Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I think Shell Morgan is where we will stop.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #22
Guru

Danny Richards Marina?

I did some reading and changed my mind about Shell Morgan.
Does anyone here know anything about Danny Richards Marina about 1 mile north of Shell Morgan on the Vermilion River?
North pier sounds much better but I don't feel like going that far off the ICW this time, unless I have to.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #23
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have stayed at Shell Morgan (4 yrs ago) didn't have any problem we tied up to a barge across from the office. You will have to be sure not to block the path of some crew boats that tie up there at night. I never stayed at Danny Richards or know anything about it
Old 12-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #24
Guru

Thanks Steve.

I was wondering about tying up to a barge.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #25
Guru

Morgan City Anchorages and Docks

Any recommendations as to where to go and not go?
I'm trying to stay 2 days ahead of myself.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Guru

Yesterday afternoon, we got off the ICW at the Mernentau River and went north about an hour to Myers Landing. My wife saw it on ActiveCaptain.com and suggested it.

This is a really cool place. Beautiful, serene and appears to be in the middle of nowhere. I pulled against the seawall to gas up. I didn't realize that water is only about 4 1/2 feet. Good enough for me, but keep that in mind. If you pull along the part of the dock that id jutting out it will be deeper. The channel itself is pretty deep. 30 feet + in spots.

Some old babe came out to watch us dock. She had never seen anything like this before. I guess they don't have any boats in South Dakota. She said she never saw barges before either and always comes out when they are going by, which is not very often. I haven't seen any yet.

The people that run this place are about the friendliest you will ever meet. This morning they called us up to let us know that their son was going to Walmart and he would gladly take us along. We are well provisioned and politely turned down the offer. We original planned on only spending last night here but decided to stay till tomorrow morning.

I would definitely recommend this place. They sell gas but not diesel. They also have a small store on the property. Several hunters pulled up in small skiffs a while ago. I couldn't tell what they were carrying and I don't know what is in season. My best guess is duck.

Check them out at myerslanding.com
Old 12-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #27
Guru

Houma on Tuesday

We should arrive in Houma on Tuesday, New Year's Eve.
Looking forward to meeting Steve, dining on fine Cajun food and plenty of R&R. Probably spend at least 3 days and maybe up to 5 days or more.

Anyway, we are thinking Houma City Park. Any other suggestions
Old 12-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Tony, saw you Sunday, I was exiting the lock at Shell Morgan, you were preparing to enter. I PM'd you my phone number if you have any questions. You have some interesting areas ahead, coupled with miles of boredom LOL.

Have a safe trip!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
................ with miles of boredom LOL.
You Think?

I have travelled these waters many times on crew boats but never travelled through here on a pleasure boat. Totally different trip. Also consider I haven't travelled this part of the ICW in over 10 years and several hurricanes ago. The admiral is just loving the trip.
We lost the genset the second night out. Fortunately, we have a small Mr. Buddy Heater and been using it during our waking hours to heat up the boat. Its not a LPG gas hog either. We, meaning me, get up early, start the heater, then wake the admiral, then she cooks breakfast on a Coleman camping stove in the galley on top of the electric stove. By that time, the boat is warm and it is about 15 minutes before daylight. Start the engines, let them warm up and we are gone.
BTW, we are not kids anymore.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #30

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Friendship
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Where are you now, Tony?
Brent Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hodges View Post
Where are you now, Tony?
BRENTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!

How are things in Seabrook?
Several weeks back, I flew to Seabrook from Gulfport, Ms. and stopped by Blue Dolphin and no one was around. I had gone back to pick up my van and move it up here.
We are presently in Gautier, Ms. on Mary Walker Bayou just off the Pascagoula River. Will stay here around another month and then head to Mobile Bay and northward. That of course is assuming that the winter that won't quit actually quits.
Since Katrina, I have been back in this area several times visiting friends and Helen's family by land. This is the first boating I have done on the Ms. Coast since before Katrina. I didn't realize how much I really missed the place until I came by water. The one thing that hasn't changed at all is the beautiful emerald blue color of the water during the late afternoon/early evening. Many years ago I had trained my eye to look out at the gulf but NEVER LOOK DOWN. LOL

I trust all is well with you and yours.

Regards

Tony B
Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #32

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Friendship
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
All is well here Tony! Glad you're having a good trip!

Brent Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote