Old 11-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
In all fairness to Walt, here's the condition of his fridge on Seahorse II the last time I saw it.

But I gotta admit, that photo recalls some funny posts of some fun times! Tip o' the hat to you, Codger2!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Much improved, way to go Walt!

I'll assume that top rack is for bourbon purposes.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I have a 2006 with 440 yanmars which I just love! hard to beat the OA 42 Sedan.
Walt;
The way this is going you may never get back to your OP question because I have a couple for you.

1-If you have seen the 42 Classico, is engine access in your boat the same ie through the forward steps and via cabin sole lift outs?
2-Have you seen the 42 with either 3208's or 6B's and how do they and the Yanmars compare for ease of servicing?
Lastly, any tips on what to watch out for with the Yanmars during the shopping process?

Thank you, sir.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Walt, if you have some Rescue Tape, that'd make a great replacement for that rag taped to your new cord..
Al, that IS Rescue tape on the rag! Are you saying that the rescue tape won't mar the hull? Geez, this is a tough crowd!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	46185  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:24 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
In all fairness to Walt, here's the condition of his fridge on Seahorse II the last time I saw it.
I appreciate the new pic! The new upright frig holds a hell of a lot more though.

And Craig & David, here's where we keep the JD. Renee added the lights in the liquor cabinet so Dave Hawkins wouldn't have a problem finding the JD.
(Like that's a real problem!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	46186  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:24 AM   #26
TF Site Team

Yup...RT is silicone. It should be very hull friendly.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Yup...RT is silicone. It should be very hull friendly.
That's worth knowing as I don't like the rag either. The "red" is to remind me to unplug before I leave the slip.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 AM   #28
TF Site Team

Quote:
Renee added the lights in the liquor cabinet so Dave Hawkins wouldn't have a problem finding the JD.
(Like that's a real problem!)
Emergency night lights. I love 'em, but I sure hope they're LED!!!

Old 11-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Walt;
1-If you have seen the 42 Classico, is engine access in your boat the same ie through the forward steps and via cabin sole lift outs?
2-Have you seen the 42 with either 3208's or 6B's and how do they and the Yanmars compare for ease of servicing?
Lastly, any tips on what to watch out for with the Yanmars during the shopping process?
I've never been aboard a 42 Classico so I can't comment on that.
My 42 Sedan has 3 entrances to the ER. Lazzarette, salon floor & under the forward steps. The salon entrance is by far the easiest. It has a ladder.

I had a 1990 42 Sedan with 3208s. The Yanmar 6LY2A-STP engines are much easier to get around. As far as tips on the Yanmars, I haven't had them long enough to make an informed comment. But, like the guy who fell off the Empire State Building...as he went by the 44th floor people heard him say "so far so good!"

1) Salon hatch

2) lazzarette
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	46187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Port Engine.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	46188   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-6.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	46189  

Old 11-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Emergency night lights. I love 'em, but I sure hope they're LED!!!
Renee did a super job on upgrading to LEDs throughout the boat. We thought they were too bright but rather than adding a bunch of dimmers, she bought thin plastic sheets that are translucent and in 4 different colors. Gold, brown, red & gray. She removed all the lenses, traced around them on the sheets, cut out the discs and laid them on the re-installed lenses. Since the LEDs have no heat, she was able to get the exact mood lighting that she wanted. They really look great and when we have a wine or two, I might get lucky!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	46190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	46191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	46192  

Old 11-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
I've never been aboard a 42 Classico so I can't comment on that.
My 42 Sedan has 3 entrances to the ER. Lazzarette, salon floor & under the forward steps. The salon entrance is by far the easiest. It has a ladder.

I had a 1990 42 Sedan with 3208s. The Yanmar 6LY2A-STP engines are much easier to get around. As far as tips on the Yanmars, I haven't had them long enough to make an informed comment.
Thank you.
Nice pics and nice looking ER.
There are not a lot of used OA's in this region to look at without a plane ticket so I have to lean on folks like you. I do have a few pics of Classico ER's and the 3208's look pretty tight. Cummins 6B's have more room but I doubt as much as your Yanmars.

Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
There are not a lot of used OA's in this region to look at without a plane ticket so I have to lean on folks like you. I do have a few pics of Classico ER's and the 3208's look pretty tight. Cummins 6B's have more room but I doubt as much as your Yanmars.
There is a 42 OA down here called "Sun Baby" that has Cummins in it and the room around them is very close to what I have. Except for the speed that would be nice to have in your area, (tidal currents) I think I'd opt for a pilot house boat. (Classico?) A hard enclosure (PH) would really be welcome with the weather that you guys get up there..

Old 11-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
There is a 42 OA down here called "Sun Baby" that has Cummins in it and the room around them is very close to what I have. Except for the speed that would be nice to have in your area, (tidal currents) I think I'd opt for a pilot house boat. (Classico?) A hard enclosure (PH) would really be welcome with the weather that you guys get up there..
Thanks for the heads up on Sun Baby Too. There is a decent shot of the ER and it is definitely roomier with the 6B's than 3208's.

While it would be nice to spend a couple of nights at The Little Inn by the Bay and reconnect with the Chuck Hovey crew in Lido, that particular boat has no appeal, to me.

But, as has been said here many times, everything is a compromise...

I agree with you on the appeal of the PH and there was a time I would have desired one, over anything else. But, "the weather that you guys get up there" is only an issue for you guys down there. Besides, it would need to be in at least the 50' range for a PH to overcome some of the compromises I see. Like aromas, noises and moods of 6 people confined to 200 sq. ft. in stowage class at daybreak. Speed vs fuel burn is another.

For many years I travelled our coast in nothing bigger than runabouts and 26-36 foot cabin jobs like Arts Tolly, only faster. A 4-5 hour run from Lund or Campbell River to Vancouver before sunup was not uncommon but my night cruising is in the past. It's all about laid back now and it would be easy to enclose and heat the bridge if necessary. I've never had an issue running from an inside lower helm.

So, unless something else jumps right up and grabs me, I will "settle" for what we used to call a tri or aft cabin ie GB Classic or OA Classico. Keep the occasional guest list at two and stuff them way up in the focsle.

43 PH to me it looks like it doesn't know what it wants to be.
http://www.grandslamyachtsales.com/core/listing/pl_ts_boat_full_detail.jsp?boat_id=2680494&checked _boats=2680494&hosturl=grandslamyacht&&ywo=grandsl amyacht&&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id= 22624&url=

48 PH same 3 cabin compromise and is pushing half a million Canadian...
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/Ocean-Alexander-48-Classico-2900664/Portland/OR/United-States#.Vjjmh9GFOtg

50 PH wouldn't do either, even if I won the lottery http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2007/Ocean-Alexander-50-Classicco-Trawler-2884491/Fort-Lauderdale-Boat-Show/FL/United-States#.VjjtmtGFOtg

456-3 = 48 of which only 3 were produced. It has a lot of features I really like and some I don't. The opening to the extra large cockpit from the aft stateroom I really dig but on this one, I don't think I like the Euro settee, clearview and a few other trivial items. 3 owners in 8 years though, I wonder how common that is.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/Ocean-Alexander-48-Classicco-2876373/Netherlands#.VjjvFdGFOtg