How big is your Anchor???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I have a boat that on the slings weighs 11 tonne = 11,000kg = 24,000lbs, and a Super Sarca of 22kg = 45lbs, and it is literally a drop and forget type anchor. I feel a bit lonely actually. Anyone else got a Super Sarca..? :)
Don`t feel lonely. Similar boat weight,same Super Sarca anchor, on 80M of 5/16.

................. He ment you can never get to big. ............

An anchor is too big if it won't fit your pulpit or roller. It's too big if your windlass won't handle it.

With members and boats from all over the world and a wide range of boat sizes and types and a wide range of boating conditions, comparing anchor weights is pretty useless. And as most of us should know, it's not the weight of the anchor that holds the boat in place, it's the ability of the anchor to grab the bottom and work its way into the seabed. A hunk of iron would have to weigh hundreds of pounds to have the same holding power as a modern day commercial boat anchor weighing 33 pounds.

Here’s a little thought experiment for those who spend a little too much time fretting over anchors. Why do you suppose it is that the IGFA doesn’t maintain records of the weight of each angler in their record book? They certify the breaking strength of every line when it’s wet, the weight of each catch to the ounce, but ignore the weight of the angler completely. In sport fishing the dynamics of landing a huge fish are similar to and probably worse than anchoring a boat in a gale. The anchor and the angler only need to hold the rode or the line, it’s the line that really holds the boat and the fish.

correct me if I am wrong....

the only record I am trying to break is my own personal record of not dragging anchor....nothing to do with a dynamic fish fight. And losing a fish is not the same as losing my home...and I love light tackle fishing.

and no, its not the rode that usually fails, its a dragging anchor. so the fishing comparison cometely loses me.

if an oversized anchor, chain and windlass give me that peace of mind...so be it.

now 5 times more tackle than I need for gale force winds when 30 knots is my personal max... is definitely overkill, but going stricktly by manufacturers numbers doesnt feel warm and fuzzy in emergencies and when sleeping soundly.

Last edited:
The anchor and the angler only need to hold the rode or the line, it’s the line that really holds the boat and the fish.

Try fishing and anchoring without a hook.
Report back with results.

North Pacific 43
LOA 45’
Cruising weight: 35,000 lbs
Anchor: 60# Sarca Excel
Rode: 300’ chain

Scott is spot on. Having survived 50 knot winds before I can tell you at that time I wish my anchor was twice as big and heavy and my rode was twice as strong. Friends look at my anchor and ask if is overkill. I always answer yes until you really need it and then you think it is small. Probably 90% of my anchoring could be with an anchor one half the size but that other 10% .......

Scott is spot on. Having survived 50 knot winds before I can tell you at that time I wish my anchor was twice as big and heavy and my rode was twice as strong. Friends look at my anchor and ask if is overkill. I always answer yes until you really need it and then you think it is small. Probably 90% of my anchoring could be with an anchor one half the size but that other 10% .......

Exactly
Even though we sleep well every night and having been through several 50s and an 80 plus knotter without dragging, if buying again with no constraints, I would up the chain size from 1/2 to 5/8 and supreme from 150lb to 200lb

A mate has a steely 5 ft longer than us and he has a 300lb plough on that.

Last edited:
How small is your anchor?
I'll flip the thread w my 18lb 50 knot anchor.
Only a 30' boat though.
I did another w a 13lb anchor of this brand (XYZ).
So design counts too ... perhaps more-so :socool:

Attachments

• DSCF0259 copy 5.jpg
    DSCF0259 copy 5.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
as one movie would say....may the force be with you...anchor threads are similar in thar may luck be with you.

those of us with experience and knowledge have chosen proven anchors of an appropriate size and live happily ever after.

OP, has any of this been useful?

Are you seeing any trends worth mentioning?

The only trend I might see is that each user's selection is different for whatever reason (boat weight, length, windage; holding grounds; anchor design preferences, etc.).

-Chris

The thing I thought would be interesting is to see how everybody is loading their anchors. As in a ratio of anchor weight to boat weight. Put another way is how many pounds of boat is held by how many lbs of anchor.

Like my boat w 17000lbs disp and an 18lb storm anchor is about 900lbs of boat for one pound of anchor. But there’s two very important variables beyond that namely the performance of the anchor and the biggest variable ... the bottom.

My anchors cover a range from 12lbs to 35lbs. Neither my 12lb or the 35lb is a working anchor. One is experimental and the 35lb is an antique. By standards put forth by manufacturers I would think for higher performance anchors like scoops and roll bar anchors most manufacturers would recomend 18 to 24lbs w 21lbs being average. But I haven’t read much about what manufacturers recommend.

But I would find it interesting to see if my anchor loading is normal or way on the light side. I’ve had setting problems (quite a bit actually) but once set no dragging issues. Since setting has little to do w weight I’m thinking my anchor range weights are about right. I got there obviously by looking at other boats and their anchors as they are mostly on the bows there for all to see.

