Old 04-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Rabbit Island anchoring

I passed by Rabbit Island Louisiana,*near mile 35 East of harvey Lock*on the Gulf Intracoastal*It is crowded with tows*being loaded with* rocks transfered from rail cars by excavators for some construction project. The West entrance was pretty much*blocked, I haven't been in there from the east so don't know how deep it is. In any case it will be a very noisy and busy spot. I asked a tow captain how long the project will be going on, he answered "I guess about a year" I'd recommend one of the barrier islands or Pass Christian harbor.

Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Rabbit Island anchoring

I anchored there in 1999....bringing a boat from MS to Tx. Very quiet back then!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Quote:
Baker wrote:
I anchored there in 1999....bringing a boat from MS to Tx. Very quiet back then!!!

Steve's not kidding. Not quiet today!! We just passed through the Rigolet's. We saw all the construction. Railroad cars with big limestone rocks, excavators building a large wall. Storm surge protection for Challmette I assume??
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Not sure I'm in the correct geographical location, but have any of you seen any recent signs of oil still in the water from last years BP spill? Haven't seen any real updates on the news.

Carl, the last trip we took that way was Labor Day last year and at that time we were prepared for the worst. The Rigolets is a deep cut several miles long the serves as the in/ out of tidal movement in Lake Ponchatrain. As we passed there at Labor Day we saw a line of barges secured end to end prepared to serve as a wall of sorts I suppose if the oil tried to enter the lake. It never happened. That trip and this trip over were uneventful so far as ANY oil in the water, marsh or Gulf. There were areas affected, obviously, but Lake Ponchatrain/ Maurpaus, the Mississippi Gulf Sound and to my knowledge- all of the barrier islands were spared. Pensacola had the little tar balls rolling ashore as I recall, but nothing here thank goodness.
Charles, early spring of last year my son Mick and I took the old girl down the ICW past Rabbit Island to the Industrial Canal. As I recall, We saw MRGO several miles west of Rabbit Island, and it had already been blocked off. There was another project going on near MRGO at the ICW, a monstrous wall, 30-40 feet tall being built as I remember that stretched for miles!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
*Haven't seen any real updates on the news.
*It is because the death and destruction that they wished would have happened....didn't!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Rabbit Island anchoring

We were in Gulf Shores, Alabama in our boat when the Deep Water Horizon disaster occurred . During the week that followed we cruised up Mobile Bay to Point Clear for a few days then down through Miss. Sound to Pass Christian for a night, then on to New Orleans, a cross the river on to Houma 60 miles west of NO. We saw no oil of any sort.
In July we went to Gulf Shores by car for a week by car. We stayed on the beach front, there was lots of activity by "clean up" crews many fishing charter boats were being paid by BP to watch for oil in the water, they seemed to be driving around aimlessly, some with dip nets some dragging small booms. One day we did see a very small patch of tiny tar balls about the size of a large grain of sand. Every night there were crew walking around patroling the beach for oil or tar balls if they picked any up it was very little. Their area was lighted by a large set of lights and generator on a wagomn pulled by a tractor.
In August we spent a week, by car, on the beach near Panama City saw no oil there.
I have a fishing camp in Cocodrie, LA south of Houma the entire area was closed for fishing for about 6 months, there was some oil on the coast but none, that I saw, on the bayou.
I saw lots of oil in areas along the coast on TV.
When BP opened their wallet there were, and are, lots of folks grabbing at it, sadly some of the people who deserve funds are having a hard time getting paid, those who know the System are making out like bandits.

This fall the inshore and offshore fishing was excellent!

Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 01:25:11 PM
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote