Old 05-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Scott

Be alert. Internet shopping for very old boats and suggestions from us who are likewise in the dark can lead to expectations that cloud judgement.

Reports as to tanks and motors being replaced should keep in mind when was this work done. IMHO 3700 hour out of date engines and potentially leaky teak decks dripping on replaced tanks can be viewed as minuses rather than pluses.

Along the lines of Walt and if the vessel passes muster, suggest you price out the minuses and make your offer accordingly.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Model: Searching...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Scott

Be alert. Internet shopping for very old boats and suggestions from us who are likewise in the dark can lead to expectations that cloud judgement.

Reports as to tanks and motors being replaced should keep in mind when was this work done. IMHO 3700 hour out of date engines and potentially leaky teak decks dripping on replaced tanks can be viewed as minuses rather than pluses.

Along the lines of Walt and if the vessel passes muster, suggest you price out the minuses and make your offer accordingly.
No worries, I appreciate the warning, but the broker knows clearly that this is a "look only" situation. I'm not in the position to buy right now being overseas and all. I really need to see what these OAs look and feel like in person. I like this vintage and later 80s MK1 models, but I've not had the opportunity to view one in person. I just wanted some perspectives from fellow MK1 OA owners. So, "internet shopping" will have to do. Trawlerfests and boat shows will have to wait until we return sometime next year.

In any case, I'll share what I see on this one in case others are curious about her.

Scott and Malina

Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, I’ve just returned a few days ago from looking at the OA 50 Mk 1 mentioned in my first post. Firstly, I want to say I had an absolute wonderful time during my visit to Atlantic Yacht Basin. For those that don’t know, it’s an old yard, approximately 80 years old and family run from what I understand. Really a neat place! Not only is broker Bob Starr an absolute, spot-on great person, he completely understood and supported my idea of getting out and looking at these boats before committing to them. So, he cut me loose on the OA and a few others….a Mainship 42, Nordic Tug 37 and a GB 42 (which I absolutely loved). I really liked the OA 50. I think it’s a very good boat, both mechanically and from what I was able to take in, cosmetically as well. I did have some reservations about the engine room access and size. I would like a bit more overhead, I’m not getting any younger. Additionally, I cannot even imagine getting to the outboard side of those Cats, I think a pair of in-line engines would make a world of difference, but it’s a very nice and clean and well maintained engine room. Overall, I liked the boat and the layout, loved the raised pilothouse that was definitely a plus. It will go on my “to be considered” list. If anyone is interested in any details, let me know and I can try and give you my perspective.
Many thanks for all of your inputs. It was good to see it in person and get a “feel” for the OA 50, I think she’s a well laid out boat.
Scott and Malina
Old 06-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #24
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Glad there were no nasty surprises when looking at the OA. I used to have V8's in mine, but now with inline 6's I can get both hands outboard of the engines. Its not often you need to get there though, and if you can't fit then just hire a skinny little mech for the job! More room in the ER would be nice but I would not give up space anywhere else to achieve it. I have carpet on the ER floor, easy on knees and to slide around as required.

A while back I checked the market for these boats, and given you have not yet drawn attention to any major issues I would stand by my earlier view that the broker has it priced about right. You get a lot of boat, admittedly old boat, for the money.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Glad there were no nasty surprises when looking at the OA. I used to have V8's in mine, but now with inline 6's I can get both hands outboard of the engines. Its not often you need to get there though, and if you can't fit then just hire a skinny little mech for the job! More room in the ER would be nice but I would not give up space anywhere else to achieve it. I have carpet on the ER floor, easy on knees and to slide around as required.

A while back I checked the market for these boats, and given you have not yet drawn attention to any major issues I would stand by my earlier view that the broker has it priced about right. You get a lot of boat, admittedly old boat, for the money.

Agreed on all points! I appreciate your thoughts. I kinda wish I was in a position to get serious, but I'll have to wait.

Scott & Malina