Many here talk about sleeping well all night w no worries at all. Like they get an anchor so big it couldn’t possibly fail. Some want to find out how big of an anchor is necessary to get into that zone. An anchor loading range that is typical would shed some light on what others do. This may give great comfort to many and/or validate what most are doing. Some may think that’s following the sheep herd but basically that’s what we are mostly doing. The implication of this thread definitely implies that. I like to think of myself as an independant thinker but just saying boat weight to anchor weight information within this group would be interesting is admiting I am a following sheep type to some extent. Small extent I hope. I do think it would be interesting though.

Last edited:
OP, has any of this been useful?

Are you seeing any trends worth mentioning?

The only trend I might see is that each user's selection is different for whatever reason (boat weight, length, windage; holding grounds; anchor design preferences, etc.).

-Chris

My only trend is that I keep buying bigger and bigger anchors! :D. It's an addiction!

Group9,
I just get more and more.
You’ve got a good boat for supporting heavy anchors.

The Mantus 55lb Anchor

After reading this, I think I over bought! We own a Duffy 35
17,000 lb. I switched out our 33 lb plow anchor for a 55 lb Mantus.
Block Island RI is a bad place to anchor, So I'm bringing the big gun this year. I will let you know when I burn out my Windless.

Paul

42ft Novatec trawler
30,000 lbs
85 lb Mantis
200ft 3/8 G4 all chain.

At anchor 150 days per yr

Go with the biggest that will fit, and your windlass can handle.
You’ll never regret it when the 50kt squalls come in the middle of the night!

After reading this, I think I over bought! We own a Duffy 35
17,000 lb. I switched out our 33 lb plow anchor for a 55 lb Mantus.
Block Island RI is a bad place to anchor, So I'm bringing the big gun this year. I will let you know when I burn out my Windless.

Paul

Paul it sounds like you didn’t have enough faith in the Mantus.
When you go from a semi weak performing anchor to a new high performance anchor you may be justified getting a smaller one. Your windage isn’t too bad and the boat’s not heavy. A 40 to 45lb Mantus will probably be plenty .. big.

Look at the Mantus thread and get an Idea what other Mantus owners are using. But most IMO buy too big. Paul what’s so bad about Block Island?

All the windless has to do is lift the anchor but you’ll never not like having a big anchor when a big wind comes, in the middle of the big blow you might even wish you had a bigpgger one.

HaHa I’m not shocked a guy w a handle like BIG fish to be inclined to BIG anchors.

I’d rather have a GOOD anchor like a Supreme, Rocna or Super Sarca. But to say a bigger good anchor isn’t better would be stupid. I’ll not go there. Bigger IS better but size is only part of the elements of secure anchoring. But If I changed my handle to “BIG Willy” I’m sure I’d get some flack .... and hopefully not offers. Waduya think?

Big Willy

So you want to compete with Clinton. LOL

I agree weight isn’t the only factor, I do have a Spade anchor as my primary and when the big winds come I always wish I had a bigger anchor.

I have a 55lb Rocna. Has never let me down. 25000 LB boat. All chain rode.

You can park in front of us anytime.
I'd be taking a guess that 55lb is more than enough on 25000lb, but perhaps rocna arent as good as the Manson supreme hence the oversizing :D
I base the comment on us being 6x your weight and considerably more windage but only 3x the anchor.

We sent weight and picture of our boat to Manson and told them we wanted the armageddon anchor for her and 150lb was their pick (pun intended)

Last edited:
Pretty sure I can’t make to Australia on this boat, but thanks for the vote of confidence. [emoji51]

Dude,
I have a 12lb modified Supreme and 3’ of chain. 17000lb boat.

Haha I have other anchors but the heaviest one I normally use is 18lbs. XYZ

No I don’t imagine that big Roc would let you down. But every anchor has it’s weak spot.

Oh wow. Maybe I mis-sized this anchor? In the Bahamas last summer we got caught in a 35 knot thunderstorm out in the open, and I’m glad I had it. I had to let out almost all my chain for it to set— it was super choppy in 12’ of water and a grassy bottom.

Last year I replaced the F37 Fortress as the primary anchor on our Defever 44 with a 65lb Mantus. We primary anchor in sandy clay/mud, and have had problems with past sailboats with "Danforth" style anchors retaining a bite of clay and not resetting after a 180 degree wind shift. Last weekend we has winds that clocked through 180 degrees twice, and the Mantus had no problem resetting.
YMMV......

Y'know, I'm not actually sure how big my anchors are. Something like 10-12,000 lbs. I do know that I have three of them, and they each have about 450' of big ol' chain. Each one of those links weighs a good 40-50 lbs. They've saved my bacon on several occasions.

Attachments

• 7-calumet-4-13-09-al.jpg
    7-calumet-4-13-09-al.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 60
Blue on black, tears on a river , match on a fire , dead mans touch don’t mean much , as long as it holds .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom