Old 10-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

City: louisiana
Italian restaurants in Houston?

Looking for the best Italian food in Houston. I figured this would be a good place to ask. So far, DaMarco is at the top of my list but, although I am a creature of habit, I would like to get some other options. Most nights we would be dressed for the opera so Olive Garden would be out. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

BTW... Dimer2...if you are viewing this...let me know when you and Michelle are going to be at Lake Arthur...I would certainly like to treat you for dinner.

Thanks,

Robin
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #2

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Alegría
Vessel Model: Overblue 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Looking for the best Italian food in Houston. I figured this would be a good place to ask. So far, DaMarco is at the top of my list but, although I am a creature of habit, I would like to get some other options. Most nights we would be dressed for the opera so Olive Garden would be out. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

BTW... Dimer2...if you are viewing this...let me know when you and Michelle are going to be at Lake Arthur...I would certainly like to treat you for dinner.

Thanks,

Robin
While Birraporettis's (sp) is not the best Italian food, it's only two blocks from the Opera House, and on opera nights, many there, both before and after the performance, will be dressed for the opera.

Look at Zagat's. There are several places close in on Westheimer that are good. Hard to beat DaMarco's.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #3

City: Sugar Land, TX
If you're out on the south west side of Houston (Sugar Land / Richmond), try Nick's. Awesome food. But beware of Nick, the owner. A lot of folks really like him, however, he can be a bit rude, kind of like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi. But, the food is totally worth it.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
If you come in by boat to the Clear Lake area there is Villa Capri on NASA road 1 that is outstanding.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Yes sir, I haven't been for about a year but my favorite has always been the original Carrabba's on Kirby. When Johnny and his mother sold the rights to Carrabbas, they each kept one restaurant, one on Kirby and one on Voss. (there are now three new Carrabbas on Kirby alone but only one is still run by the family).

Carrabbas

We are leaving next Monday, spending the night in Lake Charles, then Tuesday and possibly Wednesday in Lake Arthur. I will PM you when I am on the way!

Thanks for the great visit the other day!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
If you come in by boat to the Clear Lake area there is Villa Capri on NASA road 1 that is outstanding.
Hopefuly not today though. The windshift pulled 5' of water out of here.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Frenchy's in Clear Lake. Also DeBellas in Galveston. I will agree with the Carrabas rec as well. I gotta go do something....been awhile since I lived up in Houston but let me think....

Grotto is a good one as well. I think it might have got sucked up by Landry's Corp. but I hear it is still good. Same area as where you will be.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Tony's

Menus | Tony's

Be dre$$ed for $ucce$$

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
4 hungry/thirsty folks could spend a BoatBuck at Tony's pretty easily.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Here you go:
Rest of the Best 2014: Houston's Top 10 Italian Restaurants | Houston Press

Both Da Marco and Tony's made the list. I can't believe I forgot about Tony's. Grotto was a Vallone invention as was La Griglia. Both now run by Landry's. And both still considered decent.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Nino's on West Dallas.

No contest.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #12

Thanks all who replied. Tony's has been on our hit list for a while but they start seating at 6pm on Saturdays and the opera starts at 7:30. It makes it tight to get to our box on time and not rush the meal. That said...it might be worth being a touch late as I have heard the food is outstanding. I have been to Nino's and we really enjoyed it also; forgot about that one, thanks. Next weekend we'll be in Hou Friday through Sunday so dinner on fri at Tony's will be possible.

Paul, I'll call you Saturday to confirm about Sunday.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #13

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Alegría
Vessel Model: Overblue 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Thanks all who replied. Tony's has been on our hit list for a while but they start seating at 6pm on Saturdays and the opera starts at 7:30. It makes it tight to get to our box on time and not rush the meal. That said...it might be worth being a touch late as I have heard the food is outstanding. I have been to Nino's and we really enjoyed it also; forgot about that one, thanks. Next weekend we'll be in Hou Friday through Sunday so dinner on fri at Tony's will be possible.

Paul, I'll call you Saturday to confirm about Sunday.

Hope everyone has a great day!
No late seating at the opera. I would want to have the bill paid at Tony's (or most anywhere else) by 7:00 to be sure of being in my seat by 7:30. And one hour is not enough at Tony's.

This is why Birraporetti's is popular. They're pretty quick, as they know everyone there is going to an event; you're already parked, it's a five minute walk to any of the venues; you're not looking at your watch the whole meal.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Anybody tried the new "Tony's Lite", Ciao Bella or whatever it's called?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
No late seating at the opera. I would want to have the bill paid at Tony's (or most anywhere else) by 7:00 to be sure of being in my seat by 7:30. And one hour is not enough at Tony's.
That's what has kept us from booking at Tony'd before the opera although I will often eat at Pappa's Bros and make it on time as I have Valet service at the theater and with box seats I can be late and not distrub anyone (although that is not anything I pland on doing intentionally). Next Friday Id will not be encumbered by time so we will definitely book there. We will have to try BP's also.