Old 10-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Grass Valley
Vessel Name: Plan B
Vessel Model: 1982 Ocean Alexander 43
Rollers for salon doors

I've got a 1982 OA trawler with sliding doors. We need to replace the rollers on the bottom of the door, I've already got the delrin track, but I can't seem to find a source for the replacement wheels or the whole truck assembly. Anyone know of a supplier that has them in bronze? I've attached some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
20181017_153716.jpg   20181017_153738.jpg  
Delta Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #2

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
Lowes and Home Depot has a similar product with a nylon wheel.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
MTW

City: Manitowoc, WI
Vessel Name: Mike Tango Whiskey
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 456+3
Hello Delta Dog,
I was able to get door rollers and key blanks for my 1995 OA 456+3 from Alexander Marine in Seattle (206-397-4377 direct line to parts), (206-397-4788 main number).
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #4

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
We have a sliding door aft that is actually not on wheels at all. It's easy enough to slide but won't move on its own even in beam seas. Delrin on Delrin would have a fairly low coefficient of friction.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
I purchased the same roller yesterday from OA Seattle at the number posted by MTW ($25 plus shipping/handling). (a ball bearing roller would be a lot better and will retrofit if I can find one with SS bearings).

The track is another problem. I find the Delrin/UHMW strips inevitably crack around the screw holes...then the rollers start bumping and grinded and ruin the roller. I'm looking at adapting one of the extrusions in the chart below, which would allow for screws through the wider side flanges rather than through the rail track. The trick is to get the correct height at the rail and also allow for the track guides on either side of the roller to clear the base. I thought about a U shaped track with the roller running inside, but I think dirt would accumulate in the U. Also considering just a slider on the door bottom like Sabre602, but the OA setup on our 440 is a little complicated regarding side to side control. Anyway this site has some additional possible track profiles...

https://www.professionalplastics.com...les-Guides.pdf

And I think the schedule 40 T-slot insert from these folks might work OK as a bottom track in conjunction with the OA roller. The guides that drop below the roller would drop down either side of the track and keep the door centered. Might have to shave a tiny bit off either side of the "V" at the top of the track rail. (BTW this profile is available in 10' lengths). The height of the track would be .7" versus the .4" I'm using at the moment, but I saw evidence of the door bottom dragging when I took it apart at the end of the summer. So a little extra is probably a good thing (for our boat at least). As an aside I'm using sliders instead of rollers along the top track on the sundeck door of our 440. Works well.

Anyway, here's the site mentioned above..

https://8020.net/freetextsearch/sear...=t-slot+insert
Rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Penetanguishene
Vessel Name: Loose Goose X, and second boat, the Benchmark
Vessel Model: 1994 Ocean Alexander 423 and a 1967 Chris Craft Constellation
I called OA in Seattle and they were able to replace all 4 door rollers as well as supply key blanks for my '94 Classico 423. Very helpful parts dept.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote