like many other species that have lost natural predators, they have become an environmental problem. However, to be honest Iím not even sure where the nutria came from. They may have been an import that didnít have natural predators.

There are a lot of wildlife that need to be controlled in different parts fo the country. In some areas it is wild hogs. In my area Iíd love to reduce the number of Canadian Geese that have decided that flying back North for the summer season is just for suckers.
They came in the 1930's, from South America. They were brought over for starting fur farms as I understand it.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #18
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
I`ve not met GFC either but I`m reasonably sure, based on this event, the nutria would be better company.
Iíve met GFC; shook his hand. Good guy! Nutria, not so much. Nutria is an invasive species and is causing billions of dollars of damage to water ways, levees, and native species. A real problem. Bruce, Iíve never met you. However, I kind of ďknowĒ you through the years of interaction on these forums. I look forward to shaking your hand one day. Nutria, not so much!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #19

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatfever View Post
They came in the 1930's, from South America. They were brought over for starting fur farms as I understand it.
McILHenney , of Tabasco fame, introduced them in South Louisiana in his fur farm. Escapes during hurricanes opened the door to infestation throughout our coastal marshes . These rodents are responsible for much marsh and land lost. Even the alligators don't care for them much. During gator season many trappers use nutria as hanging bait. However, the gators prefer store bought chicken quarters left outside for a few days.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #20

City: SchoolHouse Branch
The only good nutria …

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/di...-the-pavement/

Boat is offline   Reply With Quote