Old 07-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Fort Lauderdale to Jamaica

Ok, just a little daydreaming at work. Thinking of retirement someday, still 10 years down the road, but what the hay. My significant other has dual citizenship, US/Jamaican. One thought is to purchase a boat, large enough for two to live on for half the year, (min size 48') that I could pick up in Florida, or other Gulf state, and be able to get to Jamaica. Looked at a couple routes via Google Earth and certainly looks do-able with the right boat, (I do like the DeFever 48's). It appears that you can island hop then a long passage around Cuba.
Anyone have experience cruising to JA? Is this reasonable?

Just something to think about while we're cruising around Puget Sound this weekend in 80+ degrees!

Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Hubby use to visit Kingston regularly on business and developed a huge respect and love for the Jamaican people. The one of our best stops ever was Easter in Port Antonio, at Errol Flynn Marina. Two ways to get there. You can go Cancun, Grand Cayman, Jamaica or you can go the Eastern Caribbean and cut through from the DR or PR to the Western Caribbean. Much depends on where else you want to go.

Most people go to Jamaica as tourists and focus on Montego Bay, but we fell in love with Port Antonio.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
B, I do agree, Port Antonio is quite nice. Spent some days at Trident, swam in the Blue Lagoon and Jerk Chicken at Boston's. Stopped by Errol Flynn marina and looked around. Kinda how the seed got planted.
Thinking Eastern Caribbean as SO has much family scattered throughout.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
Guru

City: South Florida
My wife and I have spent some time in Port Antonio as well, it is a nice place off the typical tourist beaten path. We used to stay in one of the houses on the road to Blue Hole, where the Tom Cruise movie Cocktails was filmed. Dragon Bay on the other side of Blue Hole is fascinating to watch when the seas are up, its easy to see how it got its name. Rofftop in town for nightlife, horseback riding on the old golf course at Frenchmans Cove. Probably all has changed by now, but a beautiful place for sure.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
My wife and I have spent some time in Port Antonio as well, it is a nice place off the typical tourist beaten path. We used to stay in one of the houses on the road to Blue Hole, where the Tom Cruise movie Cocktails was filmed. Dragon Bay on the other side of Blue Hole is fascinating to watch when the seas are up, its easy to see how it got its name. Rofftop in town for nightlife, horseback riding on the old golf course at Frenchmans Cove. Probably all has changed by now, but a beautiful place for sure.

Wifey B: We still found it incredible in 2015 and omfg the people there sure know how to party for Easter. I love that combo of words, "party for Easter" as it really made me think of the stark contrast of their view of Easter to that of so many who see it in a more somber view. You see the celebratory spirit of people who on the whole are living in relatively poor conditions. We didn't just enjoy as tourists but we celebrated with the locals too. We stayed one day longer than planned as we were just having too much fun. We left there filled with joy. Look forward to returning. Maybe we need to make plans for Spring 2019.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
Guru

City: South Florida
Half the adventure in going to Port Antonio by plane for us is the ride from Kingston. Amazing views on the coast road as you round the island, sheer drop offs, people congregating in the road at bus stops as you come around a blind turn, goats and chickens jumping put of the way, driving on the left side of the road is all by itself is an adventure,
And then you round the bend and see this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue-Lagoon-Hr.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	79078  

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote