Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
cdb
Veteran Member

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Pearl
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 426 Classico Sedan
Time to spruce up a 1999 Ocean Alexander 426 Classico

Hi Folks,
I have been reading and enjoying TF for years and have never posted until now. I have a 1999 Ocean Alexander Classico in Sarasota Florida and I am thinking about painting the entire boat. It seems all the good painters are in Fort Lauderdale. Does anyone have any positive experience with painters on the west coast of Florida? If not, any recommendations on the east coast? It would be better if I could find a facility closer to home so I could more easily manage the project, but that may not be possible.

Also does anyone have a clue on how to remove the rear sliding door to the cabin? It needs new rollers which I have from OA. The problem is no one seems to know how to remove the door, including the people at Ocean Alexander.
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Welcome to TF. (You might want to post this in the Ocean Alexander section where the very few OA owners on the forum try to help with issues).

That said, have you tried an aggressive buff on the hull? Our 440 came to a beautiful shine after a buff with wool pad and a medium 3m compound.

Our 440 has an inverted "L" shape door between the sundeck and the stairs for the (lower) salon. In that design, the screws in the top track must be removed in order to lift the door up and out of the depression for the lower track rail. (So, the top track and rollers are attached to the door when it is removed).

I have yet to remove the side door, which is simply a flat slab door. But I'm fairly sure it will be the same when I do it in a couple of weeks. I did replace the broken/cracked plastic track rails on both doors a few years ago by simply unscrewing the old track, pulling it out (in pieces), and then pushing the new rails into position (under the rollers without removing the door). The UHMW track was bendy enough to force it into position. Obviously, if you're replacing rollers the door has to come off.

I've attached photos of the 440 rear door track area in the event that yours is similar. The door is obviously removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4288.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	87897

Name:	IMG_4291.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	87898

Name:	IMG_4290.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	87899

Name:	IMG_4293.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	87900
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
cdb
Veteran Member

Thanks Rufus, The track is a metal "T", on bottom. On top it is a "U". Removing the screws on top releases nothing. I fear they may have used 5200 to install.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1556307880
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1520.jpg   IMG_1521.jpg   IMG_1522.jpg   IMG_1523.jpg  
Old 04-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Hopefully they didn’t use 5200...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Guru

Thanks for posting the photos. I've searched all over creation for a metal bottom "T" rail/track like yours. (OA didn't have it when I inquired). Finally found something very similar in a UHMW extrusion and will try that on both doors.

I have a hunch the upper guide on our side door (which currently has a cracked/broken plastic lower track) is an inverted U like yours. I suspect the door could be lifted and rotate outward at the bottom (clearing the lip at the edge of the deck) if the lower track is removed. It would take two people as the door is very heavy. If not, I'll be forcing my new UHMW "T" track under the door and forgetting about it ....I think the rollers are OK. If not, the door will still likely slide fairly well on the new slippery UHMW track.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Essex, CT
Vessel Name: Neon Moon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 480 Classico
We have an OA 480 Classico with the same door problem. We can’t figure out how to remove the door without major damage. We’ve taken out top screws, bottom screws, and nothing seems to allow the door to be moved to allow it to lift off the track. Any ideas? Any success?
KevinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
cdb
Veteran Member

No success, OA suggested jacking the tracks apart. I know that won't work because the door still won't clear the T. They also suggested cutting down the outside of the bottom track down where the door sits when open. That is not going to work either for the same reason. Right now I am simply siliconing the tracks with RV slide silicone. It helps for a few days. Eventually I am going to have to do some major surgery at a good boat yard and build a new door system.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So—what about a very careful cut across the top of the door to shorten it and then install a new track in the top? Maybe put a piece of stainless across? I can’t believe they don’t have a way to service the doors! It is al ost inconceivable that a well built boat can t have door tracks serviced.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
cdb
Veteran Member

Cutting the wood door artfully would be difficult, but I suppose it could be done. A job like that I would want to be done at a boat yard for sure in case it is not successful.

Here is my best guess. I think the top track is two pieces facing each other to form a upside down U. I think the aft most piece is an F track. I think the forward most piece is either another F or an L track. When they are put together, sort of nested, they create the upside down U. If there are two facing F tracks, they are screwed together at the bottom flag on each F. My fear is that they are epoxied together as well as screwed which is why simply removing the screws does nothing. If there is an aft F track and a forward L track, then there is something in between, either wood or fiberglas, that the F track it screwed into. If they used 5200 we have a big problem that only demolition will fix. I would not want to put enough heat to separate 5200. You would do a lot of damage. I might try a heat gun, with a metal heat shield behind the upper track but that would not be enough for 5200. A heat gun would definitely damage the finish but it could be repainted.

The problem is OA's were built so many different ways, often for the same model. All the people who were around when my boat was built are gone. Apparently there are no plans detailed enough to show door construction. Last week I was aboard an 2006 OA 48 Classico. The door and window frames were were bright stainless steel, so it used an entirely different door system than you or I have.

Let me know if you come up with a solution. I used to boat in your neck of the woods.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
What about trying to contact N.A. Ed Monk Jr. on Bainbridge Island? He's not involved with OA anymore but he may have the plans for your model boat! (No, I don't have an address or phone number for him.)
Old 05-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
cdb
Veteran Member

It's worth a shot. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2019, 05:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Still looking at our problem -- the door is impossible to use easily. We're looking at possibly sliding the door most of the way open, cutting the forward portion of the track to allow the door to come forward/out. Our thinking is to reinstall with a white or stainless plate (strap) all the way across the top track to keep the door in place. Has anyone else done anything like this with success?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #13
cdb
Veteran Member

Are your tracks similar to mine? I think you are talking about cutting the top track in order to open the U. Even then I think you may end up having to cut the top portion of the U so the door can be lifted enough to clear the bottom T track. It is possible cutting out the aft most portion of the U track, may allow you to pull the top of the door out enough to lift the door and clear the bottom T. How do you plan to reattach the stainless strap? It might be better to use stainless angle. Do you plan do do this yourself?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:22 AM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr cdb. Post #3, top picture: Looks like that channel with the screw hole is your upper track and the lip on the stippled side has to come out. Is the lip integral with the stippled surface or is it connected to the track?
Might you be able to flush cut the lip out using an oscillating tool?

Old 05-30-2019, 07:31 AM   #15
Guru

I contacted Ed Monk about two years ago. He said he doesn't have drawings of any of these boats, and is officially retired. Nice man, but he's not interested in details like this.

I'm finally back on the boat and looked at the side door on our 440. The top edge of the door rides in an inverted "U". The U is simply a guide to keep it upright. It looks a little different than the photos above, but the function is the same. No way to remove any aspect of the upper guide/U without chopping up the boat. That leaves the bottom edge and track. As I said previously, the tracks on both doors on our boat can be unscrewed and pulled from under the door with a bit of effort. A new track can also be pushed under the door/rollers with a bit more effort. Also, I'm quite sure our side door can be lifted a fraction and rotated outward over the structural lip along the bottom...if the track is extracted.

Looking at the photos of cbd's track it looks like it might be an inverted UHMW "T" with a stainless cap on top. The white plastic sits in a stainless "U". If so, I suspect the metal cap can be removed (maybe with some difficulty), and then the track can be pulled out from under the rollers (after the track screws are removed). I suspect the screws for the track are under the cap. With the lower track removed the the door might (should) have enough clearance to be lifted a smidgeon and then rotated outward at the bottom. Again, the side door on our boat has just a whisker of clearance if lifted upward and would come out if the lower track is removed. There is no way that OA made that door a permanent built-in fixture. The solution is at the bottom, not the top.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
cdb
Veteran Member

The first three pictures I posted are all of the top track. The inside of the track that forms the top of the U is not attached to the back portion of the U. However the top of the U is part of the front of the U (aft most portion). This front portion of the the U continues up to a horizontal piece that forms a right angle. This top piece seems to sit on top of the whole assembly and is above the bottom portion of the U. There are no fasteners visable on this top piece. I am going to try to make drawing of what I think this is and post it.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. cdb. Yup. A drawing will help immensely. Perhaps a wider angle picture of the top track from a low angle will also help? I'm getting a bit lost trying to twist my head around the actual construction.

Also, cutting the door in any fashion would be my LAST option and from the pristine appearance of the bottom track and deck, I wouldn't touch that at all.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
cdb
Veteran Member

OA 423 door track

OA 426 Door Tracks.pdf

Let me know if you can open the attachment and if you can read it.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #19
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. cbd. Yup. I can see it but where is the bulkhead/ceiling/wall/deck in relation to these tracks? Again, I would NOT do anything with the bottom track.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #20
cdb
Veteran Member

For some reason TF interface rotates my pictures of the upper track. Can you rotate the first 3 pictures?

In my drawing, aft is labeled, so the bulkhead is forward. The tracks are not attached in any way to the ceiling in the cockpit, in fact there is about 3/8 inch space above tracks.

I agree, bottom track is not to be touched. It is captive because of the cabin sides extension, and is too rigid to bend and slide out. It is not attached to floor. Only attached to bulkhead in back of door opening.