Old 06-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #41
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Dude you did ok, just sell the rest of the family on the fact that it was a learning experience for everyone. Everyone got home safe, and knows what they like and they don't like. Add up all the things you all like and do more of that. Add up all the things you all don't like and do less of those. None of us came into this experienced and expert, and any one on here who says or thinks they know it all is untruthful. I admire your ability to be honest with yourself and learn as much as you can from this initial experience.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
quote:
2. Had to replace the alternator belt on that long crossing. Charge light came on about half way. Hated to turn engine off but did and found newly installed (by a "pro") alt belt was too long I guess and flopping around. Was tightened all it would go. Had a spare that was correct length and got it on pretty quickly-- luckily it was very calm.

I keep some leather link belt onboard . It comes in a roll and you can make a belt the length you want . It's handy especially if one of the belts behind other belts breaks . You can install it without having to take off the other belts .

Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #43

City: South Florida
There are several boatyards on Salt Creek in St Pete that could rig your boat. Sailors Wharf probably the best suited. If you're looking for a steadying sail rig and not to turn your boat into a motor sailor a much smaller rig than 40 ft will do the job. You'll have to mess around with some drawings to determine if it will "look" right.

Steadying sail like on traditional trawlers, will keep you slightly heeled with much less rocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Where would one get this done?

Boat is in Palmetto Florida right now.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #44
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Pretty much a steadying sail is what I would be looking for, but the thought of a "get home" sail has always intrigued me.

The less complex the better IMO, and a steppable mast would seem to be a good idea.

I often wonder if a boomless sail like Mark has on his Coot along with a jib would function as both a steadying sail and a get home rig.

Thanks for the rec on Sailor's Wharf. I will give them a call. Maybe they will go to Palmetto and give me some ideas. I'm back in Texas now.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #45
Guru

Here are some drawings that were done with a 30' and a 40' mast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435496500.202446.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	41488
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435496513.154412.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	41489
Old 06-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #46
Guru

City: gulf coast
IMO you should not change your boat. Change you cruising pattern. As often said a schedule is the worst thing one can have on a boat. Spend extra time wherever you wind up waiting for favorable weather. New cruisers often plan to go too far too fast. You bought a trawler with the intention of going slow.

Every new boater I have ever met had overly ambitios trips planned. For some reason the far away place is viewed as more attractive than the closer place. The secret of boat cruising is that because you donmt have a car you are forced to spend your time in walkable distance exploring and getting to know things you would miss in a car. In a car you just zip past.

Distant locations can indeed be the goal but they are best achieved by small hops in good weather. As an example we spent five weeks exploring from St. Pete through the keys to Lauderdale and back. we stayed as long as we enjoyed where we were and never left in unsettled weather.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #47
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Don't beat yourself up too much. A lot of very experienced boaters make that same mistake.

Agree. Very useful to have done an after-action analysis in the first place. Next most useful is to learn from that.

Probably also useful to share that -- or do a joint after-action -- with family and crew -- to see if you have general agreement, to see if you've missed anything, and to see if your thoughts on future mitigation are generally acceptable.

Bayview said don't modify the boat; I agree. Save that for later, should it really become necessary. In the meantime, modify your behavior. That's cheap.

-Chris
Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #48
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
"Bayview said don't modify the boat; I agree. Save that for later, should it really become necessary. In the meantime, modify your behavior. That's cheap. "

+1
Old 06-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
If you have Gents' the information in Tricks is in it. It's just scattered throughout. I prefer it in one volume with chapters for each topic. That's why I have it. Don't buy the First Edition/First Printing as it has a page that is backwards. They fixed that in the second printing I imagine.
Thanks, Janice. I didn't know about the Tricks book. My Gents book is from my sailing days, and, as you say, is really more about island hopping. But scattered throughout are nuggets of pure gold, so if they have been pulled together that is nice to know.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #50

Those drawings show the boom way too high in my opinion, no reason for more than a foot clearance from the house roof. And yes, the cut of the Main can be made so it can be flown boomless. Also looks like a boomed self tending jib, no at all necessary considering that for steading you don't need a jib, and would only use it as emergency get home.
If you maintain your engine and give it clean airless fuel that jib will never come out of the bag.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #51
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Personally I think you're making this far to complicated to fast.
Slow way down and live with the boat at least a year before you make a decision like this. My bet is a year from now you won't need or want it.
As to the "get home" you're a coastal guy. That's what a towing service is for.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #52
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Dude, from Fort Myers north you have some of the best cruising grounds. Marina Jacks at Sarasota should please the kids. Venice and Boca Grande will have something for all. Southseas and TweenWaters on Capiiva have it all---resort, beach, restaurants, and golf. Cabbage Key is a funky stop. Ft. Myers Beach is great with a mooring field too. The area is all pretty, protected water, and the distances are short. I forgot to mention Cayo Costa anchorage with its unbroken 7 miles of pristine beach. One of very favorite cruising areas. One of the reasons for this is that it is so easy. You have run the length of it. Now, slow down and savor it.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #53
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Keep bridges in mind when you are thinking about adding a mast. There's a whole bunch of them out there!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Keep bridges in mind when you are thinking about adding a mast. There's a whole bunch of them out there!

This is so true. Plus it screws up my covered slip idea.

I'm just kicking around ideas. Idle mind syndrome...
Old 06-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Personally I think you're making this far to complicated to fast.
Slow way down and live with the boat at least a year before you make a decision like this. My bet is a year from now you won't need or want it.
As to the "get home" you're a coastal guy. That's what a towing service is for.
Much wisdom here from mbevins. Maybe ask those with steadying sails how well they work and how often they use them. I see plenty of masts and very rarely a sail.

Mainships came with masts, they couldn't carry a sail but held up the steaming light nicely. I took it off, didn't like staring at it while running the boat and it fouled the foredeck and windshield eyebrow for lounging.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:

I got a quote to install a 40' mast with a full roller sail package (and chain plates and all other rigging) from the Island Packet yard but they wanted $60k. I kind of gulped at that price but maybe that's the going rate.
IMHO you would not get that much from it. Not to speak of the problem with bridges that others have mentioned. A sailboat has both a sail and a deep keel, and they work in tandem to steady the boat in seas which are a bit nasty. I do not think that a sail by itself would do what you want. I could be wrong, of course, and if so others will correct me. :-)

The best advice is from those who have said just chalk it up to experience and next time wait for weather.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #57
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
When Cardude was on his way back solo, I was nearly as depressed as he was about the wife and kids driving back from KW. I think this could happen to almost anyone on their maiden family voyage. It convinces me all the more how important "planning" is and how unimportant "schedule" should be. This is such a good boat the way it is right now that I have to join Bayview's camp on modifying the plan and not the boat.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #58

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Boating,cruising should have NO shelule as miles and seas change and that well planned trip goes to hell.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #59

City: Lake Lanier, GA
Vessel Name: Miller Time part deux
Vessel Model: 1995 Carver 355
Quote:
Here are some drawings that were done with a 30' and a 40' mast.

Attachment 41488
Attachment 41489

Make a modification like that and plan on sitting waiting on bridges on the ICW to open often. I agree with the previous statement, change your cruising habits, not your boat style.
n36511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #60

City: Lake Lanier, GA
Vessel Name: Miller Time part deux
Vessel Model: 1995 Carver 355
Just my $.02

n36511 is offline   Reply With Quote