Heading for the Keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many of us have been in the same boat. I chartered a catamaran sail boat to take from Ft Lauderdale to Key Biscayne. Wife and 3 girls on this trip. I have the whole trip planned out......ICW the whole way. Get to the charter place and they laugh at my plan and tell me it would be so much easier to go outside at port everglades all the way down to Government cut and that it will be rough the first mile but even out. In my newbieness, I concede. Outside we go. Before we get outside of the inlet, we have taken water over the bow twice....No problem as the charter co said it would be a little rough. We continue...no relief. The 30 mile trip is so bad, it takes us 6.5 hrs, all the girls were on deck with their heads in their hands about to loose it....Coast guard heli hovers above us as I think they were getting a kick out of seeing all of the girls with their heads overboard..... At the end of the outside trip, wife says NEVER again! I look and she has a white place where her head was leaning against her arm and the rest of her arm is burnt to a crisp. On the return trip took the inside and waited on bridge openings..... was one of the best days cruising we ever had.

Wife still says no to blue water cruising... so we stick to the ICW when we go and once it comes time to make the crossing to the Bahamas, I will fly her over and meet her there :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom