Old 10-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Olympia
Vessel Model: 43 Ocean Tri-cabin w/Cummins V555
Owning an OA I fully agree that the 1-1/2 fitting do not work. They are too small. Some OA have a 1-1/2 for those that don't have the 1-1/2 what seems to work for me is similar to the Edson Item Number: 272QC-150. The one that has the yellow disk and or the 1-1/2" screw in style don't work for us.
Another company makes a cone / funnel that does not have ridges works very well on my boat. The pump out near me has one and I have to get the manufacture part number and order one to keep on the boat.
Some OA have a fitting size that is about 2" who makes one that size?

Harbor Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #22
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
OK that's what I thought. My point was that with your own tapered cone rubber fitting you don't have to worry whether you or the pump out station has the right fitting.
True...but you have to keep a tapered fitting jammed tight into the fitting to keep a seal...whereas a "universal" threaded fitting will seal and will cam lock onto any pumpout hose.

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My black-tank deck fitting is the same size/appearance as the six fuel and water inlets on the boat. Thankfully, they are labeled/engraved.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #24
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
The state of WA sent me a free universal screw in adapter last year for the asking in order to get more boaters to pump out. Works great and way less potential for a spray than with the tapered nozzle.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #25
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
True...but you have to keep a tapered fitting jammed tight into the fitting to keep a seal...whereas a "universal" threaded fitting will seal and will cam lock onto any pumpout hose.
I don't think anyone disagrees that the threaded adapters are preferred. The problem is that the commercially available adapters don't fit a significant number of boats that utilize different thread patterns.

The question that was originally posed was from one of the unfortunate with "different" threads on his deck fittings. For those of us in that camp, we have two choices; 1) fabricate a custom adapter that matches the deck threads, or 2) use one of the cone adapters and hold it in place while pumping out.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #26
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I'm surprised anyone needs an adapter at all. Around here the hoses used to pump out a holding tank are fitted with tapered rubber cones/nozzles at the end. You simply push the rubber nozzle into the boat's pumpout fitting and turn on the pump. You do have to hold the end of the hose to keep the nozzle from coming out of the boat's fitting.
20+ years boating in the Puget Sound and never needed an adaptor. In fact for the last 10+ years don't have a cap. The pump out and boats have the universal cone nozzel. The Everett marine has their employees pump the boats out if you call. We are set for every Thursday.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
20+ years boating in the Puget Sound and never needed an adaptor. In fact for the last 10+ years don't have a cap. The pump out and boats have the universal cone nozzel. The Everett marine has their employees pump the boats out if you call. We are set for every Thursday.
Well then you're set for life. As long as you never cruise anywhere but there.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote