A fleet of tugs.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You missed the point..flat black paint (as required by the USCG) to keep reflected light down and avoid confusing the required light sectors...
Al, I believe psneed is correct on this issue.

My Coot has blackboards, as required.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #24
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
convoy of tugs?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
From this point of view Mark your railings look great.

I'm making a set of white boards as the white will be lit up by the red or green light and be much easier to see and identify the color. I don't see how much confusion of light sectors could be made. Would be the same from head on. Perhaps more color would show on the quarter beam aft.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
They're great from any perspective!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
You missed the point..flat black paint (as required by the USCG) to keep reflected light down and avoid confusing the required light sectors...

On vessels of less than 20 meters in length, the sidelights, if necessary to meet the requirements of 84.17, shall be fitted with mat black inboard screens.

Scott, when you say black is "required", you are stating that this is required to "meet the requirements of 84.17[/B]" on this vessel. Have you determined this as fact? If this is required on this vessel to comply with the Navrules, you are right.

I offer that it may not be a requirement to meet the horizontal sector intensity and cutoff requirements of 84.17[/B] on this vessel. If this is not a requirement to meet the requirements of 84.17[/B], the conditional requirements of this Navrule do not apply. One must know the requirements of this vessel before categorically stating that this rule requires mat black inboard screens.

I have seen many Grand Banks under 20m with red/greed sideboards to emphasize the color of the sidelights. Although I have never evaluated their sidelight coverage, I suspect their lighting does not require the black side boards to meet the requirements of 84.17[/B] and therefore, colored sideboards or no sideboards are permitted.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

I'm making a set of white boards as the white will be lit up by the red or green light and be much easier to see and identify the color. I don't see how much confusion of light sectors could be made. Would be the same from head on. Perhaps more color would show on the quarter beam aft.
Illegal.....reflections change the angles of visibility...hope you never have to explain your "thinking" versus the USCG's "thinking" in a martime hearing...

Even glossy varnished boards are incorrect but certainly less of an issue...one can argue that the colors reflecting on white glossy fiberglass/painted boat sides would be the same and you would be correct...but if that ever created confusion to another boater and an incident occurred, you would be partially at fault.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Scott, when you say black is "required", you are stating that this is required to "meet the requirements of 84.17[/B]" on this vessel. Have you determined this as fact? If this is required on this vessel to comply with the Navrules, you are right.

I offer that it may not be a requirement to meet the horizontal sector intensity and cutoff requirements of 84.17[/B] on this vessel. If this is not a requirement to meet the requirements of 84.17[/B], the conditional requirements of this Navrule do not apply. One must know the requirements of this vessel before categorically stating that this rule requires mat black inboard screens.

I have seen many Grand Banks under 20m with red/greed sideboards to emphasize the color of the sidelights. Although I have never evaluated their sidelight coverage, I suspect their lighting does not require the black side boards to meet the requirements of 84.17[/B] and therefore, colored sideboards or no sideboards are permitted.
See above post too.....bottom line is that the light sectors are not to be confusing....the USCG just says that if you HAVE light boards....they are to be flat black to prevent reflections and yes all the pretty varnished ones under the lights could be determined to be incorrect....but like most rec boats, we get away with a lot as not being inspected.

As to red/green....out tugboat cappy got cute and painted the ones on the tug red/green...I told him, but he wasn't convinced of the "required" and "did it really matter?"stuff...but sure enough when the tug went to get inspected the examiner said to flat back them.

Also if you go back to the early 2000's maybe, the USCG put out a safety notice that said many manufacturers were not installing lights correctly on vessels and the visibility arcs were incorrect. They went on to say it's the operators responsibility to ensure they are correct and the manufacturer isn't held solely to blame.

I had noticed the vast majority of little center consoles/bowriders/runabouts being pumped out back in the 90's had really poorly installed lights...I tried to pass that word up the chain of command and even laterally to whomever would listen in the USCG...but as usual...it took a fatal accident to get the ball rolling and many years later the safety memo finally came out.

So yes...like not flying an anchor ball, not watching your wake all the time, not using proper whistle(radio whistle) signals all the time, etc..etc...anything but flat black light screens are not correct....but getting hasseled over them in a lifetime of boating may never happen.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #30
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Back to the OP question.
"Flotilla of Tugs" is the obvious. In light of the odd words coined for aggregations, eg. "a murder of crows", how about a "pull of tugs"?
Wouldn't "fleet" be appropriate?

I saw the latest 31' Ranger Tug at a boat show recently. It has a fold down flybridge for trailering (and I suppose low clearance bridges on the water). It's a really nice boat but costs $350K +.

And you would need a serious truck to tow it with and permits for towing a ten foot beam.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. W. See post #22.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #32
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Wouldn't "fleet" be appropriate?
You could have a fleet of anything even bakery trucks, but it would be only a tow of tugs. That's like maybe a gaggle of geese----not a flock.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
....bottom line is that the light sectors are not to be confusing....the USCG just says that if you HAVE light boards....they are to be flat black to prevent reflections...
Show me the regulation that says this.

The reg cited states that IF the boards are required for sector definition, they must be black. Not all boats require boards for sector definition and the regs do not prohibit their installation on boats not requiring them. On those boats not required to have boards by the Navrules, light board may or may not be installed and their color is not addressed by the Navrules.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Show me the regulation that says this.

The reg cited states that IF the boards are required for sector definition, they must be black. Not all boats require boards for sector definition and the regs do not prohibit their installation on boats not requiring them. On those boats not required to have boards by the Navrules, light board may or may not be installed and their color is not addressed by the Navrules.
OK......whatever you think...

For others, if in doubt call a USCG MATRINE INSPECTOR...not just anyone.

PS....
I just got off he phone with Marine Inspection Office Houston, TX and the inspector said no matter WHAT vessel has light boards, if installed, should be painted matt black. It's the INTENT of the reduction of glare that's important...not just the LACK of the way it's stated in the CFRs and NAVRULES.

Now if you want nicely varnished light boards with your name on them...hey I like them and the glare isn't too much...but the Ranger tugs and their cheap plastic...HIGHLY STUPID red/green light bards still bug me....
Old 02-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
You could have a fleet of anything even bakery trucks, but it would be only a tow of tugs. That's like maybe a gaggle of geese----not a flock.
Agree. The geese should have a contrast background not affecting light/color emission.
"A crust of bakery trucks"?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Gaggle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mr. M. Agreed, could be a fleet of trucks but like herd (of cows, sheep or goats), fleet can describe several items. So far I've been unable to find a specific collective noun for tugs. A general term for ships (fleet, armada, flotilla) that's about as specific as it gets. Could be a tow of tugs...
Along the same lines as what a tug does to describe a group, other options might be...drag, draw, haul, strain, toil, yank or heave of tugs....
Old 02-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #37
Guru

maybe someone should post the question here....

A Site About Tugboats
Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #38
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Seems it would be a fleet of tugs, that's what the tow boat companies here call them. The Ranger company seems to be one of the manufacturers of cruising boats that is doing well. I see quite a few of them along the Gulf Coast. I have been on one for drinks it was nice, although I did find the engine compartment very crowded.
Good luck to them!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #39
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
.........................but the Ranger tugs and their cheap plastic...HIGHLY STUPID red/green light bards still bug me....
Why not contact them and ask them why they are producing illegally equipped boats?

They might thank you for pointing out their mistake before they get involved in a lawsuit.

Or they might not.............
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #40
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

Why not contact them and ask them why they are producing illegally equipped boats?

They might thank you for pointing out their mistake before they get involved in a lawsuit.

Or they might not.............
Maybe they haven't got the 72 COLREGS yet. That is when the matte black screens were decided upon. If your boat was built before July '77, when 72 COLREGS went into effect, thry may even be grandfathered.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote