Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs
Vessel Name: Conchy Jac
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF 246
Weather is beautiful - 3 Rooker Anchor tomorrow

Anyone in Pinellas County FL that wants to take advantage of the best weather we've had in a while, I'll be anchored off of 3 Rooker tomorrow eve and heading back in early Sunday. Would love to meet ya'll.

Jac
Conchy Jac
Rossigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
We'll be at Three Rooker the week after next for Spring Break. I've been visiting there since a kid back in the early 80s--great shelling on the west side! It is one of my favorite places to anchor! Enjoy!

Little history... there used to be a small sandbar just north of Honeymoon and south of Three Rooker. Locals called it "Dog Island". You can see it on the old charts. Anyway, it was a popular destination until it disappeared in 1982 or so.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

let me know dates you are at 3 Rooker! Wonderful to hear someone has history. Now the big sandbar is north of Anclote and 3 Rooker is divided in 2 this year. It's different every year. Sandbars shift and there is pass through middle. I've seen it one big island, two, 3, back to 1, now 2 again..depends the years and the storms. Would love to hear the history you know!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Jac, currently in Texas (tax time) but Michelle and I will be returning to the boat which we 'abandoned' last week in Turtle Cove marina, Monday. PM me if you would like to meet for a drink and talk boats! Not sure why but we seem to happy hour most days at Shrimp Wrecked (maybe it's the dinghy dock)

Blue and Michelle
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Jac, currently in Texas (tax time) but Michelle and I will be returning to the boat which we 'abandoned' last week in Turtle Cove marina, Monday. PM me if you would like to meet for a drink and talk boats! Not sure why but we seem to happy hour most days at Shrimp Wrecked (maybe it's the dinghy dock)

Blue and Michelle
Lol, I so wish I could but work has me heading to NYC Monday morning. Will be back Friday if you are still in Tarpon? Shrimp Wrecked is great! Why Rusty Bellies doesn't add a dingy dock is beyond me. Let me know if you'll be in Tarpon Friday?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
We are thinking about coming to Tarpon for a few days the first part of April. Can we get into Turtle cove with a 4' 3" draft on any tide at that time of the year or do we need to play the tide game. Is that the best place to stay given our draft and desire to see the town? Sorry for the hijack.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
We are thinking about coming to Tarpon for a few days the first part of April. Can we get into Turtle cove with a 4' 3" draft on any tide at that time of the year or do we need to play the tide game. Is that the best place to stay given our draft and desire to see the town? Sorry for the hijack.

The "channel" into Turtle Cove is used by many huge fishing trawlers, you will have no issues. Just follow main channel. Anyone have other issues?

Heading to Turtle Cove I have 7' up to my marina where I have to make a decision to go to my marina or right to Turtle just before sponge docks. Hug the port side once you leave the main channel into Turtle Cove if you feel the need, you'll see you are hugging some deeper draft commercial sterns. You shouldn't have any issues but if first time going into Turtle Cove, avoid weekend mornings and late afternoons, they are a busy and skinny entrance, but worth it. First time, go for weekday or 2 pm ish, when FL has already woken up but still not coming back in! lol, just the way it is.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Vessel Name: Knot Dreaming
Vessel Model: 1995 Silverton 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossigal View Post
Anyone in Pinellas County FL that wants to take advantage of the best weather we've had in a while, I'll be anchored off of 3 Rooker tomorrow eve and heading back in early Sunday. Would love to meet ya'll.

Jac
Conchy Jac
If the wind dies down enough, we will be at 3 rooker tuesday thru thursday so I will extend the same invitation that Rossigal did and would love to meet anybody that can make it there.
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

3 Rooker

Let me know if you go Tuesday, I may be able to get out there Wednesday but will wait to see if you head up that way. Would love to hear bout the history you mentioned!
Old 04-18-2016, 01:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Waiting for the boat to be built is excruciating. Wish we could join you!
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #11
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Waiting for the boat to be built is excruciating. Wish we could join you!
How far along are you? Any new changes to report? Looking forward to seeing how the TT35 turns out.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #12
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
You may have the draft but not the swing room for your length. Call them in advance to set up a easy in dock slip for you.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Roger, I am 53 LOA and 3'8" and it's no problem. 4 1/2 draft and you have to play the tides. The river is deep but once you make the turn at red marker 50, it gets tight. Turtle cove is the only marina with floating docks, dock side pump outs, swimming pool and an easy walk or dinghy ride to town. The deepest transient slip is #21.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote