Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cdb. Thanks. A little clearer now...Hmmmm. It was assembled somehow so it must be able to be disassembled, one would think or at least hope.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #22
cdb

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Pearl
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 426 Classico Sedan
Like I said my fear is that the track assembly was it somehow epoxied together. I am also concerned that the piece of track attached to the cabin may be bolted and or epoxied before the cabin interior was assembled.

cdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #23

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
The photo of your bottom track shows white plastic/nylon either side of the center "rail". That is not depicted in your drawing. Also, your drawing shows a tiny radius on the center rail, and the photo shows a larger radius. What's up with that plastic/nylon either side of the center metal "rail?

By the way, that rail arrangement looks like what's used in light weight shower and patio doors. If a nylon roller rides on that center rail radius, the force on the nylon roller has got to be extremely high with a heavy OA door. Bad design.

I attached photos of our side door and my latest track solution (I've been messing with broken track rails for 12 years. I'm going with this UHMW solution because it's flexible and tough enough to jam it under the doors in situ. That said, I can get both my doors off with the center lower track removed.

If that 3/8" space at the top is enough to lift and rotate the door outward with the lower track removed, I'd unscrew, cut, chop it out. There are better solutions for the lower track. (Are you sure that the semi-circlular stainless rail on the center track isn't a snap/glue on to something under it? (I once tried a stainless cap over the rectangular UHMW on our boat....would have worked well if I'd widened the slot at the bottom of the door a scinch.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1605.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	89517

Name:	DSCN1606.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	89518

Name:	DSCN1607.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	89519

Name:	DSCN1608.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	89520
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #24
cdb

My drawings are accurate at least where I can see.There are absolutely no plastics or fiberglass in either of my door tracks, top or bottom. There are no secondary pieces screwed into or onto of the tracks There are no plastics touching the door or inside the tracks at all. These are heavy metal extrusions, either aluminum or stainless steel, that were powder coated. A while back I purchased from OA the wheels that run on top of the T in the lower track. They are heavy stainless steel with some sort of plastic wheel. I won't really know if they are correct until I get the door off.

OA's , even in the same model and model year can have certain details that are very different from each other.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9a5.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	89538
Old 05-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #25

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
The white on either side of the raised rail must be powder coating. Good luck (it's gonna come out at the bottom).
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cdb. Now that you mention the track may be through bolted to the cabin I strongly suspect that's the same way our vessel is made although all our tracks are wood with a SS track insert (bottom of door frame). I'm out of ideas...sorry.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #27

City: Statesboro
How did you end up removing the door? I'm having the same problem with the salon door on my 1995 426. Thanks
packboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #28
cdb

Removed door on 1999 OA426 Classico Sedan

To remove the door I figured out how to remove the top aluminum track. From what I can tell only the top track is removable. First remove all the small screws that are inside the track that are vertical. They are screwed into a hidden piece of 1 X 3 teak that is permanently attached to the bulkhead wall that the upper track wraps around. The aluminum track is slipped over the teak. After the screws in the teak are removed, pull the far end of the track STRAIGHT BACK, (not attached to any other track at this end). On my boat is was the port end of the track, because my door is to starboard. I had to gently heat the track to loosen it and soften the caulking and slowly pull back the track. Once I got enough loose, the track became a big lever and I was able to easily pull it off the teak hidden behind it. Be careful because the other end of the top track has a small flange that goes under the vertical track, so you will have to pull the top track out from under the vertical track. Once the top track is removed, the back door easily lifts out. I got replacement wheels from OA but I had to do some minor woodworking with a strap wood chisel to get them to fit.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #29

Thanks cbd

This is great information. Thanks for replying so quickly. With your description it sounds straight forward. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #30
Guru

City: Lakeland
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
For painting on the west coast, you only need to look a little north of your location. Check out Yacht Solutions in Cortez, just outside of Bradenton. Highly respected and skilled. One of my buddies is having his entire 56' Hatteras painted and all new stainless rails put on right now.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #31
cdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
For painting on the west coast, you only need to look a little north of your location. Check out Yacht Solutions in Cortez, just outside of Bradenton. Highly respected and skilled. One of my buddies is having his entire 56' Hatteras painted and all new stainless rails put on right now.
I know them place well. Had work done there twice before. Suffice it to say I found other facilities south that I think are far superior so the entire boat is being awlgriped now there. Every bit of metal was removed in preparation. Also removed all the windows and replacing , built new bridge dash and installing new electronics .
Old 12-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Siesta Key FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
I know them place well. Had work done there twice before. Suffice it to say I found other facilities south that I think are far superior so the entire boat is being awlgriped now there. Every bit of metal was removed in preparation. Also removed all the windows and replacing , built new bridge dash and installing new electronics .

Have they finished the awlgripping yet? I hear other boats are awaiting their turn in the paint shed! Merry Christmas, BTW!
SiestaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #33

Salon Door Rollers installed

Installed the rollers per your information. Works like new now. Photo attached of the track removed. I also had to pull back the ladder slightly for track to clear. Thanks again cdb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200113_110250176.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	98331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200113_110257930.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	98332