Old 08-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #21
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Itís a Hendo and Flic displacement Special.
Well done mate. Looks the business!

Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #22

City: Traverse City, MI
Looks great! Nice Job. I have similar doors on my Nordic Tug that need updating. I will follow your lead.

tugbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Why not just clear coat?

Since your complaint was solely the dulling of the black frames, why not sand with 2000-grit and apply clear coat? You can shine clear coat to a fare-thee-well with a foam pad and 3M Perfect-It to look like a new car. I just watched it being done to an area of my hull which had to be repainted and then clear coated due to a faulty earlier (pre-me) repair. The stbd bow from rub rail to waterline from the cutwater back a foot was just redone that way.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #24
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Here it is, and if you can see any evidence of repainting, you have far better eyes than anybody I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug 2019 repaint of bow.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	91979  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #25

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Since your complaint was solely the dulling of the black frames, why not sand with 2000-grit and apply clear coat? You can shine clear coat to a fare-thee-well with a foam pad and 3M Perfect-It to look like a new car. I just watched it being done to an area of my hull which had to be repainted and then clear coated due to a faulty earlier (pre-me) repair. The stbd bow from rub rail to waterline from the cutwater back a foot was just redone that way.
As I explained in the original post, the problem with the frames was a deteriorating high gloss clear coat applied by the factory. That's the last thing I wanted to put back on. I also explained that I wanted a satin finish around the windows and in black accent areas. I do not like high gloss black for those applications. My comment about no buff and no waxing of satin finishes was simply an admonition to keep folks from ruining the low gloss characteristic of the paint if they elected to use it.

If someone wanted to go the clear coat route, aluminum frames would still have to be sanded, etched, and painted with a catalyzed clear coat (for UV protection). Your boat looks nice...hope it's a UV protected product.

Here's a better photo of the completed job....high gloss black (which was the original factory scheme) was not pleasing to my eye even when it was in good condition.

Name:	DSCN1666.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	91980
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #26
Guru

My clear coated boat is 14-15 years old, and that is the majority of what you could see in the photo. The newest part of it is what Emerald Coast Yacht Refinishing uses and is highly UV resistant. I understand the desire to have a satin finish over the black frames - looks good. I was thinking that if I had framing that was black with no corrosion or flaking issues that I could have a new clear coat overlaid on a lightly prepped coating and then "satinize" the resulting gloss with a light going over with a 2-3000-grit medium.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #27

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
My clear coated boat is 14-15 years old, and that is the majority of what you could see in the photo. The newest part of it is what Emerald Coast Yacht Refinishing uses and is highly UV resistant. I understand the desire to have a satin finish over the black frames - looks good. I was thinking that if I had framing that was black with no corrosion or flaking issues that I could have a new clear coat overlaid on a lightly prepped coating and then "satinize" the resulting gloss with a light going over with a 2-3000-grit medium.
I've looked at a lot of boats in the marina and other than our OA, haven't found another with what appears to be a factory clear coat on aluminum frames. They all look to be bare anodized aluminum. If the frames are bare anodized aluminum, they need a tie coat before top coat. If a tie coat is applied, might as well use the finish coat you want in the first place.

Applying a new clear coat over an old clear coat in good condition and sanding in an attempt to make it look like satin just adds a step....and you'd never get it as even as spraying on a satin finish to begin with. Clear coat obviously works well over painted hull surfaces. I used base/clear on my Jaguar...

Name:	IMG_5047 (2).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	91986

Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote