Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: louisiana
Country: usa
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 207
Italian restaurants in Houston?

Looking for the best Italian food in Houston. I figured this would be a good place to ask. So far, DaMarco is at the top of my list but, although I am a creature of habit, I would like to get some other options. Most nights we would be dressed for the opera so Olive Garden would be out. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

BTW... Dimer2...if you are viewing this...let me know when you and Michelle are going to be at Lake Arthur...I would certainly like to treat you for dinner.

Thanks,

Robin
__________________
Advertisement

rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Looking for the best Italian food in Houston. I figured this would be a good place to ask. So far, DaMarco is at the top of my list but, although I am a creature of habit, I would like to get some other options. Most nights we would be dressed for the opera so Olive Garden would be out. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

BTW... Dimer2...if you are viewing this...let me know when you and Michelle are going to be at Lake Arthur...I would certainly like to treat you for dinner.

Thanks,

Robin
While Birraporettis's (sp) is not the best Italian food, it's only two blocks from the Opera House, and on opera nights, many there, both before and after the performance, will be dressed for the opera.

Look at Zagat's. There are several places close in on Westheimer that are good. Hard to beat DaMarco's.
__________________

Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
Member
 
City: Sugar Land, TX
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
If you're out on the south west side of Houston (Sugar Land / Richmond), try Nick's. Awesome food. But beware of Nick, the owner. A lot of folks really like him, however, he can be a bit rude, kind of like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi. But, the food is totally worth it.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
obthomas's Avatar
 
City: Seabrook Texas
Country: USA
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 462
If you come in by boat to the Clear Lake area there is Villa Capri on NASA road 1 that is outstanding.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
TF Site Team
 
dimer2's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,192
Yes sir, I haven't been for about a year but my favorite has always been the original Carrabba's on Kirby. When Johnny and his mother sold the rights to Carrabbas, they each kept one restaurant, one on Kirby and one on Voss. (there are now three new Carrabbas on Kirby alone but only one is still run by the family).


Carrabbas


We are leaving next Monday, spending the night in Lake Charles, then Tuesday and possibly Wednesday in Lake Arthur. I will PM you when I am on the way!


Thanks for the great visit the other day!
__________________
No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: kemah
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
If you come in by boat to the Clear Lake area there is Villa Capri on NASA road 1 that is outstanding.
Hopefuly not today though. The windshift pulled 5' of water out of here.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,630
Frenchy's in Clear Lake. Also DeBellas in Galveston. I will agree with the Carrabas rec as well. I gotta go do something....been awhile since I lived up in Houston but let me think....

Grotto is a good one as well. I think it might have got sucked up by Landry's Corp. but I hear it is still good. Same area as where you will be.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,783
Tony's

Menus | Tony's

Be dre$$ed for $ucce$$
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,165
4 hungry/thirsty folks could spend a BoatBuck at Tony's pretty easily.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,630
Here you go:
Rest of the Best 2014: Houston's Top 10 Italian Restaurants | Houston Press

Both Da Marco and Tony's made the list. I can't believe I forgot about Tony's. Grotto was a Vallone invention as was La Griglia. Both now run by Landry's. And both still considered decent.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #11
Guru
 
Drake's Avatar
 
City: Seabrook, Texas
Country: Independent Republic of Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 506
Nino's on West Dallas.

No contest.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
City: louisiana
Country: usa
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 207
Thanks all who replied. Tony's has been on our hit list for a while but they start seating at 6pm on Saturdays and the opera starts at 7:30. It makes it tight to get to our box on time and not rush the meal. That said...it might be worth being a touch late as I have heard the food is outstanding. I have been to Nino's and we really enjoyed it also; forgot about that one, thanks. Next weekend we'll be in Hou Friday through Sunday so dinner on fri at Tony's will be possible.

Paul, I'll call you Saturday to confirm about Sunday.

Hope everyone has a great day!
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Thanks all who replied. Tony's has been on our hit list for a while but they start seating at 6pm on Saturdays and the opera starts at 7:30. It makes it tight to get to our box on time and not rush the meal. That said...it might be worth being a touch late as I have heard the food is outstanding. I have been to Nino's and we really enjoyed it also; forgot about that one, thanks. Next weekend we'll be in Hou Friday through Sunday so dinner on fri at Tony's will be possible.

Paul, I'll call you Saturday to confirm about Sunday.

Hope everyone has a great day!
No late seating at the opera. I would want to have the bill paid at Tony's (or most anywhere else) by 7:00 to be sure of being in my seat by 7:30. And one hour is not enough at Tony's.

This is why Birraporetti's is popular. They're pretty quick, as they know everyone there is going to an event; you're already parked, it's a five minute walk to any of the venues; you're not looking at your watch the whole meal.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,783
Anybody tried the new "Tony's Lite", Ciao Bella or whatever it's called?
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
City: louisiana
Country: usa
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
No late seating at the opera. I would want to have the bill paid at Tony's (or most anywhere else) by 7:00 to be sure of being in my seat by 7:30. And one hour is not enough at Tony's.
That's what has kept us from booking at Tony'd before the opera although I will often eat at Pappa's Bros and make it on time as I have Valet service at the theater and with box seats I can be late and not distrub anyone (although that is not anything I pland on doing intentionally). Next Friday Id will not be encumbered by time so we will definitely book there. We will have to try BP's also.
__________________

rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012