Old 08-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #1

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Oa mk1

Hello All,

I had a OA 66 from 1991 and we loved a lot, was like membre of our family.
A friend want a trawler to live on it and I'm looking for a boat for him.
I told him OA is nice brand and start looking, I discover some interesting model 50 to 55 from around 1980.
could you explain us the definition of MK1 and how many size was available?
we found this OA look interesting for him but advertised in 52 for me look like 55 MK1 could you confirm, any way we need help from OA expert ..:bang head:
Where can I find all history model ?

101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Why not just contact OA or a dealer with history handling their brand?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #3

Yes we can try but they more concern to sale 10 million $ yacht
Old 08-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: Puget Sound
I under stand that the MK1 was originally 50ft but several owners stretched them to 55ft
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
I under stand that the MK1 was originally 50ft but several owners stretched them to 55ft
Correct, quite a few have the 5' extension. Unfortunately not mine. As I recall they were built from around 1978 - 1983 only, and the production run was about 98 boats. Forward cabin layout options were staggered 3 bunks, island queen or 2 cabins, each with double bunks sharing a head up next to the anchor locker.

Most of the production run were as in the pic, but there were at least 6 flushdeck variants on the same hull. They have a really nice master cabin aft, retain the midship queen cabin (normally the master) and have 3 heads. Not all boats came with a flybridge either.

Engine options were two Lehman 120's, or Cummins 555 V8's, 270-320HP each. With the former you stay in displacement mode and top out at 11 kn. With the latter you get into SD mode and can get to 17 kn, but you need trim tabs to help get there. A re-power with a pair of 500HP engines would get you a bit faster and likely semi-planing better, less bow-up attitude. There were also a few boats delivered with Cat 3208 NA's, 210 HP each. You won't get above 11 kn with these.

Many have had, or now need, replacement of black iron fuel tanks. The root cause is rain ingress via the engine room vents, vertically louvred with no dorade protection. Some owners had covers for these vents. If not, tank repair takes time and money as you remove engines etc to be able to remove and replace the tanks.

Like most Taiwan built boats of the era the teak decks are also usually at least partly repaired by now. The issue was screw penetrations into balsa core, with failed caulking allowing water to migrate to the screw holes.

But, you get a lot of boat for the money. And a great layout. Active fin stabilisers and a bow thruster are very desirable improvements. Happy to respond to any specific questions you might have.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #6

I'm not sure about 5' extension was from factory or after?

Hugues
Old 08-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: Puget Sound
The extensions I'm aware of were done in a yard..
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #8

City: Bay Area CA
Vessel Name: Tango
Vessel Model: Nordlund Boat Co - 1978 Custom 53 Pilothouse
OA MK1 hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
The extensions I'm aware of were done in a yard..
I wonder how much a 5' cockpit "extension" would cost at a yard, when added to an original aft cabin/sundeck hull? If an extensive bottom job (and maybe an engine overhaul too) is in order anyway, that might be the best time to do a hull extension?

I need a liveaboard with a fish-able cockpit, and the inventory of those available on the west coast in the $100-180K asking range is not that great. So, I could agree to miss a season of fishing, in exchange for saving up more $$$$$ for an extension.

Has anyone here paid for such a job?
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
It isn't cheap. Three years ago for my Mk 1 both Delta (Seattle) and Philbrooks (BC), who have done the 5' extensions on Mk 1's, were telling me it would be north of $100,000. A significant part of the cost is the hull paint job which they both said was needed to give the best finish.

Now I think you could get it done for perhaps $75k if you found a smaller yard that had good hourly rates. Aquabelle has a flushdeck Mk 1, and he did a very nice extension for it. He might be able to clarify further.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #10

Thanks Brian. I am sure those yards would do a really excellent job, although I would be careful about spending more on the first haul-out than the initial/acquisition cost of the boat itself... I would have to be very choosy of the yard - "you get what you pay for" would be foremost in my mind. Be interesting to hear more from Aquabelle. I am thinking that if you put the extension together with a MOH of the engines, and a replacement of old fuel tanks, then you would start seeing some semblance of sense, in the money spent.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
There are two MK1's extended to 55'on Yacht World right now. One is $341,000 with newer engines and fuel tanks and the other is $349,000 with the original engines and fuel tanks. Go figure. This just shows how much more they are selling for with the extension than without the extension.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

Yeah... Rusted fuel tanks replaced, and major engine maintenance done, are not really value-added items. However, to your point Russell, the extension would be. There's another standard 50 MK1 in WA listed at $249K, 4400 hours on the FL120's. So, if I needed some overhauls, maybe new tanks too, it might make sense to take advantage of that confluence of "needs" and do the extension at the same time, making that one a 55.