Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Ocean Alexander
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cdb. Thanks. A little clearer now...Hmmmm. It was assembled somehow so it must be able to be disassembled, one would think or at least hope.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #22
cdb

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Pearl
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 426 Classico Sedan
Like I said my fear is that the track assembly was it somehow epoxied together. I am also concerned that the piece of track attached to the cabin may be bolted and or epoxied before the cabin interior was assembled.

cdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #23

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
The photo of your bottom track shows white plastic/nylon either side of the center "rail". That is not depicted in your drawing. Also, your drawing shows a tiny radius on the center rail, and the photo shows a larger radius. What's up with that plastic/nylon either side of the center metal "rail?

By the way, that rail arrangement looks like what's used in light weight shower and patio doors. If a nylon roller rides on that center rail radius, the force on the nylon roller has got to be extremely high with a heavy OA door. Bad design.

I attached photos of our side door and my latest track solution (I've been messing with broken track rails for 12 years. I'm going with this UHMW solution because it's flexible and tough enough to jam it under the doors in situ. That said, I can get both my doors off with the center lower track removed.

If that 3/8" space at the top is enough to lift and rotate the door outward with the lower track removed, I'd unscrew, cut, chop it out. There are better solutions for the lower track. (Are you sure that the semi-circlular stainless rail on the center track isn't a snap/glue on to something under it? (I once tried a stainless cap over the rectangular UHMW on our boat....would have worked well if I'd widened the slot at the bottom of the door a scinch.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1605.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	89517

Name:	DSCN1606.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	89518

Name:	DSCN1607.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	89519

Name:	DSCN1608.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	89520
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #24
cdb

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Pearl
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 426 Classico Sedan
My drawings are accurate at least where I can see.There are absolutely no plastics or fiberglass in either of my door tracks, top or bottom. There are no secondary pieces screwed into or onto of the tracks There are no plastics touching the door or inside the tracks at all. These are heavy metal extrusions, either aluminum or stainless steel, that were powder coated. A while back I purchased from OA the wheels that run on top of the T in the lower track. They are heavy stainless steel with some sort of plastic wheel. I won't really know if they are correct until I get the door off.

OA's , even in the same model and model year can have certain details that are very different from each other.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9a5.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	89538
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #25

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
The white on either side of the raised rail must be powder coating. Good luck (it's gonna come out at the bottom).
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cdb. Now that you mention the track may be through bolted to the cabin I strongly suspect that's the same way our vessel is made although all our tracks are wood with a SS track insert (bottom of door frame). I'm out of ideas...sorry.