Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Larry,
Stabilizers probably work best on a narrow round bilge boat. Your Manatee would probably put extreme forces on your boat wherever the stabilizers were attached. Do you know anyone w a boat similar to yours that has stabilizers? They probably will have valuable input.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
At least one KK Manatee was fitted with fin type stabilizers. The mounting angle, according to an official at Krogen, was difficult, and in operation the fins could sometimes be seen out of the water. The recently introduced model 500 Seakeeper Gyro would rest perfectly on the boxed frame that held my generator below the galley (gennie now moved to beneath the veranda), but the advertised roll resistant force sounds like more torque than I want to put on those old bones. The boat could take heavy loading at the rail, so paravanes seem to be the logical choice for this boat as it probably is for Cardude's PY Cruiser.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
At least one KK Manatee was fitted with fin type stabilizers. The mounting angle, according to an official at Krogen, was difficult, and in operation the fins could sometimes be seen out of the water. The recently introduced model 500 Seakeeper Gyro would rest perfectly on the boxed frame that held my generator below the galley (gennie now moved to beneath the veranda), but the advertised roll resistant force sounds like more torque than I want to put on those old bones. The boat could take heavy loading at the rail, so paravanes seem to be the logical choice for this boat as it probably is for Cardude's PY Cruiser.

Check with SeaKeeper. But I'd say the boat could handle the loads from a gyro just fine.

If the loads with gyros were so great that they could tear boats apart, they wouldn't be selling many and no insurance company would insure a boat with one installed.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #24

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Stop by in marathon , we have dockage if you want it. Harbor Cay Club.com
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:28 AM   #25
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Heading for the Keys

Update on the Keys trip...

Seems like my initial trip idea to the Keys with the family on the "new to us" boat was a little too ambitious.

Mistakes made:

1. First time out with the wife I should not have tried to make longish open water crossings in an unfamiliar boat that I didn't understand the ride characteristics . Seems like a no brainer now that I write this, so I can't really explain why I did it. Irrational exuberance I guess. Conditions weren't unsafe but they were uncomfortable enough for her to take a rental car back from KW. She loved the ICW part of the cruise however.

2. Use a "weather expert" when making a longish open water crossing. Reading the weather is not my strong point, so I need help putting all the variables together. I used Chris Parker when I went solo after the family left from KW to Marco Island (around 90 miles) and he recommend waiting one more day for better conditions, and it was perfect.

3. It was too crowded and complicated with the entire family for the first cruise, and the kids didn't enjoy the long days.

4. I planned too many long days of 60 plus miles. Really dumb.

5. The KW Bight marina is a rolly SOAB. That got old.

6. And the biggest rookie mistake-- I got a schedule in my head and didn't ditch it. I had reservations at KW and was determined to make it. When we hit the rougher weather in the Gulf I should have just turned around and headed back to the ICW and everything would have been fine.

I have some work ahead of me now to convince her this is not the wrong boat. Sigh.

Some small achievements:

1. Made a long (for me) open water crossing. That 90 mile crossing from KW to Marco was interesting with no cell service most of the time. Took like 13 hours. Kind of boring actually!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435382914.504796.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	41458

2. Had to replace the alternator belt on that long crossing. Charge light came on about half way. Hated to turn engine off but did and found newly installed (by a "pro") alt belt was too long I guess and flopping around. Was tightened all it would go. Had a spare that was correct length and got it on pretty quickly-- luckily it was very calm.

3. Had good luck anchoring with the new Rocna. That thing is so easy to anchor with. I now like anchoring more than marinas, run the generator when I want, and don't care who I might be pissing off.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:00 AM   #26

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Glad you made it..... Hopefully a few shorter trips will bring your wife around.
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 AM   #27
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Update on the Keys trip...
1. Made a long (for me) open water crossing. That 90 mile crossing from KW to Marco was interesting with no cell service most of the time. Took like 13 hours. Kind of boring actually!
Boring is good! Boring is relaxing. More often than not, excitement means something bad is happening.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #28

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Check the island packet wed site for write up about harbor cay club next time your in the keys.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:

6. And the biggest rookie mistake-- I got a schedule in my head and didn't ditch it. I had reservations at KW and was determined to make it. When we hit the rougher weather in the Gulf I should have just turned around and headed back to the ICW and everything would have been fine.
Don't beat yourself up too much. A lot of very experienced boaters make that same mistake. Probably the error which causes more grief than anything else. Sometime when you have nothing else to do, read "A Gentleman's Guide To Passages South." (Not all of it -- just the part about keeping too tight to a schedule).
Old 06-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Just curious . Would a sail rig have made the ride smoother ?
Old 06-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Just curious . Would a sail rig have made the ride smoother ?

I'm no expert, but yes I'm sure it would have helped. The wind was blowing about 15-20mph when we had our rough days, and it was on the beam.

I got a quote to install a 40' mast with a full roller sail package (and chain plates and all other rigging) from the Island Packet yard but they wanted $60k. I kind of gulped at that price but maybe that's the going rate.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #32
TF Site Team

I would think you could get it done for 1/2 that .
Old 06-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What's wrong w a zig zag course.
The extra running time didn't match other plans?
The only time I have a problem w beam seas is when I'm pressed for time and to put myself in that position is kinda dumb.
Most of the time even a course change of less than 30 degrees solves the problem.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #34
Guru

Heading for the Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I would think you could get it done for 1/2 that .

Where would one get this done?

Boat is in Palmetto Florida right now.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #35
Guru

Heading for the Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
What's wrong w a zig zag course.
The extra running time didn't match other plans?
The only time I have a problem w beam seas is when I'm pressed for time and to put myself in that position is kinda dumb.
Most of the time even a course change of less than 30 degrees solves the problem.

I did zig to get the waves off the beam the first day, but the second and third days I think I had long runs and would have run out of daylight.

Again, a rookie planning mistake
With more experience I think it will get easier to handle.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:04 PM   #36
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Instead of Passages South, I'd suggest Bruce Van Sant's "Tricks of the Trades" -- which speaks to running your power boat as if she were a sail. Those on power boats tend to go from point A to B, whereas tacking is often a far more comfortable ride.

His Tricks book (the information within the pages) is the same as that found in Gent's Guide. As a matter of fact, I've got an old copy of Gents (4th Edition; #10 just came out last year) -- I prefer Tricks of the Trades as it doesn't have the specifics on island hopping. It's easier to read.

If you'd like Gent's #4, I'll be happy to send it to you. I have 10th and it (#4) is a spare sitting on my shelf. Side Note: Were I to do it again, I'd buy the 9th edition as it's spiral bound and lays flat.

And work on your lady in short hops, marina to resort marina. There's not much a gal would dislike about a marina with a swimming pool, bar and lounge plus a restaurant. And I know few men who object to a lounge, entertainment, with delicious food served at the tables by waiters and waitresses.

And the kids will find a video room too or things to occupy them out by the pool.

You're ot the first who has had optimistic plans go awry. You can fix it I hope. The IP's (sailboats at least) are wonderful. Friends owned Kairos and theirs was truly a treat. I'm sure yours is likewise as nice inside, and out.

Good luck with your lady.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #37
Guru

Heading for the Keys

I have the gents guide but need to get Tricks of the Trade book it sounds like.

And I always need luck with the ladies. They are complicated.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #38
TF Site Team

Quote:
Where would one get this done?

Boat is in Palmetto Florida right now.
Hmm you got me there . I don't know but that price sounded high .
Old 06-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #39
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
If you have Gents' the information in Tricks is in it. It's just scattered throughout. I prefer it in one volume with chapters for each topic. That's why I have it. Don't buy the First Edition/First Printing as it has a page that is backwards. They fixed that in the second printing I imagine.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:08 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
What's wrong w a zigzag course. ...Most of the time even a course change of less than 30 degrees solves the problem.
Called tacking downwind in sailing, but a trawler has no gibe issues.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote