Depth, Government Cut St. George Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain K

Vessel Name
GITANA
Vessel Make
Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
Anybody had any recent experience transiting Government Cut through St. George Island south of Apalachicola, FL? Am concerned about shoaling, so would appreciate knowing the most recent controlling depth. We're hoping to go that way en route to the Keys next month.

Anybody had any recent experience transiting Government Cut through St. George Island south of Apalachicola, FL? Am concerned about shoaling, so would appreciate knowing the most recent controlling depth. We're hoping to go that way en route to the Keys next month.

My understanding is that it is not being maintained, and is rapidly shoaling. I have heard reports of 3' and less at points, but cannot verify this from personal experience.

I called a local shrimper out that way last night for you and he also stated that it is not maintained and would not recommend it. Were you looking for an anchorage or a way to visit without going all the way to east pass? Also when are you leaving? I will be heading that way on my planned trip to the Dominican Republic.

Ulysses--was looking for a way to avoid running all the way NE up to East Pass. Have crossed into the GOM via Government Cut many times, but these past few years it has been mighty thin. Thanks very much for checking with the shrimper. Those guys are what I consider among the most credible sources for such things. Our plan is to depart Homeport Marina on or about 15 November. When do you depart for the DR?

I am planning on leaving about mid December, probably stop in Marathon then on through the Old Bahama Channel. I will get that wood work you saw sanded, sealed, and varnished down there along with some topside work. Maybe on to the Leeward Islands. Probably see you before you leave, if not safe travels.

Gulf County Canal (mile 328) to Port St. Joe might be an option. I have anchored just inside Cape San Blas and waited weather once or twice. Nice, quiet and good fishing. Last pass I made through the canal there was over 10 feet and no traffic. St. Joe Marina is within a block of groceries, beer, supplies, pretty good breakfast too.

Thanks. Might go that route...Port St. Joe, Cape San Blas, direct Clearwater. See you along the way. Bon Voyage amigo!

Thanks. Might go that route...Port St. Joe, Cape San Blas, direct Clearwater. See you along the way. Bon Voyage amigo!

Yeah, if I were coming from the West then that is the route I would take unless you really wanted to spend some time in Apalachicola. Direct across to Clearwater from Port St. Joe should work just fine. Just be cautious about the shoals off of Cape St. Blas, since they go out really far.

I can't tell you how many times I have bumped there. In the past I've seen boats go aground while the dredge was working. It was always better to follow a shrimp boat.

I now go in and out at Carrabelle.

We went through there in spring of 2011 it was about 8' according to my notes. No telling what it may be now, we usually stay at Scipio Creek Marina in Apalachicola, the folks there usually had a good idea of the conditions or would call a shrimper and ask for you.

Back
Top Bottom