Old 10-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #1

City: louisiana
Good lunch spots Kemah, Seabrook area?

I will be in Houston this Saturday morning with a day to kill and a convertible to get back to Lafayette (the better half gave me a yard pass as she is going to the LSU/Florida game with her sister). I figured I would head to the coast and come back "on the beach road". It will be a good day for lunch in the Kemah/Seabrook area as I plan to check out a couple of brokerages and look at a couple of boats. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Robin
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quite possibly the best place around here is Topwater Grill. It is about 15 minutes South of Kemah.

Outriggers is a popular spot as it is right under the Kemah bridge(on the Seabrook/North side). Excellent location...mediocre food. But it will be hopping on a sunny Saturday.

Sam's Boat on the North side of the lake. Not bad location and food is not bad.

All of the Kemah waterfront restaurants. I don't go there...a big hassle for a "packaged" experience.

Opus Bistro for a finer dining experience.

Sundance Grill on Waterford Harbor. Nice place. Decent food. It is kinda dressed up but I go there in shorts and flip flops all the time...it is on a marina.

That pretty much covers it for waterfront places.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
There is not much in the way of trawlers in the area brokerages at the moment.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Thanks Baker....I'll probably hit Topwater or Sundance.

OBT, I was planning on a stop by Bettis as I would like to see a Defever RPH. Wish there was a Bayliner 4788 for sale as that would be at the other end of the spectrum of consideration.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Thanks Baker....I'll probably hit Topwater or Sundance.

OBT, I was planning on a stop by Bettis as I would like to see a Defever RPH. Wish there was a Bayliner 4788 for sale as that would be at the other end of the spectrum of consideration.
I'd recommend Topwater out of those two. You might try the Royal Red shrimp. It is not on the menu and it is $18 a pound but if you have not had them, they are worth a try. Bascially a shrimp with the texture and taste of lobster...they are served with drawn butter and cocktail sauce....use the butter. You can also get a half pound if you are curious. Another specialty of theirs is the Smoked Swordfish Patè. Just an appetizer but pretty damn good. If you are jungry the stuffed flounder is amazing...mouth watering as I type. Pretty much any of the fish dishes are damn good!!!!! If you are looking for libation and like margaritas, their Topwaterita is damn good. Order it just like that...Topwaterita....frozen is better.
They can screw up just like anyone but generally they hit the nail on the head for best seafood around these parts. They operate a shrimping operation as well so the shrimp(not the royal reds) come straight off of their boats. They also happen to sell diesel at a very reasonable price... This is one of those places that started as a bait camp/shrimp outfit....and then evolved from there. Hurricane Ike absolutely flattened it...so they rebuilt it from scratch so it is now a nicely thought out building instead of a bunch of shacks cobbled together.

I don't know if you are actually from Lafayette but that is where my people are from(Broussard actually). Do not bother getting gumbo anywhere around here(except maybe Floyd's). You will be disappointed.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I lived in Houston for roughly half of my life and kept my boat at Waterford Marina in Kemah. Although we no longer live there, I have kept up with the Kemah/Seabrook restaurants.

The Kemah/Seabrook waterfront restaurants have had a long and checkered life. Jimmy Walkers (now renamed Landry's Seafood, a part of the Landry's mélange of Kemah Boardwald restaurants) has always been the nicest and maybe the best. Other restaurants on the Kemah side downstream of the bridge, have all been purchased by the Landry's group. While we can bemoan the demise of the independent fish house, Landry's still has some nice restaurants in their group. I like the Flying Duthman for a more casual environment than Landry's/Jimmy Walkers. There is an upstairs (more formal) and a downstairs (not air conditioned and more casual).

But across the channel on the Seabrook side are where the old time fish houses lie. There are also fish markets on that side as well. It has been a while since I have eaten there, but Rose's Seafood stands out in my mind.

Another fun place is the Turtle Club, inside the bridge on the north shore of Clear Lake.

If you plan to hang out for a while, make sure you pick a restaurant on the channel. The Boardwalk has the best view. Once we were eating at the Dutchman I think when a go fast boat slowly cruised by with their speakers blaring rock music. One of the girls on it's deck jumped up and while shucking and jiving to the music turned around, dropped her thong bikini and mooned the shore based audience.

It still goes on there.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

Thanks for the advise, all. Although I live in Lafayette I am from Eunice originally. My wife lived in Broussard for a number of years. As far as gumbo, I have a hard time eating it at a restaurant as I make a pretty mean one myself. I have had Royal Reds before and they ARE awesome! Now you have me salivating.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #8

Also, if you happen to go by Little Yacht Sales in Waterford Harbor Marina, ask for David Jackson. A friend of mine. LYS is probably the best brokerage house around here. Little also owns Texas Power Yachts located in South Shore Harbor. Jay Bettis is also a good brokerage and probably the most knowledgeable when it comes to Trawlers.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Ditto on Jay Bettis Yachts- we bought our Present 42 there.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 10-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
You will have to WORK at going hungry..in fact, just the opposite. You will have to work at not gaining weight. Have fun.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
RA, we bought our 4788 from Darrell at Jay Bettis, awesome service. If you Need to see one up close and personal, I am currently at the Beaumont yacht club (under the I10 bridge). Stop by as you head for Kemah if you need a break.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Best broker: Darrel Cottle at Jay Bettis Yacht Sales. Hands down. Bought a boat from him recemtly. PM me if you want details.

Best lunch:Classic Cafe (next door to Darrel's office). Don't miss the fried jalapeños. Close runners up: Cabo and Skippers.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #13

thanks for the responses.

Dimer, I am flying into Houston to pick up a car and driving back. I would certainly love to see your boat if you are available later in the afternoon today. I can head home through Beaumont. I'll PM you later. If anyone will be in the Seabrook area around noon I'll buy lunch!
Old 10-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
If going through Beaumont, try Frankies Italian Restaurant. One of the few places in this heathen area that serves veal.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #15

JB, I took your advise and had luch at Topwater....The Royal Reds were a nice complement to the oysters and a flounder sandwich! Thanks. I did stop by Bettis and Darrel showed their new Defever 49 Euro RPH and an old DF 48. I told him I was about a year away from serious consideration of buying and he was still willing to show their boats. He understands that fostering rapport and a good relationship is as important as the product you are selling. I will certainly remeber that when I retain a broker. BTW Drake, Darrel said you would likely be willing to show me your DF 50 . Nice of him to offer. Seriously, I would love to see it when my wife and I could coordinate a visit when you are down at the boat. Also, I did stop in Beaumont and met with Blue (Dimer 2) who graciously showed me his 4788 and several other boats in the marina. A great day by any measure!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #16

Eye Candy:
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #17

How did pics of my Australia trip get mixed in there?

I'll try this...

Sea candy:
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #18

And:
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #19

Glad you enjoyed!!! I was out flying but wish I could've met up!! Definitely a fine weather day!!