Extended Stay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
This will be our first extended stay on LUNASEA, we have done motor homes for long periods of time but never a boat. We will be leaving soon for a few months in the Fl. panhandle then back to the north shore for a few more months. I would like to thank all my forum friends and all others that may have helped answer some of the crazy questions I may have asked in the past few months, but every time I got an answer it made me a little easier with my planning. THANKS AGAIN READY YES
NERVOUS YES :dance:

I did not know you could put a whole house full of stuff in a 45 foot boat LOL If something happens to the house while we gone we will not loose much because it is all with us LOL

Best of luck on your trip, kartracer. It'll be a great adventure. Keep us posted on your progress!

Kartracer, we missed you when we went through Houma! Have a great trip and hope we connect next time through.

Larry M

Thanks for your help all up and running. :thumb:

quote from Kartracer: "I did not know you could put a whole house full of stuff in a 45 foot boat LOL If something happens to the house while we gone we will not loose much because it is all with us LOL"

Kartracer don't worry about the mule just load the wagon :socool:Have a great trip sounds like fun . Keep us posted .

Last edited:
CONGRATS! Our dream is 1 year on the boat. First we retire, 2017. Then sell the house. Then head south on the boat. Hopefully we can take our time, 1 year or more and end up in Punta Gorda Isles, FL. Keep us posted, we can live vicariously thru you guys.

When you finish this first cruise , take a day and remove everything to the dock.

Much can be returned to the dirt house or simply placed next to the dumpster , for someone else to make space for.

If it all is "needed" aboard at least you can inventory it., and make a stowage plan.

WE ARE THERE!!!!!!! but not with a very happy ending. Two great days with two great friends. Day 1-- anchored Rabbit Island very nice place for anchorage, except for the pirates, will explain later. Day 2 all is well; got to Dolphin Island bridge 6:30PM - 30 miles to go; HOME, WE ARE THERE. Well not quite,10 miles east of bridge both engines shut down! long story short we changed filters, checked what we know, no luck. Called Boat US Tow! They were there in 30 min. Towed us to HomePort Marina. Now starts the repairs,
More to come

WE ARE THERE!!!!!!! but not with a very happy ending. Two great days with two great friends. Day 1-- anchored Rabbit Island very nice place for anchorage, except for the pirates, will explain later. Day 2 all is well; got to Dolphin Island bridge 6:30PM - 30 miles to go; HOME, WE ARE THERE. Well not quite,10 miles east of bridge both engines shut down! long story short we changed filters, checked what we know, no luck. Called Boat US Tow! They were there in 30 min. Towed us to HomePort Marina. Now starts the repairs,
More to come

Are you safe? Anyone hurt? You only had to wait 30 minutes for a tow. Not making light of your problems, but reminding that if that's the worse that ever happens, life is great. You did the smart thing and had a tow contract. You got to port safely.

As to the repairs, it may be something small. I know we think boat repairs never are small. But both shutting down at same time should give some clues for places to look first.

Congrats good to hear you made it. Sorry to hear about the engines going down, odd both at the same, time electrical issue maybe, or fuel? For sure there are lots worse places to have problems than Lulu's Home Port. Have a Margarita and some fish tacos! We'll be in Gulf Shores on the 20th for a week, by car, I'll give you a call.
Houma to Rabitt Is. in a day is good, locking through N.O. must have gone well.

Last edited:
Sounds like all are safe, that's the important thing. Also sounds like this was perhaps a shake down cruise. Both engine quitting at the same time - problem is probably minor fix. Good you have tow insurance. You're probably looking at a fuel issue or electrical - like mentioned above.
Your experience though frustrating is not all that out of the ordinary on a new to you boat.

Having trouble with WiFi,but all is well. Day one was 14 hours with a fuel stop at locks, day 2 much longer. Boat US Towing did a great job, Capt. Don out of Mobile was our Capt., I was very surprise how smooth everything went. Called the 1-800 number was questioned about the safety of all aboard and other stuff. Then was told to please hold on that they would get the Capt. of the boat that would tow us on the phone for a three way conversation. Capt. Don arrived in half hour and towed us to LuLu's. Once at LuLu's he put us right at dock; helped hook shore power etc. Charges were $1200.00 for 4 hours, I asked what would charges have been if I was not a member, same per hour plus a $500.00 call out charge. All I had to do was sign invoice and off they went, not a dime out of pocket other than a big tip for Capt. Don and his deck hand.

SO Kartracer did you find out what the issue was with your engines shutting down yet?

We think so,,,, Called Rick with Salty Dog Repairs, Orange Beach. Told him the events of the day both engines shut down, changed all filters etc. He asked what make of boat, when I said Bluewater he said you have a hole in the fuel control value and it is sucking air, he has repaired 2 for the same reason. Rick will be at the boat Monday to start repairs.

Sounds like you called the right guy.
Best part you don't feel stupid for forgetting to turn a valve.

Sorry to hear about the problems, everyone's ok and the boat sounds like it's in good hands.

Life is an adventure.

OD

Off Duty you are right "Life is an adventure" I just wish the adventure would be spread out a little. After getting things settled down from the brake down, getting to our slip and tying up, I was washing the boat Tuesday morning when I went inside to get water an never came out for two days. Came down with heat stroke, called my son and he told me what to do to how to handle the problem, my wife came down from Houma the next day. So now back at home for some R & R before I go back to Life's Adventure. LOL

It is raining at the beach, Orange Bch. pretty stormy very early this AM lots of canopies and beach stuff scattered all over and in the surf. I'll be going over to Lulu's later today or tomorrow I'll take a look at Lunasea, let you know how things are. That's a well protected spot.

It is raining at the beach, Orange Bch. pretty stormy very early this AM lots of canopies and beach stuff scattered all over and in the surf. I'll be going over to Lulu's later today or tomorrow I'll take a look at Lunasea, let you know how things are. That's a well protected spot.

Steve, looks like you managed to get a trip in. Where you headed? Yeah, you could get stuck at Lulu's for weeks if you not careful :)

By car, with the family (20 of us). From 91 yr Mom to 3 yr old Grand daughter.

Hey it still counts as a trip if you stop at all the right places! Lulu's of course in one. Something there for 3 - 91 year olds LOL
Stay safe and enjoy. Hope you have left someone in your place to welcome cruisers to Houma otherwise you will be sorely missed.

Off Duty you are right "Life is an adventure" I just wish the adventure would be spread out a little. After getting things settled down from the brake down, getting to our slip and tying up, I was washing the boat Tuesday morning when I went inside to get water an never came out for two days. Came down with heat stroke, called my son and he told me what to do to how to handle the problem, my wife came down from Houma the next day. So now back at home for some R & R before I go back to Life's Adventure. LOL

Dang man!
I'm sorry to hear about the heat stroke!

Yeah, life's an adventure, but sometimes too much of one:lol:

OD

I saw Lunasea this afternoon she is looking fine, the pride of Lulu's

Steve,,,Was she still floating with my luck I must ask LOL

Take a look as of last Wed or Thursday:

Attachments

• Lunasea 1.jpg
    Lunasea 1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Lunase 2.jpg
    Lunase 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 118